PDA

View Full Version : TigerDriect Good Deal

Agent Orange
August 15th, 2012, 12:38 PM
The AMD 965 is a nice gamer and the mobo isn't too shabby either. Very good price.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3851370&sku=B69-0588&SRCCODE=WEM3221TT&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM3221-_-tigeremail3221&utm_source=EML&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=WEM3221&cm_lm=tdriscoll_1940@sbcglobal.net

barythrin
August 15th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Comparing prices quickly the MB sells for I guess $50 or so before rebate (I see it a frys for $35 after rebate) but yeah the processor is around $100 although you could certainly upgrade that for a similar price. RAM is $30-40 accordingly. It's not a bad deal. Does sorta crack me up since I wouldn't have thought about it at first that you need a CPU fan still if you do go this route.

I don't recall the manufacturer of my last two AM2+ motherboards. One blew a cap after about 6 months and the one I replaced it with I was messing with before work a week or two ago (wife noticed the file server was down) I powered it back on wondering why it was off again and was woken up when a bright flash came from the motherboard. The obvious smell followed so I powered it back off. I'm gettin sorta tired of buying new equipment every .5-1.5 years.

SpidersWeb
August 15th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I've never had cap blow outs or any real issues on machines less than 15 years old. My i7 machine runs 4Ghz, been going two years now.
Just make sure you're not buying the cheapest motherboards you can find. I usually go with a mid-range Asus.

Agent Orange
August 15th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Comparing prices quickly the MB sells for I guess $50 or so before rebate (I see it a frys for $35 after rebate) but yeah the processor is around $100 although you could certainly upgrade that for a similar price. RAM is $30-40 accordingly. It's not a bad deal. Does sorta crack me up since I wouldn't have thought about it at first that you need a CPU fan still if you do go this route.

I don't recall the manufacturer of my last two AM2+ motherboards. One blew a cap after about 6 months and the one I replaced it with I was messing with before work a week or two ago (wife noticed the file server was down) I powered it back on wondering why it was off again and was woken up when a bright flash came from the motherboard. The obvious smell followed so I powered it back off. I'm gettin sorta tired of buying new equipment every .5-1.5 years.

Yeah, since the chip is OEM you'd have to spring for a fan but they're fairly cheap these days. You might even want to go for plumbing with the savings.

Chuck(G)
August 15th, 2012, 08:22 PM
It might be very tempting if I were willing to wait x months for a rebate. Very often, the rebate's in the form of a "rewards card"--sort of a prepaid debit card with restrictions on its use. I suspect the rebate ain't cash.

Agent Orange
August 16th, 2012, 06:53 AM
It might be very tempting if I were willing to wait x months for a rebate. Very often, the rebate's in the form of a "rewards card"--sort of a prepaid debit card with restrictions on its use. I suspect the rebate ain't cash.

I've dealt with Tiger in the past on several occasions. Not too long ago I ordered a mid-tower case and received it with only a few of the required plastic snap-in hard/floppy drive supports. I called customer service and within a few days I received a large bag full of the things. I'm not a frequent visitor to TigerDriect but I've always had good service from them. Unless you are 'hand-to-mouth' I don't have a problem with the rebates. You are correct about most of the rebates nowadays coming in the form of a credit card, and there again I've never had a problem with them. If the rebate is in the form of a check you still must deposit it and that's what I do at my bank with the plastic card. It's never been a problem and we all would do well to get used to it, as I don't think the present refund procedure is going to change anytime soon.

Chuck(G)
August 16th, 2012, 07:03 AM
The last rebate that I had was an American Express gift card that specifically excluded gas and groceries and said card was supposedly good for only 60 days. Paypal refused to accept it. For the kind of shopping that I do, not many merchants accept Amex. I eventually found a local hardware store that would take it. I shouldn't have to struggle to spend a rebate.

Ah well, it doesn't matter--they're sold out.

njroadfan
August 16th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Every rebate debit card I have received had a link to a website that allowed you to direct deposit the balance of the card into a bank account.

Chuck(G)
August 16th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Every rebate debit card I have received had a link to a website that allowed you to direct deposit the balance of the card into a bank account.

The last particular rebate was from ASUS. Another screwy thing was that they stated that they could send your full rebate in 6-8 weeks or send it in 2 weeks for a $1 charge against it. WTF? And no, there was no ""deposit cash into your bank account" deal of any sort.

Mastercard or Visa rebates are better, but I'll still take a check.

Agent Orange
August 16th, 2012, 07:45 PM

In case you missed it, that offer comes with 4 MB of Corsair DD3 RAM

Chuck(G)
August 16th, 2012, 07:56 PM
AO, that was a good deal and I emailed customer service at TD to find out what the rebate deal was. By the time they got back to me, the system was sold out.

Oh well, keep us posted if you find other deals. It's much appreciated! :thumbsup:

NathanAllan
August 16th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I've never had cap blow outs or any real issues on machines less than 15 years old. My i7 machine runs 4Ghz, been going two years now.
Just make sure you're not buying the cheapest motherboards you can find. I usually go with a mid-range Asus.

The only issue I had with caps going out was with an under-rated power supply that had a bad regulator. It made the caps totally blow out in it, but the caps weren't at fault, it was a bad power supply.

Securix
August 16th, 2012, 09:02 PM
The last rebate that I had was an American Express gift card that specifically excluded gas and groceries and said card was supposedly good for only 60 days.

Weird cuz I got a $20 pre-paid Amex card as a rebate for the purchase of a hard drive from TD, and my local Stop and Shop supermarket was more than happy to accept it. On the card it also specifically stated that funds don't expire.

dorkbert
August 16th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Weird cuz I got a $20 pre-paid Amex card as a rebate for the purchase of a hard drive from TD, and my local Stop and Shop supermarket was more than happy to accept it. On the card it also specifically stated that funds don't expire.Fund don't expire, but many card issuers would be more than happy to charge you a monthly fee for "maintaining" that account. The AT&T rebate card I got had an 8 dollar/month fee until all the fund on the card is "exhausted."