PDA

View Full Version : ASR 33 Teletype - entering new territory

billdeg
May 27th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I have recently purchased an ASR 33 Teletype. It's in nice cosmetic condition, all of the springs are attached and there was little dust. The drive belt looks solid. The three fuses seem to be OK. It had been preserved nicely by the original owner. I have a case of oil paper and teletype paper. Unfortunately I have no manuals or documentation other than a schematic. I would like to locate a user's guide that walks a person through the basics.

For example..What is suppsed to happen when a person powers up the unit and puts the power control to the Local position? Should I be able to simply use the teletype as a typewriter? I don't want to do much without learning more, but at least for starters I would like to determine if the unit is powering up properly. I realize that an old machine like this may have power system problems.

I will continue to look for this information and if I find the answer I will post it here.

Thanks
Bill D

DimensionDude
May 27th, 2006, 09:15 PM
You might try a Usenet posting to alt.folklore.computers. There's a lot of knowledge there about "big iron" and all the peripherals.

Kent

Erik
May 27th, 2006, 09:15 PM
In local you should be able to use it as a typewriter.

Best of luck with yours. I've been putting off really messing with mine. It's about 90% working, but that last 10% might kill me. :)

billdeg
May 27th, 2006, 09:27 PM
thanks. that's what I thought. I guess I have a power supply issue then.

Good luck with yours, I read your posts from 2003.

If I do get it working, I am going to attempt to get it hooked up to a TRS 80 Model 1.

Bill D