PDA

View Full Version : Intergraph TD-310

Caluser2000
August 19th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I was given an Intergraph TD 310 today. It's got 128megs of ram, a couple of SCSI HDDs, a SCSI CDR/W and floppy drive. I currently has XP Pro on it which does run surprisingly well. I've set to classic a it doesn't disk as much as the default theme. I'd like your opinions on what OS would make the best use of this kit. My understanding is it was designed from the outset to run NT. It does have a socket for a second processor. This is my first Pentium Pro and full on SCSI based system btw.At the moment the bios is pass worded. Haven't found a board layout diagram yet.

Anyone familiar with these that can give some insight on the background of these things?

Edit:- found a servicing pdf.

SiliconClassics
August 24th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Those late-90's Intergraphs were cool machines - they started stealing SGI's thunder in the 3D animation and post-production market.

The TD-310 was designed for Win NT Workstation 4.0, and it's probably still the most appropriate OS. It has all the core features of XP (flat / protected memory model, reliable multitasking, multiprocessing, etc) without the bloat and gimmickery. A properly configured NT system can boot within 32MB of RAM, which leaves you lots of memory left over to run all the nice 3D animation apps that your Intergraph was designed for.

I'd suggest installing a pair of the fastest PPro processors that the motherboard can handle, maxing-out the ram at 512MB, and adding an Intergraph Realizm, Intense3D, or Wildcat accelerator card (you can probably find out which cards were meant for that system by reading the service guide). You'd then have a pretty competent 3D modeling workstation on your hands, appropriate for 3D Studio MAX 2, Softimage|3D 3.x, and early versions of Maya.

Compgeke
August 24th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I would recommend Windows NT 4, 2000 at the newest. Anything DOS based can only use a single processor, so Win 95\98\ME won't be able to use the processing power (nor the ram anyways).

As for the 32 MB ram booting, I can verify that as NT4 runs quite well on a 66 MHz DX2 with 32 MB ram on a 2.1 gig IBM SCSI drive (Tekram DC390 SCSI controller). One thing about NT4 is I've seen far more NT4 Workstation computers running SCSI than I have any other OS. I assume this is because IDE wasn't great back in the mid 90s, and the IDE drives also were't at the 10k RPM for greater speeds like some of those old SCSI drives were.

Caluser2000
August 24th, 2012, 01:39 PM
It is an interesting piece of kit. Showing it's age a bit with some rust on the psu housing and a few spiders have taken residence. There's occasionally an odd stop error on boot up but a reset seems to get over that. I've ran NT 4 on a number boxen from a P1 133 up, even got usb running fine for transfering files via sneakernet ;). It came with an add-on PCI usb card as well but I might just pull that and put it in one of my ss7 machines running Linux. Thanks for the feed back guys.

I like the fact doesn't need a special keyboard or mouse. Talking to the guy I got this on off it saw duty in a coms centre and the keyboard it originally had came with a built-in trackball. Would be cool to score on of those.

Reset the Bios by putting a jumper on J16 so no prompting now. It's just next the the video adapter on the lh side of the expansion riser. Disabled the onboard IDE and we're away laughing.

Anyone got disk images of the Software Configuration Utility (SCU) disks it configure the ISA slots? Also after the SYSUTIL disk if anyone has a copy.

Caluser2000
November 21st, 2014, 10:01 AM
Still got this and haven't really done anything with it. I did receive a copy of w2k this week though. May just strip out the Scsi HDDs and CDRoms. Apart from having a Pentium Pro processor there's doesn't seem to be anything unusual it'll want to run that I can't install on one of my other systems anyway.