PDA

View Full Version : Kaypro II conIX Operating System?

billdeg
October 5th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Anyone worked with the conIX operating system for the Kaypro II? I have the disks and three manuals, no Kaypro II. It's a CP/M add-on supplement kind of like others of the later CP/M era.

conIX is by Computer Helper Industries, Inc.

It would actually be an interesting vcf exhibit...CP/M Plus, conIX, Dr. DOS, Concurrent DOS. There's a story out there with the CP/M alternatives to MS DOS, and how Novell came about.

barythrin
October 5th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Pretty interesting. Reading about it (was trying to figure out if it's conix or con9) it's set of unix-like commands on top of cp/m? Have you ever seen it up and running? I just see lots of documents referencing it. Unfortunately while I have several too many Kaypros (most non-working) I lack about any useful software for them.

patscc
October 5th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Is this something that's for sale ? I wouldn't mind giving it a whirl.
patscc

billdeg
October 5th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Next week I am going to bring the original disks and manual to someone who has a working Kaypro II (mine is not) so we can check it out and make disk images, etc. I will post the IMD files asap, assuming they'll take.

It's a CP/M addon for programmers. I have not read the manual too closely. It appears to have been a project of the previous owner to convert for use on a Visual 1050, which I do have running. If I can find the gen that works on the 1050 I can learn more..etc.

I may sell the original disks and manual, not sure. Must be rare.

Bill

mrz80
November 8th, 2012, 03:54 AM
I think this is it here: http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives//cpm/mirrors/oak.oakland.edu/pub/cpm/conix/

I vaguely remember playing with this years ago, before I was completely hooked on the whole zcpr3/zsystem thing. From what I recall it was a CCP replacement and a bunch of utilities designed to make cp/m look and act roughly like a V7 unix system.

atod
January 16th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Were you ever able to image the disks and bring it up on the Kaypro II?

Next week I am going to bring the original disks and manual to someone who has a working Kaypro II (mine is not) so we can check it out and make disk images, etc. I will post the IMD files asap, assuming they'll take.

It's a CP/M addon for programmers. I have not read the manual too closely. It appears to have been a project of the previous owner to convert for use on a Visual 1050, which I do have running. If I can find the gen that works on the 1050 I can learn more..etc.

I may sell the original disks and manual, not sure. Must be rare.

Bill

billdeg
January 17th, 2013, 08:46 AM
I don't have a Kaypro II, the person (months ago) who was going to try the software did not bring the Kaypro II as planned, the test never happened. I ended up selling the software with manuals to someone locally who could use it.