PDA

View Full Version : A Quick, Informal Poll

Chuck(G)
November 13th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Right now, without opening one, do you have a command prompt/shell window open on your desktop?

Krille
November 13th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I usually have one open but you caught me "naked". I answered yes anyway since I had one open in a VM. I hope that counts? :D

Ole Juul
November 13th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Right now there are 6 terminal windows open on desktop #1. (There are 10 desktops on this computer.)

There are editors open in three of them at the moment. One edit window is for bookmarks which I maintain as plain html files because it's just too much trouble to use the bookmarking systems within browsers. That same file is constantly open in a window on my main browser.

Oh, and of course ScrlLock-ScrlLock-ArrowDown gets me a live DOS machine on this same console. But it doesn't stop there - using the KVM I also have access to the box that I use as a radio, which has a terminal open on desktop number one as well. Keyboards are just the greatest input device in my opinion.

Caluser2000
November 13th, 2012, 11:06 PM
No Bought a GDI laser printer for $10 today and the command prompt wasn't needed to get it going. The mouse did a wonderful job.

Doug G
November 14th, 2012, 12:30 AM
5 or 6 terminal windows connected to 3 or 4 different machines

SkydivinGirl
November 14th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Not right now, but I use the Command Prompt quite often throughout the day.

Heather

Maverick1978
November 14th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Not right now, but I use the Command Prompt quite often throughout the day.
Ditto.

Stone
November 14th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Double ditto... I don't keep it open at all times but I have a Command Prompt shortcut with a ‘Ctrl +Alt +D’ shortcut key on the desktop so it's readily available.

Jimmy
November 14th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Yes I do have one open

olePigeon
November 14th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Does NetHack count?

barythrin
November 14th, 2012, 11:28 AM
lol ole. I only have 2 windows command prompts open right now. Also two ssh consoles and currently only 2 remote graphic sessions (rdp in this case).

Chuck(G)
November 14th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Count it if you want--I'm wondering if using the CLI interface is more of a generational thing.

I noticed that for things other than web browsing, I'm more at home with the command line than using some GUI. Just wondering if I was peculiar (well, okay, I know the answer to that one. :p ).

Unknown_K
November 14th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I use the command prompt sometimes for things like ipconfig lookup where it is faster then using the GUI, but I don't keep one open. I grew up with DOS so its not that big of a deal for me.

Ole Juul
November 14th, 2012, 12:06 PM
lol ole. I only have 2 windows command prompts open right now. Also two ssh consoles and currently only 2 remote graphic sessions (rdp in this case).

Well, I tend to never close stuff - like a kid who never puts any toys away. I personally don't see the point of wasting time on that sort of thing now that we have the luxury of multitasking OSs with unlimited windows and desktops. ;) My left hand never leaves the keyboard and acts as kind of a shifter - flicking through windows and desktops - often from memory.

I'm wondering if using the CLI interface is more of a generational thing.

There may actually be generationally coloured program usage as well. Some things (like servers) don't traditionally employ extra overhead even if available. Older folks may be more into FTP than Samba or whatever those newfangled programs are called. ;)

Also, there is a generational differentiation with eyes. I have difficulty with may GUIs because the illogical (usually non-linear) placement of click points requires me to search for them and that can take quite a while. Young eyes can scan more of the screen in any given time. Speaking of time, I think younger people tend to be more patient so don't mind taking the scenic route.

tezza
November 14th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I use the command prompt sometimes for things like ipconfig lookup where it is faster then using the GUI, but I don't keep one open. I grew up with DOS so its not that big of a deal for me.
Yes this is the same for me. I'm comfortable with a command line and use it where I need to, but I don't keep it open on my Windows XP/Windows 7 computers. I'm 54 years old and have been using computers since 1981 (discounting the time I was a student in 1977-1980 using punchcards in one course).

Tez

tezza
November 14th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Well, I tend to never close stuff - like a kid who never puts any toys away. I personally don't see the point of wasting time on that sort of thing now that we have the luxury of multitasking OSs with unlimited windows and desktops. ;) My left hand never leaves the keyboard and acts as kind of a shifter - flicking through windows and desktops - often from memory.

I tend to do just the opposite. I close things down when I'm not using them (with the exception of the browser which is always open). I think this is years of habit where you needed to be disciplined in what was running simply because the CPU couldn't handle too many things open. It's a hard habit to break even though I don't need to follow it anymore and I'm sure it's not efficient nowadays.

..or maybe it's just me. I like things tidy and put away if I'm not using them.

Tez

barythrin
November 14th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Terry's point is likely valid as a generational thing. While I definitely started off pre-gui and dos and single program or TSR (rarely) but limited memory, I would say the majority of my life has been in multitasking operating systems so I've always been able to run quite a few programs at a time. I'm lazy too so yes I'm in that category of leaving a prompt open but only because I'm in them so often throughout the day. Pretty much guarantee the minute I close a command prompt on my work machine I end up needing to open it again. Not that I can't do it via the gui but it's so much faster just to type the command like to unlock someones domain account or other quick tasks. But back on point I think that perhaps is more of a generational thing.. growing up with enough RAM or way more than you should be able to use RAM era probably does lead to sloppier application management.

I used to service even more operating systems that I currently do. I wish it had been updated more but I used to keep my copy of the Universal Command Guide (http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Command-Guide-Operating-Systems/dp/B005M5006M) on my desk for kicks. Was an awesome book when dealing with an OS you're not yet greatly familiar with but you do know another OS or the command you'd want in say dos or linux.

It wasn't perfect but was very cool looking for certain tasks like what command would this be in netware, the arguments for the solaris version of a command, how do do this on a Mac? etc.

Mad-Mike
November 14th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Which desktop......?

Work - nope, though I do sometimes
Other Work - Nope....

At Home
Tandy - That's all it has...when it's not playing computer games or on leetirc
286 - Yes, serving files to the Tandy
486 - Yes, was doing some other Network stuff while in Windows For Workgroups
Main - Nope, spent a lot of time at the Ubuntu prompt this morning though
Laptop - It's off

Ole Juul
November 14th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I tend to do just the opposite. I close things down when I'm not using them (with the exception of the browser which is always open). I think this is years of habit where you needed to be disciplined in what was running simply because the CPU couldn't handle too many things open. It's a hard habit to break even though I don't need to follow it anymore and I'm sure it's not efficient nowadays.

I think it is habit. Last year I asked on a Linux forum why people "minimize" programs. Nobody really had a good answer, except habit. On modern machines it doesn't really take long to open most programs, so minimization doesn't save much. I'm not sure, but would that habit come from using MS-Windows? It seems to me that Win folk usually only use one desktop, so things could get pretty messy and unmanageable if everything was open.

..or maybe it's just me. I like things tidy and put away if I'm not using them.

I like that reason. Although my idea of tidy is very different, personal style and organization rulz!

commodorejohn
November 14th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I usually have a CLI open for something or other, even if it's just ELinks.

tingo
November 15th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Only one? Never.
Right now, four of them (I do not count number five, since it is a spare for special purposes, and I only use it occasionally).

TandyMan100
November 19th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I'm on Linux, so you better believe I have a few terminals open! Two irssi sessions to various servers, an ssh session into my cluster computer, and I'm installing a bit of software in a fourth terminal.

Rick Ethridge
November 19th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Had one open earlier. It did it's thing and departed in peace.

DOS lives on!!
November 23rd, 2012, 02:39 PM
Playing right now with my Leading Edge Model D. Love the opening splash screen for LEWP.

Caluser2000
November 24th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Fired up my HP3216 today after replacing the generic cdrom with an HP branded cdr/w. Its been under the bed for a few months.

Booted up fine to the predetermined user account running X and Window Maker. Clicked on a the nice big icon that looks like a monitor. Yip its still there. Stared at it, nice moon background, for a few seconds and click the big "X" then proceeded to play Gnome Marjongg on desktop no.3 appropriately labeled "Games n stuff".

Should've really be doing the gardens.

Jimmy
November 25th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Yes I do