PDA

View Full Version : Does one get a chubby from a $700 keyboard?

Knuckledragger
August 19th, 2012, 05:10 AM
I am certain this has been discussed before in the past by the old guard but for the sake of us that have not been on the block for the past ten years or perhaps more so my own ignorant curiosity, I have to ask. Is this for real? I’m sorry; I don’t get it!
I came across this auction on eBay last week due to the fact that eBay slid it down in the lower portion of my browser pitching it to me as “items you may be interested in due to your past purchases.” I guess they figured since I bought a couple of keyboards last year for my old Tandy 1000’s and recently purchased a wireless one with drivers for WIN95 that I would be one of the ones looking for a $700 IBM Model 15 keyboard. While I hated to disappoint them I did place it in my watched item box and kept tabs on it. What I found most amusing was the link the seller placed in his auction in an attempt to bolster the bidding war; I guess it did not stir up the feeding frenzy he/she was hoping for.
But back to my main question and the title of my thread: Does one get a chubby when using a $700 keyboard? Better yet, does one achieve orgasm or have some sort of spiritual awakening when typing on a $1600 plus keyboard? Again, I’m sorry, I just don’t get it! All I can say is that if I had a $1600-$1700 keyboard I probably would have it encased in a bullet proof display case, shotgun bolted to the floor, and hooked up to an electrocution security device in case anyone attempted to even touch it, not to mention a sizable amount of insurance on the damn thing.
If anyone here is the owner of one of these and reads this then please be advised that it is not my intention to offend anyone concerning this; I am generally curious as to “how it feels” to type on a $700 keyboard or better yet a $1600 one. I suppose one cannot use the term “worth their weight in gold” due to their obvious weight and given the current prices of gold today. But still, can you imagine what one unused and still shrink wrapped from the factory would possibly go for? I believe the return investment would be 4-5 folds in less than twenty years and in my book that is pretty darn good. If I had been smart enough to stash back about ten of these things (along with a few other now insane items) when I had spare $$ I believe I would be the one feeling that chubby! :cool:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=110932061940&nma=true&rt=nc&si=qSHCJ0%252F0fmRaak1vSxgrjVE85G0%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

RickNel
August 19th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I think your answer is that five bidders competed for that item and the seller got $10 above the buy-now price for it. To fake that auction would have cost seller about $35, so the market must exist. No my scene, though.

Chubless

NeXT
August 19th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I call it dangerously hipster. Most people can and will settle for almost any keyboard you throw at them but there is so much snake oil floating around now about keyboards.
Multiple keypresses? Enhanced response time? Tactile response? Rare revision from before you were born? Give me a break. It's a f***ing keyboard.

MrRedHat
August 20th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Funny you should bring this up.

I was in the market for a particular vintage keyboard. I searched eBay over the weekend and found one. The seller wanted $100 for the keyboard. The keyboard has a broken key and looks a little dirty. I thought to myself, “Wow, this guy is nuts, there’s no way I’m paying $100 for the keyboard”.

Just a few minutes ago, I saw the exact keyboard I wanted in mint condition (a little dirty, but easily cleaned). They were asking $15 for the keyboard and I bought within 1 minute of seeing it.

I guess that’s the reason why you see the $100 keyboard all the time, the $15 ones get bought within 1 minute of being posted. :)

njroadfan
August 20th, 2012, 10:49 AM
What I'm trying to figure out is..... who the heck has $710 of disposable income to spend on a keyboard in this economy? In some areas of the country, that is a rent payment!

MrRedHat
August 20th, 2012, 11:04 AM
What I'm trying to figure out is..... who the heck has $710 of disposable to spend on a keyboard in this economy? In some areas of the country, that is a rent payment!

I don't know anyone who has that kind of disposable income, but that's more than my mortgage payment for the month. :)

DOS lives on!!
August 20th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I just don't see the sense in bumping a current bid of 67.85 to 599.00. That's wasting a lump sum of cash without being smart and well..., being smart. I would take the extra time and energy of bumping the price in *lower* increments to have a better chance of getting it for a lower price than just throw it all in at once.