PDA

View Full Version : International shipping options?

Trixter
September 6th, 2012, 09:53 PM
What are the cheapest international shipping options for monitor- and computer- sized packages? I usually have no trouble shipping things like cards, drives, etc. but once the box exceeds 12"x12"x12" or 10 pounds the price seems to skyrocket. I tried to price shipping a monitor from USA to Milan, Italy (18x18x18" box, 30 pounds) and the cheapest option I could find out of USPS, DHL, UPS, and FedEx was $138! What international shipping options exist for people in the USA that aren't outrageous?

BTW, delivery time is not a concern. It can take a month to get there, I just want to know how to do it for less than three digits.

Caluser2000
September 7th, 2012, 12:09 AM
I ship stuff overseas for customers on a regular basis. I'd have thought $US138 was rather reasonable. Shipping to the states seems to be dearer than the same item being shipped back the NZ. FedEx, DHL etc usually calculate weight by the cubic cabacity of the outside container or the actual combined weight which ever is the greater. So 18x18x18 container may actually equate to equivalent of 60 lbs in their charging scheme..

FishFinger
September 7th, 2012, 03:45 AM
USPS Priority Mail International is $97 if bought online according to the USPS website.

Is Surface Mail still available? The delivery times were long (6-10 weeks), but the prices were very low.

Tor
September 7th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Is Surface Mail still available? The delivery times were long (6-10 weeks), but the prices were very low.
I've been told it's no longer an option. Some years ago I bought books from something called 'bookscloseouts.com' or something, very low prices. Normal shipping would have cost more than the book(s). So I used surface shipping. It used to take 12 weeks or so. Very nice really because after that time I would have forgotten all about it, and suddenly there's a book or two showing up in the mail.. nice surprise :)

-Tor

lucasdaytona
September 7th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I tried to price shipping a monitor from USA to Milan, Italy (18x18x18" box, 30 pounds) and the cheapest option I could find out of USPS, DHL, UPS, and FedEx was $138!

Maybe USPS could do it for something near $100, but $138 seems very good to me. It's sad, but we that live outside america needs to pay a lot to get these things. I think that Canada have Surface Mail, maybe you could ship the monitor to a Friend in Canada, and then your friend send the monitor to Italy. I have a friend in Italy, if you need to ask something about shipping I could give to you his email. And please be very careful while packing the monitor, a lot of monitor trips do not ends well, keep in mind that your monitor will probably be kicked during the trip.

I would easily pay $ 150 for a shipped 5153/5154, even if this means to keep paying it for a whole year:D

My idea is terrible, the price in Canada will be the same $140...

kishy
September 7th, 2012, 05:27 AM
As a Canadian who has received various things from the US (laptops, luggable/lunchbox computers, large heavy keyboards, auto parts and more), I can offer my experiences:

I have received items from the US specifically via USPS (which transfers to Canada Post on our side), FedEx, and UPS.

For small items (say a hard drive or small miscellaneous part), USPS First Class has always been good to me. Cheap and so far reliable, if sometimes a bit slow. Priority Mail has been my preference for stuff which was "small and light but still too big and heavy for First Class".

Now, if you start to look at UPS, as items get heavier, UPS becomes cheaper than USPS. Aside from the fact that all but one or two packages I've received via UPS have arrived damaged, with obvious damage to the exterior packaging as well, there is something that a seller/shipper should consider: unless you have the correct type of account and have filled out the correct paperwork (hint: only giant companies do this), your buyer is going to be billed customs brokerage fees upon delivery. This is not the same thing at all as tariffs or taxes, which are charged by the government...this is an arbitrary fee charged by UPS (and other couriers too) so that they will fill out certain customs paperwork and carry the item across the border.

Postal service shipments are not subject to brokerage.
All shipments may be subject to tax and duty, but in my experience tax/duty is only "guaranteed" to be charged on courier shipments and postal shipments usually slip by uncharged.
When you add the seemingly cheap shipping cost of UPS plus the brokerage fee plus tax, it is usually more expensive than the higher USPS shipping charge - even moreso if the buyer would have not been taxed going USPS.

Sellers need to consider the total cost to the buyer when deciding what options to offer, not just what will cost the least up front. "It costs too much to ship" is not a valid excuse for a seller if the buyer is paying the shipping.

Now, about FedEx: the only FedEx parcels I have received from the US have been auto parts from RockAuto. RockAuto is set up to collect Canadian sales tax at time of sale and their account with FedEx is set up such that there are no brokerage fees, so I pay nothing to the delivery guy...shipments done by individuals will likely be very different.

And another note about First Class: the weight and size limits for First Class International are higher than the limits for First Class within the US, and contrary to popular belief, although it cannot be insured it can be tracked (I've received countless First Class parcels with tracking).

patscc
September 7th, 2012, 06:00 AM
I've always had good luck with DHL, in the sense of things actually getting there in one piece. The gotcha is always customs, and how vindictive they're feeling on any particular day. (At least, that's the feeling I get)
patscc

lucasdaytona
September 7th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Hey Trixter, I forgot to say something very important! Italy is like Brazil with international shipping, very picky, please be sure write correctly everything on the customs papers. And please make insurance, even if you're sending as a gift, declare the correct value.

kishy
September 7th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I've always had good luck with DHL, in the sense of things actually getting there in one piece. The gotcha is always customs, and how vindictive they're feeling on any particular day. (At least, that's the feeling I get)
patscc

My only DHL shipment was from the UK. As I recall it shipped out on a Friday and I had it the following Tuesday, and arrived with no damage internal or external. There was a brokerage fee but it was less than UPS...maybe $10? It also happened to be the cheapest shipping option out of the UK...was done through one of those discount rate companies, I forget which.

I've also sent an item out with DHL but it was a Dell return; they provided the label.

JessicaMurray
May 20th, 2013, 06:47 PM
You can compare companies at www.parcelbound.com

gerrydoire
May 20th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Shipping Costs has put a major dent in my online purchases, I now only buy online what either really need and can't get locally or is worth the shipping rape cost.

kingchops
May 20th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Living in Australia, cost of international postage is a major problem. First of all, you're lucky if the seller actually offers international post and even when they do it's pretty expensive. Ebay seems to suck a lot when it comes to pricing as well, I've seen small items posted on ebay like s100 cards with postage rates of between $30 to $50. Last one I was interested in the seller gave me a quote of $60 for shipping, and the card was only $40 to buy. Pretty insane, cost of shipping puts me off buying many items.