PDA

View Full Version : Setting Switches on an 8-bit Video Card

Micom 2000
May 24th, 2006, 02:23 PM
I have an 8-bit video card with 15-pin and 9-pin sockets, and 6 configuration switches on the faceplate. It is a Trident TVGA 8808RB. It is populated with 8 64k-10 memory chips. 6x6 means it has 36 possible configurations. Most of the time when I run across cards such as this I leave the switches as is and if they don't work either see if there is some info on the I-net or simply put them aside. From what I've been able to glean it's capable of VGA or EGA(how is a half-length card able to do what traditionally required a full-length double card ?). I would like to be able to use it in an 8-bit box mainly because of the video memory but also for it's possible capabililities. There used to be a site that had switch settings for numerous cards but I wasn't able to find it. Does that ring a bell ?

Does anyone know about this card ?

Thanks, Lawrence

DimensionDude
May 24th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Try this site:

http://www.peteweb.com/ftp/mirrors/hardware_specs/

Not very "user-friendly" but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. A hint, filenames that end with t.htm are text, alphabetical by manufacturer.

EDIT: just had a quick look, no listing for Trident. The files ending with i.htm are pictures, may have to id your card that way.

Kent

Terry Yager
May 24th, 2006, 03:03 PM
36? (Actually, 64 or 2^6). C'mon, L...you should be able to work that out in less than an hour-or-so by trial & error...

64K isn't much for VGA, but it certainly doesn't require 16-bit (or 20, 24, etc) addressing.

--T

Micom 2000
May 24th, 2006, 05:27 PM
OK, Heh Heh Heh. My quick maths told me that 6 switches would give 36 possible configurations. I must admit my maths has gotten pretty rusty. When really pressed I use a calculator. 6 switches with 2 states won't compute easily on my aged mental processes. I just tried to calculate 2^6 mentally and failed. I arrived at 128. Whatever. Put a monitor on it and go thru the possible combinations until it works, hoping it won't blow the monitor on the way.

In any case any 8bit VGA video card with memory is a plus.
Hell I've only got 1 meg on the box I'm presently using.
It chokes on any serious graphics.

Terry Yager
May 24th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Starting from one, (any number raised to the zero-power is one, right?), my 'powers of two' (as best as I recall) are: 2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096, (I get lost somewhere around here), etc.

--T

carlsson
May 24th, 2006, 06:18 PM
6^2 = 36, 2^6 = 64 so Lawrence only put the numbers in the wrong order.

Are you sure it is not a Trident TVGA 8800BR (you wrote 8808RB) ? In that case, a jumper and the first four switches selects analog or TTL mode.

http://artofhacking.com/th99/v/U-Z/50080.htm

Terry Yager
May 24th, 2006, 06:31 PM
6^2 = 36, 2^6 = 64 so Lawrence only put the numbers in the wrong order.

I knew that, I just couldn't resist the opportunity to razz Lawrence a little (not that my math skillz are all that great either)...

--T

Micom 2000
May 24th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Bingo !! That's gotta be an earlier version of the same card. It is labelled TVGA8808RB. Why they reversed the BR must say something. A good starting point rather than going thru 64 possible combinations. I'll have to explore the site

Thanks Carlsson. Got to give credit to the logical nordic mind.

My mother was born in the US of Danish(Larsen) parents.
I've always considered myself as a token Scandinavian.

Raping and pillaging was only recreational for most Vikings. :^))

Lawrence

Micom 2000
May 24th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Sure, go ahead kid. Just remember your not yet admitted to the "Old Fart" club. Your not even a category 1 junior old fart.

L

I knew that, I just couldn't resist the opportunity to razz Lawrence a little (not that my math skillz are all that great either)...

--T

Terry Yager
May 24th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Whaaa...??? Doesn't my mental condition rate me an 'honorary' membership?

--T

carlsson
May 24th, 2006, 08:19 PM
8800BR appears to be a chip number, not a model number of the video card itself. Maybe the producer of your video card named it 8808RB because it contains a 8800BR chip, or did you actually read that number off the chip? In that case, it may be an oddity or even collectable.

Here is another one, chip identification:
http://www.plasma-online.de/english/identify/picture/trident.html

No such chip is even listed among the known models.

Micom 2000
May 24th, 2006, 08:38 PM
No, honorary members don't have SYSTEM problems. Otherwise we would be overwhelmed by new members who haven't gone thru the heart-attack winnowing. The memory banks on some of us are just overloaded. Early Altheimer people get honorary status and as I recall, such as Rita Hayworth are quickly admitted to the OF CEO presidential suite for "consultation". But I myself can't quite remember who she was. I'm sure Tina Turner would also be granted honorary status after lengthy consultation.

L

Terry Yager
May 24th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Well, I have 'Early-Onset Old-Timerz Disease' according to my children.

I just found out today that I do belong to a clearly-defined demographic group, first defined in 1997. I've always referred to myself as a 'cuspie', born in the cusp area between the 'Baby Boomers' and 'Generation X'. There were always a few of us caught between the two, with no clear identity of our own, and no clear connection to either. Now, we have a label of our own that we can cling to: 'The Jones Generation'! I kinda like that tag, based on the tag that which hold it all togeather.

-T GATORZ RULE!.

Micom 2000
May 24th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Well I'm from an earlier "cusp". Born 10 years before the baby boomers but after the WW2 "laddies" of the formica generation. I guess I could be classified as from the beat generation but Kerouac and Ginsberg were a bit older than me. I did live as a "beat" for some years.

Fortunately it never bothered me too much and I participated in many of the following generations as long as they were "bohemian", "Avant-Garde" or some such.

Lawrence

Micom 2000
May 24th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Wow another great site. On checking the main chip it is indeed an 8800BR which does not square with the label on the card. The card also has an edge connecter on top like the "feature" connector on many video cards. I'll have to play with this. When I tried it in my 5150 PC with the Inboard 386 and a NEC multisync monitor it didn't produce any legible output but was in color mode.
I wonder what the BR or RB designation indicates ?

Thanks again, Lawrence

8800BR appears to be a chip number, not a model number of the video card itself. Maybe the producer of your video card named it 8808RB because it contains a 8800BR chip, or did you actually read that number off the chip? In that case, it may be an oddity or even collectable.

Here is another one, chip identification:
http://www.plasma-online.de/english/identify/picture/trident.html

No such chip is even listed among the known models.

carlsson
May 25th, 2006, 09:25 AM
What are the odds of a typo on the label? :)

Micom 2000
May 26th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Very doubtful. It is factory printed on the board, TVGA8808RB, but has the 8800BR chip. I'm going to try it with a VGA monitor.

Lawrence