PDA

View Full Version : Xerox 630 printer problem

Roland Huisman
September 27th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Hello,

I hope I'm at the right place for my CP/M compatible printer here.

I have this Xerox 630 printer, it came with my Xerox 820 computer.
The printer has a problem, the power LED is on and the ready LED is blinking.
Since I have no manual I've no idea why it is blinking. I looks a bit like "paper out" or something.

There is a manual on ebay for "only" 89.99 dollar. yeahh right... :(

Does anyone know a bit more about these printers?

Regards, Roland

Chuck(G)
September 27th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Those printers were made by the Diablo division of Xerox. If you search under "Diablo 630" you can probably find a lot more information. I sent one to Lorne a couple of years ago with documentation, which I think included "Principles of Operation" and a complete schematic, so you might tickle him for an answer.

The paper out sensor could be temperamental on these beasts.

SharonHarris
October 1st, 2012, 01:16 AM
I am using this printer and this printer has an print quality like IBM Selectric typewriter, Selectric-based printer, or similar quality printer. The printer has very good printer quality with a speed of 30 characters per second.
mimaki uv ink (http://www.stsinks.com/mimaki.html?ink_type=61)

Roland Huisman
October 1st, 2012, 03:08 AM
Hello Chuck,

Thanks for the information. It seems to be hard to find any
technical information about the Diablo 630 printer too.
I really like to get it going again.

Does anyone know if there are possibilities to re-ink the cardridge?
I think this one will be dried by now... (not sure)

Regards, Roland

MicrocomputerSolutions
October 1st, 2012, 06:08 AM
Have you checked the ribbon cartridge to see if it's nylon fabric or one-time use film? Ribbon cartridges of this age for daisy wheel prints were available loasded with different types of ribbons. The least expensive being conventional nylon fabric, with one-time use film being the most expensive (with higest quality print).

One time use film cannot be inked, nylon can be reinked or reloaded, if you can find a business that still offers that type of service.

patscc
October 1st, 2012, 06:34 AM
Or find a re-inker for cheap.
patscc

Chuck(G)
October 1st, 2012, 08:35 AM
I'd be very surprised if one couldn't find at least a reloaded fabric ribbon for a 630. Diablo used pretty much the same cartridge on all of its daisywheel printers--and they were perhaps the most common. Impact printers aren't dead yet--they have value in some types of businesses.

In the meantime, there's always the trick of sraying the old ribbon with WD-40 and sealing it a plastic bag for a few days to distribute the solvent.

GeoffTamplin
March 19th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Rather late with this, but although spraying the fabric ribbon with WD-40 does work for a while, it also appears to coat the fibers so that actually re-inking no longer works.