PDA

View Full Version : Is this apple ii working?

bbcmicro
June 8th, 2006, 09:38 AM
I've wanted a geniune apple for ages, but I know nothing about them. They don't come up on UK ebay very often, but is this working, or as near as you can tell from the description? and is the Europlus particularly rare and therefore bump up the price?

thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-II-europlus-with-5-25-disk-drives_W0QQitemZ8825209030QQcategoryZ4193QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Terry Yager
June 8th, 2006, 11:19 AM
It's working as much as can be tested without a monitor & software.

--T

bbcmicro
June 8th, 2006, 11:20 AM
is Apple DOS in ROM or on disk? what would be a sensible price to pay? Do you need a specific monitor or will a tv do?

Terry Yager
June 8th, 2006, 11:22 AM
BASIC in ROM, and DOS on disk. Dunno the value in your part of the world.

--T

atari2600a
June 8th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I don't own an Apple II, but in America, I think they had built in NTSC tuners (Correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe this one has a PAL tuner.

(BASIC is on ROM. If it was on disk, there'd be alot less working Apple II's today.)

bbcmicro
June 9th, 2006, 07:23 AM
so apples can use a tv then? good if they do, I don't want to have to source a big clunky apple-only monitor. I always did wonder why they didnt introduce a monitor standard for older computers...or at least a bit earlier.Would have saved a lot of trouble

Erik
June 9th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Most older machines can use a "standard" composite monitor. Almost all of the mass-produced machines can (Atari, Apple, Commodore, etc.) and many of the earlier systems could as well. I've got an adaptor that allows my screw-in composite Sol-20 and Northstar systems to plug into regular old monitors.

An RF modulator effectively turns a TV into a mediocre composite monitor.

bbcmicro
June 10th, 2006, 02:21 PM
So in theory, a Monitor (or TV for that matter) could work with most computers within reason so long as the right cable was used?

Erik
June 10th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Correct - taking NTSC vs. PAL (if I got that right) into consideration, yes.

bbcmicro
June 10th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Aha! So instead of worrying about cluttering up my workspace with CUBs and clunky CRT's for each computer, I only need to keep a few and try and source cables for them. That makes things much simpler.

atari2600a
June 10th, 2006, 03:02 PM
...unless there's a VERRY slim chance that there where SECAM-based Apple //'s, all you should need is an RF-Unit (Which is sold at any RadioShack for -$5) or a whatever-port-to-Composite-RCA-connector-Output-thing cable.

bbcmicro
June 10th, 2006, 03:17 PM
...unless there's a VERRY slim chance that there where SECAM-based Apple //'s, all you should need is an RF-Unit (Which is sold at any RadioShack for -$5) or a whatever-port-to-Composite-RCA-connector-Output-thing cable.
Whuh? :confused:

atari2600a
June 10th, 2006, 03:33 PM
OK, maybe this will make things easier. There's 3 television signal formats. Here in the US, we use NTSC. In Europe & Africa, they use PAL & SECAM. One format device won't work with another format TV without certain equipment to alter the signal. The Apple // you plan to buy will most likely work on your TV flawlessly, Assuming your TV is a PAL.

bbcmicro
June 10th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Ah, sorry, I didnt realise we had drifted back to the original topic :) I know what pal and ntsc are, never heard of secam.

atari2600a
June 10th, 2006, 03:43 PM
You havent? If I remember correctly, it's a Brittian-originating format! (I could be wrong though...)

dongfeng
June 10th, 2006, 04:07 PM
We never used SECAM here in "Brittain"... only PAL

BTW, most British TV's can handle NTSC signals, newer ones can sometimes handle SECAM too, so it's not usually a problem :)

atari2600a
June 10th, 2006, 04:59 PM
OK, this isn't a spelling-bee!:D

I know that alot of TV's in europe/africa/middle-east can handle NTSC, even some older ones, (I've been to Egypt before, & even in the villages where all the houses are made out of mud & straw, a large percentage of the housholds have a TV, & half the time they can handle NTSC) but I wasn't sure about SECAM.

What country uses SECAM again?

Terry Yager
June 10th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Google is still your friend:

An acronym for Sequential Colour a Memoire, SECAM is the broadcast television standard for France, Russia and much of eastern Europe.
www.dvspot.com/features/glossary.shtml

(Search took less than ten seconds).

--T

dongfeng
June 11th, 2006, 01:56 AM
http://www.110220volts.com/FAG/WhatisNTSC.htm

carlsson
June 11th, 2006, 02:56 PM
One week to go, and the auction is still at 1 plus shipping.

bbcmicro
June 12th, 2006, 11:02 AM
I saw the auction end time, ends while I'm at school. This drastically reduces my chances of winning, I still have a bit of cash left over from my birthday, but I splashed out a NES on a whim yesterday.

I just wanted to play Castevania!

I will still have a go at it before I leave in the morning for school :)