PDA

View Full Version : need help getting games on classic mac (ZORK)

oblivion
October 1st, 2012, 01:29 PM
I assumed this would be the easiest thing in the world but apperently not. i'm reletivly new to macs so i suppose i'm just missing something. i really wanted to play ZORK (freely avaliable for dl from infocom) on my classic b/w mac but dispite my efforts I can't get it running. i'm running a classic mac with system 6. first i tried the file from infocom a .HQX file but my mac can not open it. tried unstuffing it with unstuff lite and got errors about a possibly currupt file. tried redownloading and a diffrent floppy with same result. so then i went to machintosh garden and found the zork anthology. downloaded it and then unstuffed it no problems but then found out its a .IMG file? i assume this was ment for an amulator and not the acual hardware.

anyways does anyone know where i can get zork on the net for a acual classic mac? and just to restate it is freeware.

barythrin
October 1st, 2012, 01:43 PM
An .img file can probably be just about anything someone wanted to make an image of a disk or cd. Depending on the size you may be able to recreate the image with some sort of dd or rawrite tool or burn it as a cd iso (if it turns out to be that). From a quick google search that file format might require BinHex (http://filext.com/file-extension/HQX) to convert back to something else that your Mac can use. Have you tried that yet? I guess it's a MIME compatible format so you could technically send it via text in an email or news group?

olePigeon
October 1st, 2012, 08:28 PM
What type of Classic Macintosh do you have? Or is it a "Macintosh Classic?" If it's a Macintosh Classic, I recommend System 7. If you're going to be working with Disk Copy 6.3 files, then you're going to need at least System 7.0.1 to run Disk Copy 6.3.3.

A .hqx is a BinHex encoded document. You should install Suffit Expander 4.0.1 to decode these files (if you have System 7, Stuffit Expander 5.5 + DropStuff)

A .img file is a Disk Copy disk image. It can be anything from a 400k floppy to a multi-gigabyte HDD. Your Zork game is probably a 1.4MB floppy or smaller. Unless you upgraded to System 7, you're not going to have much luck opening that file. Whoever made the disk image of your Zork game made it with Disk Copy 6.3 instead of Disk Copy 4.2, so you can't open it on a System 6 machine. Also, if your Macintosh is older than a Macintosh Classic, you may not even have a 1.4MB floppy drive with which to write to floppy anyway.

A couple options are to find a newer Macintosh with a SCSI port and either connect something like a Zip drive and copy the file via that, or, connect the two Macs over AppleTalk and send the file that way.

oblivion
October 1st, 2012, 09:32 PM
yhea its a macintosh classic. and i do have system 7.5 around here. thanks. i'll try installing the new OS.

olePigeon
October 2nd, 2012, 08:26 AM
Oh, good. That should make things much easier. Here's System 7.5.3 direct from Apple:

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/

And here's Disk Copy 6.3.3 and 4.2:

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/Disk_Copy/

Macintosh Garden has Stuffit Expander 5.5 & DropStuff.