PDA

View Full Version : Played Bioshock on computer, messed up Display settings XP... now what?

facattack
November 10th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Screen is zoomed in and I adjusted the resolution setting in Display several times.

I have an AMD video card as stated earlier and it has Catalyst Control center. Some programs don't have the text properly fit in their windows.... so I can't hit a button in a "Games for Windows Live" version of Dead Rising 2 to "verify release date." Button isn't visible... :(

Otherwise, I'm not upgrading because lots of the software I try to download which isn't Steam works has this stupid GFWL Digital Rights Management on them so it ain't worth the effort trying to legit unlock the programs....

GottaLottaStuff
November 10th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Everyone is having the same kind of problems with DRM on games, ebooks, music, etc. It punishes the legit buyers to the point that they just give up. It's just a way to push you into buying the XBOX360 instead of dealing with the hassle of Windows gaming. I've seen quite a few lately that only let you install a limited number of times, then you have to buy it again. After all, it's not like you own it or anything.

Trixter
November 10th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Screen is zoomed in and I adjusted the resolution setting in Display several times.

I have an AMD video card as stated earlier and it has Catalyst Control center. Some programs don't have the text properly fit in their windows.... so I can't hit a button in a "Games for Windows Live" version of Dead Rising 2 to "verify release date." Button isn't visible... :(

Otherwise, I'm not upgrading because lots of the software I try to download which isn't Steam works has this stupid GFWL Digital Rights Management on them so it ain't worth the effort trying to legit unlock the programs....

Rather than try to troubleshoot, I would probably do the following:

Go into safe mode
Uninstall Catalyst
Reboot. System will work properly but no (decent) video acceleration.
Download new version of Catalyst
Install new version of Catalyst

Should fix whatever problem you're having. If you get to step 4 and your text still isn't fitting into windows, etc. even though the resolution is fine and you're not "zoomed in", then try to change the font size in Control Panel -> Display Settings.

Agent Orange
November 10th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Rather than try to troubleshoot, I would probably do the following:

Go into safe mode
Uninstall Catalyst
Reboot. System will work properly but no (decent) video acceleration.
Download new version of Catalyst
Install new version of Catalyst

Should fix whatever problem you're having. If you get to step 4 and your text still isn't fitting into windows, etc. even though the resolution is fine and you're not "zoomed in", then try to change the font size in Control Panel -> Display Settings.

Trixter is absolutely correct, but I would add one more step. While in the SAFE mode, go to DEVICE MANAGER and uninstall the current video driver. When you install the complete Catalyst package you should be good to go. Good Luck.