PDA

View Full Version : MAC SE CD problem

phogren
September 23rd, 2012, 02:17 PM
I have a MAC SE using finder 6.1.8 . I have an external CD drive. I keep getting an error message of a write protect error. It will read an older commercial CD I have. I also have a G4 but it won't read a CD I make with that. It also won't read a CD I make on a Windows VISTA PC even when I use the mastered format.
I'd like to transfer some files via CD but I must be missing something.

geoffm3
September 24th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I have a MAC SE using finder 6.1.8 . I have an external CD drive. I keep getting an error message of a write protect error. It will read an older commercial CD I have. I also have a G4 but it won't read a CD I make with that. It also won't read a CD I make on a Windows VISTA PC even when I use the mastered format.
I'd like to transfer some files via CD but I must be missing something.

My first thought is that System 6.x is old enough not to understand some of the newer Filesystem formats used on CDs these days. Do you know what file system type you're burning?

patscc
September 24th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Does the external SCSI cd read CD-R's on other computers ? I'm wondering that the CR-Rom drive itself can't read the CD-R properly. What speed did you burn the CD-R at, and is it the newer "high-speed " media ?
patscc

bibilit
September 24th, 2012, 11:15 AM
What driver are you using ? you will probably need Apple's one to get it working :

http://www.macdrivermuseum.net/disk.shtml

Also, i agree with geoffm3 System 6 is not really appropriate for that task.

It will be easier to use a Zip drive to move files.

Last but not least, Windows don't handle old Macintosh software kindly, and resource fork are always lost.

olePigeon
September 24th, 2012, 01:11 PM
If it's an older CD-ROM, it's probably the unit itself. I have to use a Yamaha CD-R drive to read anything written to a CD-R on an older Mac. Requires the Toast extension, though.

You could try burning the CD-ROM at 2x or slower. Sometimes that works, but it's a crapshoot.