PDA

View Full Version : Can you create Amiga disks from ADF files?

dongfeng
May 13th, 2006, 05:36 AM
I have an Amiga 500 (with the 512MB memory exapansion), and was wondering if there is any way to create an Amiga-readable disk from an ADF file downloaded from the Internet?

My original copy of Bubble Bobble is unreadable, and it would be nice to replace it to play again :)

THB
May 13th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Indeed you can, you will need a serial null modem cable to transfer the ADFs over to the Amiga from the PC and a program called Amiga Explorer which can be bought from this site: http://www.amigaforever.com/ae/

There are free alternatives but they are not as easy to use.

More information can be found here: http://eab.abime.net/faq.php?faq=amiga_faq#faq_games_xfer_faq

Computer Collector
May 13th, 2006, 01:48 PM
what is an ADF file? I have a 500 also, and this sounds intersting. Ill have to check out that site

dongfeng
May 13th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Thank you THB, I shall certainly look in to that!

Computer Collector, an ADF file is a file image of an Amiga disk used in emulators such as WinUAE. They are easily downloaded on the Internet (if you know where to look). I have a lot of original software for my 500, but sadly some disks have broken over time :(

carlsson
May 13th, 2006, 03:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the ADF format originates from DMS? I would think there are ADF unpackers native on the Amiga, if you have CrossDOS or other facility to read PC formatted floppies.

dongfeng
May 13th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I think they will only work on Kickstart 2 and above, not with my lowly 500 and Kickstart 1.3! The best way to do it is apparently with an A1200 with a hard drive.

carlsson
May 13th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Aaww. Question which is most doable:

1. Get an Amiga 500+/600/1200 with suitable software on Amiga disks
2. Get a Catweasel PCI and cross your thumbs that it can write Amiga disks
3. Find a friend/someone else who can convert disks for you

There may be experimental PC software to read Amiga disks, given certain models on 3.5" drives and chipsets, but writing them seems much harder without a special disk controller (which is what the Catweasel is).

THB
May 13th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I think they will only work on Kickstart 2 and above, not with my lowly 500 and Kickstart 1.3! The best way to do it is apparently with an A1200 with a hard drive.

Not the case at all, Amiga Explorer and a null-modem cable to your PC will work fine with WB1.3 on kickstart 1.3 with the amount of memory you have and no hard drive, I have done this myself. Let me know if you need more help.

Once set up it is a drag and drop operation, on the PC you drag the adf file onto the df0: icon and if there is a blank write enabled disk in df0: it will be written onto the disk.

I have noticed UnknownK is a member on these boards he was also very active on the English Amiga Board and can confirm all this.

I am new around here so I need to check the rules on posting to websites with old commercial amiga software but they can be found quite easily using a search engine.

ADF = Amiga Disk File
DMS = Diskmasher compression tool

Terry Yager
May 13th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I am new around here so I need to check the rules on posting to websites with old commercial amiga software but they can be found quite easily using a search engine.

That's refreshing...a new member who's polite enough to get the lay of the land before posting sum'n that might be inapproriate. Kudos to your 'Net-iquite'...

--T