PDA

View Full Version : Can an SE/30 run w/o hard drive?

Floppies_only
September 10th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Gang,

I am wondering if a Macintosh SE-30 will operate with System 6 from floppies if the hard drive is not working.

Thanks,
Sean

patscc
September 10th, 2012, 08:00 PM
If you disconnect the hard drive from the SCSI bus, shouldn't it boot right of the floppy ?
patscc

commodorejohn
September 10th, 2012, 08:11 PM
You don't even have to disconnect the hard drive, it'll boot right from the disk if there's no (perceived) bootable hard disk present.

tomasont
September 11th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I thought it tried to boot from the floppy first if there's one in the drive. That's how you upgrade the OS.

patscc
September 11th, 2012, 12:50 PM
If it just sits there and does nothing, I would try disconnecting the HD in case for some reason it's locking up the SCSI bus.
patscc

DOS lives on!!
September 11th, 2012, 02:20 PM
The sound the floppy drive makes after the startup tone is when it is checking for a boot disk. I have booted my SE from floppies with and without the hard drive connected.

krye
October 3rd, 2012, 07:25 AM
The sound the floppy drive makes after the startup tone is when it is checking for a boot disk. I have booted my SE from floppies with and without the hard drive connected.

Is this a known good boot floppy? You shouldn't have a problem booting it up right off the floppy, providing it's "blessed".

If you made it from an image then it might not be blessed. I've made boot floppies from images before to find out that they don't work. If you pop it in a machine that's already at the Finder, you'll see the System Folder on the floppy does not have a mini System icon on the folder. If you double click the System Folder to open it, the OS, will "bless" the folder thus making it bootable. You'll know it's blessed by the little System icon on the System Folder.

olePigeon
October 3rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
On a side note, there's a project (http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=16544) over at 68k MLA in which you can load an entire System 6 or 7 onto a custom 8MB ROM SIMM, and boot it directly off the ROM. :D The custom boot ROM even has its own custom key combo to do it. So, technically, you don't need any device attached to it at all. :twisted: