PDA

View Full Version : Too big? Too busy?

Erik
May 27th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I'm playing with a graphical signature. . . I'm not yet quite happy with it, but I figured I'd throw it out there for now. . . :)

What'dya think?

alexkerhead
May 27th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Looks hawt, but to be honest, it needs to be half as tall, and a little wider instead.

Erik
May 27th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Hmm. I can work with that, I think.

Tomorrow, though. It's getting late. :)

atari2600a
May 27th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Yeah, tall graphical signatures only make the page taller, which makes us have to scroll down longer. Plus, your collage is to orderly; Try making the positions of the layers more random. & just a thought, but maybe some shadows will give it a better look? & you should try a different file format, (PNG Maybe?) because the text doesn't look right after you reduced the size.

(Please don't kill me Erik...)

alexkerhead
May 27th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Atari, he purposely uses that font with the ragged edges, to emulate the look of old terminal displays.
But yes, a PNG format would help with diffusion, but he needs to use jpg for maximum web browser compatibility.

Erik
May 27th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Okay, last try for the evening. I spent too long in the garage cleaning up and need to get some rest tonight. . . for a change.

For reference, the first try was: http://www.vintage-computer.com/images/sigbanner3.jpg

Unknown_K
May 28th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I am sure the dialup users will appreciate how long the pages take to load with those images.

Erik
May 28th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I am sure the dialup users will appreciate how long the pages take to load with those images.

Dialup users? What are those?? :D

I did optimize them down to pretty small sizes, actually. They shouldn't be that slow.

What do y'all think? Is that an issue?

Vlad
May 28th, 2006, 12:07 PM
No. I never had an issue when I had dialup. It was about the same.

atari2600a
May 28th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Atari, he purposely uses that font with the ragged edges, to emulate the look of old terminal displays.
But yes, a PNG format would help with diffusion, but he needs to use jpg for maximum web browser compatibility.

Yes I know, I used a similar font (fixedsys) on an advertizement for my website
http://mtac.profusehost.net/misc/ad.gif

I said it looks bad because the corners on the text aren't sharp because of the image being reduced in size while in JPG format.

As for the whole dial up thing, remember, the text on a page loads first, the photos load second.

alexkerhead
May 28th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Dialup users? What are those?? :D

I did optimize them down to pretty small sizes, actually. They shouldn't be that slow.

What do y'all think? Is that an issue?
That looks nice.

carlsson
May 28th, 2006, 02:49 PM
In my taste, Erik's signature picture is still too tall, but he's the forum admin and decides the rules. ;-) I never quite understood the value in a graphic signature. Text and links, yes. On another forum I visit, with a much younger member group (several around 13-15, few above 30, extremely rare above 40), a lot of people have several graphic illustrations in their signatures, and it makes the page very long. Most browsers will though cache the images, so once they're loaded, they don't need to be loaded again.

Erik
May 28th, 2006, 03:08 PM
I never quite understood the value in a graphic signature. Text and links, yes.

It depends on your style, I guess. I don't mind them, but I really only created this one out of a combination of exhaustion and boredom. I spent most of Friday and yesterday doing yard work and cleaning up the garage. I was left a spent hulk with little energy but it was too early to go to bed.

I loaded up Photoshop to dink around with some of my machine images and came up with that.

BTW, the background is the Kenbak motherboard. ;)

On another forum I visit, with a much younger member group (several around 13-15, few above 30, extremely rare above 40), a lot of people have several graphic illustrations in their signatures, and it makes the page very long.

On most of the car forums I visit they have graphical signatures as well, but that's probably the easiest way of showing off your car. . . the membership is much older than you are indicating.

mbbrutman
May 28th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Boredom .. I understand exhaustion but not boredom. :-)

(This time of the year the yardwork is all consuming ...)

Terry Yager
May 28th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I don't think your sig is too big, although I personally try to adhere to the '4-line rule'. I do prefer the second (busier) example, with one exception: The Kenback should possibly be the main focal point, (front & center) as it was in the first layout.

--T

CP/M User
May 29th, 2006, 12:54 AM
Erik wrote:

> I'm playing with a graphical signature. . . I'm not
> yet quite happy with it, but I figured I'd throw it
> out there for now. . . :)

> What'dya think?

Okay, though some freaky Psychedelic background would be
cool! :-D

Please?!?
CP/M User.

CP/M User
May 29th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Erik wrote:

> Dialup users? What are those?? :D

> What do y'all think? Is that an issue?

Still working here Erik! :-D

I disable the graphics - so they aren't downloaded (beyord a
certain size!)

CP/M User.

CP/M User
May 29th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Terry Yager wrote:

> I don't think your sig is too big, although I
> personally try to adhere to the '4-line rule'. I do
> prefer the second (busier) example, with one
> exception: The Kenback should possibly be the main
> focal point, (front & center) as it was in the first
> layout.

Yeah well - personally it's the contrast between the avatar &
the siggie should correspond with one another. The background
on the Siggie needs to collate with the Background on the
Avatar (or be something expermely freaky!).

CP/M User.

80sFreak
May 29th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I'm playing with a graphical signature. . . I'm not yet quite happy with it, but I figured I'd throw it out there for now. . . :)

What'dya think?

I like it! (It has a PET 2001!) :) But I think it needs to be clickable...

Cheers,

80sFreak

Erik
May 29th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I like it! (It has a PET 2001!) :) But I think it needs to be clickable...

Where would it link to? Back to my site homepage or these forums? :D

Terry Yager
May 29th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Definitely Link to your main page!

--T

jjzcp
May 29th, 2006, 05:09 PM
out in rural canada, all we have is dial up, and the pictures load just fine. Fortunatly, the text does load first, then, if the pictures are big, i get to watch them come up on the screen centimetre by centimetre.

atari2600a
May 29th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Do you get a fast connection? 'Cause back when I had MSN, My bandwidth was always somewhere between 35-45KBPS.

Micom 2000
May 29th, 2006, 06:15 PM
My main problem with it is the size of the overlay. It overwhelms the rest of it. While you do want your message to get out, the size does not grab the attention, instead it just muddles it. I'd reduce the overlay size and rely on the font to identify you.

Lawrence

canuck46
May 29th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I like it .... The newest one (Smaller one) is the best.

....as far as Im concerned.:p

alexkerhead
May 29th, 2006, 09:00 PM
I think some kind of animation in the sig would be cool.

Terry Yager
May 29th, 2006, 10:08 PM
I think some kind of animation in the sig would be cool.

Yeah, I like that idea too. Sort of a slide show like you have in your sig.

--T

atari2600a
May 29th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Yeah, like a blinking cursor or something, like this:

http://mtac.profusehost.net/misc/ad.gif

alexkerhead
June 1st, 2006, 02:44 AM
Whacha'll think of my signiture onturouge?

I downloaded some videos of these, and just converted them into gifs, with exception of the first two, I made those.

Terry Yager
June 1st, 2006, 07:59 AM
Whacha'll think of my signiture onturourage?

Too big. Too busy.

--T

atari2600a
June 1st, 2006, 12:02 PM
Yeah, & you're GIF's are too small that the total available colors isn't able to make the animations look right. (I have seen that ST:TNG GIF before! I still can't stop laughing at it! (Yours is too small to be funny though, sorry...))

alexkerhead
June 1st, 2006, 01:28 PM
Yeah, & you're GIF's are too small that the total available colors isn't able to make the animations look right. (I have seen that ST:TNG GIF before! I still can't stop laughing at it! (Yours is too small to be funny though, sorry...))
It's cool. I just didn't want them to be larger than the posting area..lol
I will see what I can do about the colors. I have total video converter, it only offers a 16 color gif conversion option. I paid for it, so i won't give up on it..lol
I have been buying legal software and using freeware since I got several official emails from microsoft about software piracy and acqusations that yours truely was involved.:tellme: I actually paid, hear that, paid for a copy of xp home, I dont use it though, I use ubuntu or windows 98. I dont prefer resource hogs if I have to pay for it. I put it on my brother's gaming machine, because games need windblows..lol
Wow, went fron gif talk to me talking about ubuntu and windows...lol

atari2600a
June 1st, 2006, 03:33 PM
Hm, well try to get it at something around 256 colors. Here's an example of something I did at 256 colors in PhotoShop CS2:

http://mtac.profusehost.net/myself.gif

By the way, could you by any chance PM me your XP Home Ed. serial number? (My copy's legit, but I've had to reinstall it more times than MS's Windows Registration servers will allow)

Erik
June 1st, 2006, 06:25 PM
Last try. . . for now:

atari2600a
June 1st, 2006, 07:03 PM
DAMN!!!!! That-is-freaking-CLEAN!!!!!!

Nice use of the shadow effect!!!!

You should change the value of the text color to something else though; it's very hard to look at.

Erik
June 1st, 2006, 07:10 PM
Yeah, the color could be better, but I sampled the board colors to get a match. Maybe it's not worth it. . .

atari2600a
June 1st, 2006, 07:24 PM
Well you can just disable some of lighting effects you have on the text...

alexkerhead
June 1st, 2006, 08:40 PM
That is freaking tight Erik. Did you get the idea from the gif in my sig?
A dial up connections would so die with our gifs(Eriks is 200KB..lol)..lol
Atari, you should make a small version of that gif(where you are dancing, or whatever that is..lol) your avatar.

Mad-Mike
June 1st, 2006, 08:58 PM
This thread inspired me to redo mine too... both avatar and sig

atari2600a
June 1st, 2006, 09:07 PM
I did, & that's it! Somehow vBulletin stripped it of all it's multi-frameness-ness!!! (Probobly because of it being 100X75 & being more than the memory allows)

atari2600a
June 1st, 2006, 09:07 PM
I did, & that's it! Somehow vBulletin stripped it of all it's multi-frameness-ness!!! (Probobly because of it being 100X75 & being more than the memory allows)

alexkerhead
June 1st, 2006, 09:13 PM
Fisrt. That Sig is really cool Mike.
Atari, try hosting the avatar remotely.

atari2600a
June 1st, 2006, 11:13 PM
My host would probobly cut my hosting for excessivly hotlinking.

alexkerhead
June 2nd, 2006, 12:34 AM
lol, www.imageshack.us wont be mad at you.

CP/M User
June 2nd, 2006, 01:15 AM
alexkerhead wrote:

> lol, www.imageshack.us (http://www.imageshack.us) wont be mad at you.

I've had some trouble with Imageshack unfortunately - looked
as if they didn't like the number of images I had stored in my
account - so deleted some, without advising.

Photobucket seems to hold my pictures nicely! :-D (fingers
crossed though)

CP/M User.

alexkerhead
June 2nd, 2006, 02:18 AM
ah yes, forgot about photobucket.

Erik
June 2nd, 2006, 04:26 AM
That is freaking tight Erik. Did you get the idea from the gif in my sig?

Thanks! I did get the idea, at least in part, from your image. I was also just looking through what I could do with Photoshop to make an animation and that seemed easiest for the time I had.

200K is big, though. I wish I could cut it down. :confused:

dongfeng
June 2nd, 2006, 04:57 AM
Let me see...

From looking at your sig in Adobe ImageReady, you have a whole new layer for each computer, yes?

A better way to do it would be to create the background without the computer on it and put the computers on different layers. Then create different frames enabling and disabling the different layers... Then instead of having to load 11 different images, it has one main image and several smaller ones

Give me a few minutes and I'll see how much I can optimise it :)

dongfeng
June 2nd, 2006, 05:16 AM
Hmm... 190k is the best I can manage...

Erik
June 2nd, 2006, 06:00 AM
I'm not sure how it reverse engineers, but the original photoshop image is a layer for each machine (sized appropriately) and a layer each for the background, text and frame. The swapped images are, therefore, fairly small. I've just got a fair number of them (and a couple I don't think make sense - like the ASR keyboard.)

I may play with it again later. If anyone thinks it's too big, though, let me know. I've had my fun and wouldn't mind going back to a text-only sig. :)

dongfeng
June 2nd, 2006, 07:24 AM
What with the content of the website you should put some ASCII art :lol:

Chris2005
June 2nd, 2006, 09:22 AM
Nuh uh, don't work for me. The Tandy 2000 showing up too seldom or gasp isn't even there at all! ;)

Erik
June 2nd, 2006, 09:26 AM
I've only got the TRS-80 Model I systems and a mini CoCo from Radio Shack in the collection.

I've always wanted a Model II but never had the space for it (I've turned down a few of them) and I've passed on some Model IIIs as well.

atari2600a
June 2nd, 2006, 11:44 AM
If it's space you're concerned about, wouldn't you like to trade one of your old, busted, black-painted, space-taking Lisa's for my small, not-big CoCo3?
http://mtac.profusehost.net/coco3/coco3.jpg

CP/M User
June 2nd, 2006, 01:43 PM
Nice siggie Erik, looks very freaky now! :-D

CP/M User.

alexkerhead
June 2nd, 2006, 03:16 PM
old, busted, black-painted, space-taking Lisa's

Dude, why would you even want something in that kind of condition? Save your money man.
Oh, and that coco needs some serious scrubbing.

atari2600a
June 2nd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Well the photo was taken in my attic. It just needs to be cleaned with a damp paper towel, nothing serious.

Plus, there's nothing I enjoy more than fixing up an old computer!