PDA

View Full Version : QNX demo disk w/ internet. Wow.

MoonShadow
May 12th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Wow. That was really cool. I've been fiddling around with my 386/20 IBM laptop, trying to get it to use the internet (it has no hard drive, and only 6 MB of ram). I'd been trying to run arachne 1.9 and LSPPP, but something just wasn't working. Then the mime config file broke, so I abandoned that idea.

Just recently I downloaded the QNX demo disk and made a floppy, but found it wouldn't run in 6 megs of ram. Then I tried the same disk on my 486 box without any operating system, and it worked first time. I'm using a Banksia Wave SP 33.6k modem and some free 10-minute dial-up account I found.

Since the old box doesn't have a PS/2 port and has only one DB-9 serial port, I can either have a modem or a mouse attatched. Guess which one I chose. It's quite hard to navigate using the in-built browser without a mouse, as I can't use the [Tab] key to select links. I did, however, manage to log in to vcforum. Yay! It has some javascript errors though... (Erik, PM me for details.)

The next thing I'm going to try is converting one of the DB-25 com ports to DB-9. Then everything will be perfect.

Anyone else had experiences with the QNX disk?

MoonShadow

DoctorPepper
May 13th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I played around with QNX a couple of years ago, right after they started giving it away. Pretty nice OS. Unfortunately, I could never acquire enough real applications to justify leaving it on a computer.

As for your old 386, sounds like a good candidate for a MS-DOS (or FreeDOS, if you prefer). You really can't run any "stronger" operating systems (like OS/2 or one of the *nix's). You could probably coax Windows 3.x to run on top of DOS though.

I have an old Leading Edge 386/16 with 2 MB of RAM. I have MS-DOS 6.2 loaded on it and have a ball messing around with it. When I want to be more productive in DOS (I like to mess around with Turbo C++ 3.0 in DOS), I use my P-II 350 system that has removable hard drives. I keep an old 3 GB drive partitioned off into 512 MB partitions, and have MS-DOS 6.2 loaded on it. I may actually get Windows 3.11 running on it again one day, but I need to replace the network and video cards (no Windows 3.x drivers ever made for them).

Have fun with QNX and your old 386!

Howard

CP/M User
May 13th, 2006, 03:44 PM
MoonShadow wrote:

> ...I'd been trying to run arachne 1.9 and LSPPP, but
> something just wasn't working...

That's funny - I've only got Arachne version 1.61 & the main
page (which hasn't been updated since 2000) is still
distributing this!

Is Arachne version 1.9 available elsewhere?

CP/M User.

Micom 2000
May 13th, 2006, 03:50 PM
I downloaded and used QNX on my IBM PS/2 m.80 DX386 in the late 90s using the Floppy disk install and it worked quite well. I still have that disk somewhere. IIRC they tried to take it to market too soon with a minimum of applications at a prohibitive price. Didn't they eventually emerge as GEOS some years later with an interim period where they were known as New Deal or something like that ? Or am I mixing up alternative OS ? GEOS closed shop a few years ago. I don't mean the C-64 one by Maurice (something or other).

Lawrence

Starshadow
May 13th, 2006, 06:33 PM
QNX isn't related to Geoworks Ensemble. BTW i wish i knew what happened to my old Copy of GE.That was a cool little GUI in its day.

Micom 2000
May 13th, 2006, 07:14 PM
I was thinking I might be mixing up New Deal and QNX which advertised itself as WWW on a floppy. But I think they also had a package of apps they also offered.

Lawrence

DoctorPepper
May 13th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I downloaded and used QNX on my IBM PS/2 m.80 DX386 in the late 90s using the Floppy disk install and it worked quite well. I still have that disk somewhere. IIRC they tried to take it to market too soon with a minimum of applications at a prohibitive price. Didn't they eventually emerge as GEOS some years later with an interim period where they were known as New Deal or something like that ? Or am I mixing up alternative OS ? GEOS closed shop a few years ago. I don't mean the C-64 one by Maurice (something or other).

Lawrence

QNX uses the Photon microgui (their word, not mine!).

Terry Yager
May 13th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Hmmmn, I thought QNX was just YetAnother linux distro...

--T

DoctorPepper
May 14th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Nope, QNX isn't Linux. It's a proprietary RTOS, based on the Neutrino microkernel. It has POSIX API's, which allow for quick porting of some Linux and other open source applications though.

It used to be a free download for hobbyist, but after trolling around their site for a half hour, I can't seem to find the free download link any longer.

Oh well, I guess I can't experiment with it any more.

Terry Yager
May 14th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Nope, QNX isn't Linux. It's a proprietary RTOS, based on the Neutrino microkernel. It has POSIX API's, which allow for quick porting of some Linux and other open source applications though.

It used to be a free download for hobbyist, but after trolling around their site for a half hour, I can't seem to find the free download link any longer.

Aww, now I won't have a chance to play with it either...

--T

Micom 2000
May 14th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Well I dug out the QNX Demo disk and have made a disk image of it. Anyone wants it contact me by PM. Worked fine on my P II 64mb box but since I only have a DSL connection, no dialup, I couldn't check it for browsing at the moment. If there are too many requests I'd have to make other arrangements.

Lawrence

DoctorPepper
May 14th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Aww, now I won't have a chance to play with it either...

--T

Well, I just emailed their info address (info@qnx.com) about the demo floppy disk image and the CD ISO image for hobbyists they used to offer. If I hear anything from them, I'll post it in this thread.

Terry Yager
May 14th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Ok, tnx, but I think I'm gonna take Lawrence up on his offer...Y'hear dat, L?

--T

DimensionDude
May 14th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Had to dig a bit to find it, but I have the QNX cd, easy enough to make an iso of it.

I downloaded it and tried it out some time ago, I seem to recall that it didn't like some of my hardware. Not being a *nix person, I found it to be somewhat difficult to understand.

Don't know about the legalities, but since it was freely distributed at one time it should be ok to distribute once again.

If anyone is interested, send me a pm and I'll make arrangements for an ftp server.

Kent

Terry Yager
May 14th, 2006, 07:03 PM
That'd be kewl too. Mebbe you coulld even find a website to host it for d/l purposes.

--T

DimensionDude
May 14th, 2006, 08:16 PM
While digging around I also found the zip file to set up the QNX demo floppy. I think that it only does lan, no modems, but it's been so long since I've checked it out that I really don't remember.

Good idea, Terry. If someone here has a website I'd be happy to upload the cd iso when I've made it. I do believe that I've worked the kinks out of my ftp server :) so that option is available, too.

Oh yeah, CD version is 6.1.0. When inserted into a machine running Windows it gives you the options of installing, creating an installation floppy, browsing the cd, and something else that I forgot already.

Kent

DimensionDude
May 16th, 2006, 02:09 PM
An iso image of the QNX 6.1.0 cd is now available, as is the zip file to create the demo floppy.

Send me a pm for details on how to get them, or point me towards a website that I can upload to.

Kent

mngrif
June 1st, 2006, 09:18 AM
http://lsdmt.ath.cx

I only have about 3gb I can devote to hosting whatever, and it's over a 40K/sec link, but it's free for anyone wanting me to host it. PM or email me with a login/password you want to use and I'll hook you up with a shell and ~username hosting. You'll need some kind of ssh/sftp client, I suggest putty if you're a windows user.

The box is a FreeBSD 6.1 box, so it's nothing exotic.

And I won't restrict anyone on the content of their hostings o.O

GaryC
June 26th, 2006, 07:39 AM
QNX is a microkernel unix clone designed more for use in remote processing like ATMs, alarm monitoring systems and embedded controllers. The I-Opener Web Terminals used QNX as the base OS.

chuckcmagee
September 27th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I recently bounced around the QNX website. I just signed up for a few 30 day trials and downloaded away. The legalize is only the RTOS QNX part is free. I am not really interested in the part they want money for anyway, I never did get to design and impliment any embedded systems. I have only played with QNX a short time, so far I haven't managed to get the networking to work on my RTL8139 or Broadcom 4306 nics. I get the strong feeling that that partition is gonna get wiped soon.

DoctorPepper
September 28th, 2006, 04:59 AM
I recently bounced around the QNX website. I just signed up for a few 30 day trials and downloaded away. The legalize is only the RTOS QNX part is free. I am not really interested in the part they want money for anyway, I never did get to design and impliment any embedded systems. I have only played with QNX a short time, so far I haven't managed to get the networking to work on my RTL8139 or Broadcom 4306 nics. I get the strong feeling that that partition is gonna get wiped soon.

I had similar problems getting QNX to "see" my network cards. Apparently it is very much like Solaris, in that the hardware it will work with is severly limited.

Personally, I'd rather use a stripped-down version of Linux or one of the BSD's. The only real benefit to QNX is the fact that it is a RTOS (Real Time Operating System), and will perform better on older systems.

If you have an older computer you'd like to put a more modern OS on, you should look at BeOS. You can still download BeOS Max Edition (which is a tricked-out update to the BeOS PE (Personal Edition) release:

http://www.bebits.com/app/3148

Click on the download link.

If you've never used BeOS, you are in for a very pleasant surprise!

earthsound
April 26th, 2007, 08:13 AM

For those interested in QNX, you will find valuable information here:

http://www.openqnx.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=259

It includes a link to a mirror hosting QNX4 Demo Disk:

http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/qnx/demodisk

enjoy!