PDA

View Full Version : IBM 360 Colors

eldofever
October 23rd, 2012, 06:11 AM
Good day gentlemen,

I'm trying to track down the colors that IBM offered on its 360 (and other) computer systems. My plan is to match these as best I can with interior house paint.

According to the IBM website, they state there were 5 colors offered for their panels. I can figure out Blue and Red, and know that Yellow was a custom color not included in the 5.

Is anyone familliar with the other colors? Any photos?

Thanks,
Cory

Chuck(G)
October 23rd, 2012, 09:49 AM
The red wasn't a real red as in Chinese red, but an orangish-red called "garnet rose". AFAIK, these were the standard IBM colors from that time:

#9060 Willow green
#9061 Garnet rose
#9062 Sunrise yellow
#9063 Classic blue
#9064 Charcoal brown
#9065 Pebble gray.

eldofever
October 23rd, 2012, 12:10 PM
This makes me wonder if these colors were the same as used on the Selectrics... all but the yellow (never seen a yellow Sel). I could compare "blues" to test the hypothesis. I have a few Selectrics in that color and an IBM 3741 to compare against. -Cory

The red wasn't a real red as in Chinese red, but an orangish-red called "garnet rose". AFAIK, these were the standard IBM colors from that time:

#9060 Willow green
#9061 Garnet rose
#9062 Sunrise yellow
#9063 Classic blue
#9064 Charcoal brown
#9065 Pebble gray.

Chuck(G)
October 23rd, 2012, 01:29 PM
Good question. I own a Selectric in willow green and have seen them in classic blue and pebble gray, so I think you may be on to something--but I think the Selectric colors were more limited and I've seen two shades of green on them.

At any rate, the IBM CE tools and parts list guide on Bitsavers (http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/360/fe/S131-0075-3_CE_Tools_Ref_Aug84.pdf) shows the lacquer colors on PDF page 139. Too bad there's no color swatch samples.

NeXT
October 23rd, 2012, 07:34 PM
#9062 Sunrise yellow
I've seen this in person. Either with age or through someone being colorblind, it's more a sulphur yellow.

Chuck(G)
October 23rd, 2012, 08:01 PM
Well, it was the 60s and 70s, when good taste took a sabbatical. Orange shag carpeting, leisure suits, big wide neckties--oh yeah. Then in the 1980s, corporate wanted to look like the Georges Pompidou Center, with exposed plumbing painted bright primary colors, furniture in eye-searing bright primaries--oh, was that hot. I recall that someone proposed selling a line of our systems painted a bright orange. Fortunately, someone else who still had a shred of sanity had the sense to shoot that idea in the head before it had a chance to propagate.

http://lileks.com/institute/interiors/1001/flowerrug.jpg

eldofever
October 24th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Oh my eyes!:o

Suppose this is the yellow on the right hand side disk unit?

[QUOTE=Chuck(G);249185]Well, it was the 60s and 70s, when good taste took a sabbatical. Orange shag carpeting, leisure suits, big wide neckties--oh yeah. Then in the 1980s, corporate wanted to look like the Georges Pompidou Center, with exposed plumbing painted bright primary colors, furniture in eye-searing bright primaries--oh, was that hot. I recall that someone proposed selling a line of our systems painted a bright orange. Fortunately, someone else who still had a shred of sanity had the sense to shoot that idea in the head before it had a chance to propagate.