PDA

View Full Version : Can You Help Identify a Nubus OrangeMicro PC card?

directive0
October 2nd, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hey all,

Sorry to start off on this forum with a question like this, but I am really interested in getting this working. I acquired this card off of Beachycove on 68kMLA.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35134131@N03/4428464274/

Its a 486 OrangeMicro MS-DOS card with Math Coprocessor. I've been pouring over the webarchives of Orange Micro's site but can't find this card listed anywhere. I thought maybe it would work with software for their 300 series cards, but no such luck. The software says no card is recognized in any slot.

Apple system profiler recognizes the card, gives a vendor id of Orangemicro, ID of 1152 and version of 1.0.

Could the card be damaged?

Could the card be some odd variant that required special software?

Any advice where to find software for this guy?

Thanks in advance!

Unknown_K
October 2nd, 2012, 11:57 AM
Looks like it would be a 200 series (the old 386 models, that 486 is a 16 bit chip on a 386 SMT mounting). The 200 series is also the only ones I know about with ISA slots. I have never seen this card before, will have to snag one someday.

Beachycove is probably a 68kmla member.

olePigeon
October 2nd, 2012, 11:59 AM
I don't know much about the card, but if it has any similar power requirement as a Radius Rocket, it could be a power issue. My IIci couldn't run a Radius Rocket because the power supply wasn't powerful enough.

Edit: See above. Try the 200 software.

directive0
October 2nd, 2012, 12:18 PM
I don't know much about the card, but if it has any similar power requirement as a Radius Rocket, it could be a power issue. My IIci couldn't run a Radius Rocket because the power supply wasn't powerful enough.

Edit: See above. Try the 200 software.

I will try that, thanks.

Indeed Beachycove is a 68kMLA member, and a very nice fellow at that. He let me raid his collection for some goodies last weekend.

directive0
October 3rd, 2012, 05:34 AM
Hey all!

You nailed it. 200 Series software worked a treat.

Just gotta find some win floppies and I can start experimenting! Awesome!

Thanks so much guys!

Unknown_K
October 3rd, 2012, 01:05 PM
So what is the top round port for Apple networking, printers, adb stuff? I assume you do not have the dongle cable for the misc PC ports.

directive0
October 15th, 2012, 06:04 AM
So what is the top round port for Apple networking, printers, adb stuff? I assume you do not have the dongle cable for the misc PC ports.

No I have nothing but what is pictured, but I think there are PS2 and Parallel ports on the back of it. Haven't really looked to hard as it emulates all the devices I need.

SO I have DOS 6.0 installed off some floppies onto the emulated C drive, and it says I should be able to share a volume or folder but when I try I get the error
C:\>D:
Invalid drive specification

The manual mentions an executable called OSHARE.EXE but I can't find it anywhere on the drive, and there's little documentation regarding it otherwise.

Does anyone have any advice for setting up a shared drive the mac side can access so I can install Windows 95 from a flatfile?

Unknown_K
October 15th, 2012, 09:41 AM
The setup software on the mac side should be where you setup sharing drives.

directive0
October 15th, 2012, 09:57 AM
The setup software on the mac side should be where you setup sharing drives.

Right, yeah. And I did. At least, I think we're talking about the same thing. I used the Setup dialogue box that is presented every time you start OrangePC.

The problem is that once setup the drive DOESNT work. I try to point DOS at D: or F: or G: etc etc, and it gives me the error above. By drive I mean a folder on the mac side selected to be a shared drive. Is there some naming convention I must follow? I used no spaces but the folder name isn't in all caps, is this required?

I guess I'l take some screenies tonight and post them up :)

Unknown_K
October 15th, 2012, 02:54 PM
How large did you make the image file? The manual says something like 2046MB is the largest supported emulated hard drive (model 300 manual).

directive0
October 16th, 2012, 07:26 AM
How large did you make the image file? The manual says something like 2046MB is the largest supported emulated hard drive (model 300 manual).

Hey K,

Appreciate your help, let me lay everything out so as to avoid confusion.

Currently the MS-DOS boot disk (drive C:) is an OrangePC disk image, and that works fine. What I'm trying to do is install windows95 from a Flat-File (because I cannot easily write the 1.6meg DoubleDensity disks that WIN95 worked with, adn my CD drive is not behaving), as per these directions from Here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/169501). Now to do this I am attempting to use OrangePC's "Shared Volume" option, that supposedly (according to the manual) lets you use a directory on the mac side as a shared "volume". I can find little documentation regarding this process. So what I did was create a folder on the desktop, and point OrangePCs software (via the "setup" dialogue box) and it gave me no advisories or warnings.

Now in Dos I get to the prompt and when trying to access that drive I get an invalid drive specification warning. I didn't get a chance to troubleshoot last night but I figure its either A) I am not properly using the "Shared Volume" feature or B) I have improperly named the directory. Do DOS directories have to be in all caps?

directive0
November 5th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Just an update.

Got to try with CD-ROM and properly labeled directories on the mac side. So far, still no luck. Might be a driver error with CDs, not sure where to remedy but I am looking through old OrangePC website archives.. I'm sure its there somewhere.

Ordered a CF->scsi adapter, so I should be able to try with a legitimate FAT partition soon, hopefully.

dr.zeissler
May 17th, 2017, 12:49 PM
I have two boards and some questions about them.

I would like to place one im my quadra700 https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/33878394704

Seems that both cards are nearly identical (base), but the 386 has no ISA slot and no breakout-connectors.
The 486 has an ISA slot (not usable in my Q700) and two breakouts, one seems to be a mouse? connector,
the other belongs to a breakoutbox which has VGA? out?

Both seem to have no soundchips at all, so only PC-speaker :( but perhaps the 486 has a fully lpt1-out so a
covox would be possible.

Both seem to have wdc90x gfx-chip, which is a very nice one. Because the 386 has no vga-breakout, the
vga-signal must be rootet through the NUBUS to the mac? This could be very slow?

Would be nice if someone can help.

Thx
Doc

Unknown_K
May 17th, 2017, 01:35 PM
There should be model numbers on the back side of the card?

My 486 board is a DX and was made after your boards, my 386 boards are older then yours. Have not seen those particular models before.

If you have an onboard VGA chip then the breakout dongle would be needed for video output.

dr.zeissler
May 17th, 2017, 09:01 PM
The WDC903 should be the VGA chip and both cards have one. So Breakout only if I want external VGA Monitor,
therefore the 386-Board should display the videosignal over the NUBUS directly on the macscreen.

How is it with your cards?

Doc