PDA

View Full Version : UNIVAC I / II Console Video

Jason Perlow
May 17th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Greetings:

I recently encountered a working UNIVAC console and I took a short video of it. Please share and enjoy:

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2006/05/16/winky-blinky-lights/

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/files/2006/05/univac1.jpg

Terry Yager
May 17th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Awww, kewl...blinkenlights!

--T

Jason Perlow
May 17th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Awww, kewl...blinkenlights!

--T

Yeah I was totally mesmerized by this thing for about a half an hour.

I have some sales documentation that I have photographed, I'm going to get all the images into a Word file and then PDF it shortly.

Jason Perlow
May 17th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I've updated the blog entry with a download link for the PDF file.

EDIT: Updated with additional UNIVAC material.

Terry Yager
May 17th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Well, tnx for at least getting images of it...it's probably as close as most of us will ever come to a real, functional UNIVAC.

--T

Jason Perlow
May 17th, 2006, 03:05 PM
I tell you what, that main console unit would make a really sick PC case mod.

Vlad
May 17th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Wow, thats pretty kewl. That had to pretty cool to see.

-VK

billdeg
May 24th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I have a core memory card for a UNIVAC. I should go check that machine out sometime, I live relatively near by.

Micom 2000
May 24th, 2006, 07:27 PM
I remember back in the early 90s seeing something very similar in a Sally-Ann Thrift. No matter how I wriggled and danced I just couldn't justify my bringing it home to my 1BR apartment much less than the power it would consume. There was a guy in southern Ontario (Kevin Scroggins ?) who collected main-frames and some minis and who also wrote a book on collecting. He managed to store his monsters when he wasn't displaying them in shows or librairies, with sympathetic factory owners.

I was in contact with him several times. He was quite eccentric and could be abrasive(understandably) but in some ways was one of my heroes.

There are several of these fanatics across the country still doing it. In comparison us micro collectors are pikers.

Blinkenlites !! Yowza, yowza.

Lawrence

Terry Yager
May 24th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Hot-cha-do, hot-cha-do, hot-cha-doo!

--T