PDA

View Full Version : What's a good Linux distro?

atari2600a
June 9th, 2006, 04:15 PM
I'm looking for a Linux distro that will install under a NTFS partition. I know they exist, I'm just too lazy to research them to see which one's best.

I'm looking for a GUI (X-server) based distro, so...Yeah...

Vlad
June 9th, 2006, 04:22 PM
. I know they exist, I'm just too lazy to research them to see which one's best.

Your never going to get ahead in life like this. Google is your friend. Life is hard work, ya just gotta do it. Asking someone what a good distro is is like asking what a good pizza place is. Everyone has their own favorite, you just have to find yours. I've never heard of on installing onto NTFS, I've only found FAT32 ones. Its really much better to use the Linux FS than it is a Windows one. You can have both on seperate partitions with different File systems. That would be a better way of doing it in my opinon. But I don't have THAT much experence in Dual booting like that. I just install Linux as the primary OS. Just Google it, I'm sure that there will be stuff out there to help you.....

-VK

atari2600a
June 9th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah, about the repartitioning, From what I've heard, it's unsafe, like not using a condom or something. Is this true? & if not, what (windows-based) program should I use to repartition my HD?

USSEnterprise
June 9th, 2006, 04:43 PM
During the setup of linux, it will automatically make a new partition, and you will be able to dual boot between Linux and Windows using either Grub or Lilo Boot Loader. I like Fedora and Ubuntu Myself

Vlad
June 9th, 2006, 04:43 PM
As far as I know, you can't do ANYTHING with partitions INSIDE of windows. I've used Linux installers to resize partitions all that time, and nothing bad ever happened to me. I'd ask mbbrutman about all this, he can probably help you out more than I can. I don't want to screw anything up for you, he know this stuff better than I do.....

-VK

atari2600a
June 9th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Man, I hate Lilo! There's barely even any UI in it! Grub, In my opinion, is clearly better than Lilo!

OK, so now the question is What's a better LInux partition in general?

Here's Things I plan to do w/ Linux:

-Internet (Though my WLAN card's manufacturor didn't include Linux drivers w/ the CD that came w/ it...I'll find one, or at least find drivers for the same chipset!)
-Hacking
-Compiling exploits for hacking
-More Hacking

Also, It must support dual-monitors.

tgunner
June 9th, 2006, 05:35 PM
What manufacturer is your WLAN card? Is this a laptop? Do want to just use X11, or would you prefer a nice Desktop Environment such as Gnome or KDE? If you are unsure, you probably want either of the latter, just use google images to see a screen-shot of either. I personally prefer Ubuntu, and Kubuntu, but if your computer has a lot of odd devices, I would recommend SUSE 10.1, it is a very complete OS.

Vlad
June 9th, 2006, 05:35 PM
If your just going to get your self into trouble, then no one's going to help you. Hacking; It's not worth it. Trust me, I know this from experence. Its really not worth it, if you get caught, kiss your life goodbye becuase the Gov't will ALWAYS be watching your every move. I'm speaking from experence here, don't do anything stupid you might regret........

-VK

mbbrutman
June 9th, 2006, 06:56 PM
#include <rant.h>

Repartitioning is nothing like not using a condom. How the heck did you get that analogy? Repartitioning is allocating space on your hard drive. Your machine isn't going to get an STD because you created a new partition.

You don't want to partition your hard drive to install a new OS and you fancy yourself to be some sort of hacker? You knock LILO in favor of Grub, without realizing what a boot loader does or that LILO is ancient code compared to GRUB? Of course GRUB is better than LILO - it's far new, far more code and far more complex!!

Here is my very public advice. Cut the BS. Spend a few years reading and learning before you start spewing crap forth from your mouth that you know nothing about. Get rid of the bogus swagger. Go take one of your old machines and put a few Linux distros on it yourself. Learn something while you are there.

tgunner
June 9th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Atari2600a - You order anything? Cause' you just got served! :eek:

atari2600a
June 10th, 2006, 12:34 AM
{

#include <b!tchslap.h>

printf("Repartitioning=Moving Data! Moving Data + Using different OS or OS Installer = Bad! I've lost data before when repartitioning, I've read nothing but bad stuff about repartitioning in another OS! There's other uses for Linux besidses Hacking! Here of that new thing called the Internet? Video Games? Hardware hacking? Programming? etc..... ");

Return 0
}

mbbrutman
June 10th, 2006, 06:49 AM
{

#include <b!tchslap.h>

printf("Repartitioning=Moving Data! Moving Data + Using different OS or OS Installer = Bad! I've lost data before when repartitioning, I've read nothing but bad stuff about repartitioning in another OS! There's other uses for Linux besidses Hacking! Here of that new thing called the Internet? Video Games? Hardware hacking? Programming? etc..... ");

Return 0
}

Let me try to read that .. you think you are 'b1tchslapping' me because you admit that you don't know how to partition a hard drive correctly?

If you would use the right tools, you wouldn't lose data. And of course if you had a backup before you did it, you could burn the whole hard drive in the fireplace and it wouldn't matter. Go take some time to find the right tools, and not just rely on what is in the box with the OS.

Here's Things I plan to do w/ Linux:

-Internet (Though my WLAN card's manufacturor didn't include Linux drivers w/ the CD that came w/ it...I'll find one, or at least find drivers for the same chipset!)
-Hacking
-Compiling exploits for hacking
-More Hacking

Let's see - 3 out of four of your informal todo list says hacking. And just what conclusion are we to draw from this? That you are a n00b wannabee script kiddie. If you were cool about it, you'd be keeping your mouth shut and just doing it, not advertising to the world that you are going to do it.

Hear of that new thing called the Internet?

I've been an Internet user since before you were born kid. By quite a large margin too. And I also remember back when the average intelligence of users was quite a bit higher because it was an academic network.

Like I've said before, your first posts were cute. Your continued infantilism is wearing thin on a few of us:

Think before you post
Don't post anything you might regret later
At this early stage in your life, time is better spent listening than running your mouth.

USSEnterprise
June 10th, 2006, 07:35 AM
this is comical

Chris2005
June 10th, 2006, 08:46 AM
"Asking someone what a good distro is is like asking what a good pizza place is."

Aegean's in Holbrook, NY...the Leaning Tower of Pizza in Shirley, NY (possibly gone or moved)...shall I continue LOL

For partitioning a hard drive, a good tool is Partition Magic, now marketed by Symanted. There's the Linux edition of Upgrading a Repairing PCs by Scott Mueller "the Linux Edition". It comes with PM 4 methinks. You could probably get it cheap on Amazon. You're always advised to do a backup (Norton Ghose?) before you start messing with your stuph like that. Or get an older PC and try it on that.

USSEnterprise
June 10th, 2006, 08:53 AM
you don't need to use partition magic. The Linux setup repartitions automatically

carlsson
June 10th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Or as a MAME contributor had put it regarding arcade games not yet emulated in MAME due to their heavy data encryption; not many people have the skills required to take on the task, and those who do seem to use their time to write trojans and viruses instead.

Chris2005
June 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM
"you don't need to use partition magic. The Linux setup repartitions automatically"

It's a good all around tool to have though.

tgunner
June 10th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Hiren's Boot CD!

Vlad
June 10th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I've always let teh Linux Installer handle things. Never tried Partition Magic, heard good things about it though. I usually stick to one OS though......

-VK

amedic
June 10th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I reccomend using Partition Magic as a tool for Windows users both within and without Windows. One can install it on to Windows, or use it as a bootable cd for emergencies. Also, partitioning helps "quarintine" infected parts of your OS. I keep my OS on one partition and then I keep all my files on another partition, taht way if my Windows partition becomes FUBAR I can reinstall Windows and then still have all my files.

Vlad
June 10th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Wow, you can do all that? dang, I gotta get that now. I've always done System Restore Points when my Windows install goes south. But that doesn't always work. I just try to be careful. But wow, I need to get Partition Magic now.....

-VK

atari2600a
June 10th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I use System Restore only in extreme cases. I only use it if l can't find it on MSConfig, & if Ad-Aware & Spybot S&D don't get it.

Vlad
June 10th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Do you even know what your talking about half of the time? Seriously.

MSconfig is a configuration utility, thats not going to help you if a file gets damaged or an .ini file gets destroyed. MSConfig just tweaks windows and the bootup. What are you going to do if boot.ini comes up missing? Or what if NTLDR and NTDETECT.com get damaged or end up missing? MSconfig isn't going to help you, and in this case neither will System Restore. So tell me, if NTLDR, boot.ini, and NTDETECT.com all got deleted, what would YOU do? Reformat and reinstall windows? Reinstall Windows? Or Other?

atari2600a
June 10th, 2006, 03:10 PM
OK, for 1, alot of viruses, adware, spyware, etc... are just a file or service running in the background, set to run whenever windows is started. IN MSConfig, you can easily track it down & disable it from turning on when Windows boots up.

Second of all, if I was missing important system files, I'd boot into another OS & use a data recovery program before they get overwritten.

Vlad
June 10th, 2006, 03:17 PM
OR you could do what most people do and put them on a floppy so all you have to do is go into the recovery console and put them back. Its a lot eaiser and fiddling around with a second OS and trying to recover something that probably can't be recovered. CHKDSK also works wonders on saving Windows.

Do you use a Firewall? A firewall stops most of that stuff BEFORE it gets on your computer. There's lot's of good ones that are free. Like we use Zone Alarm at work. Or in extream cases, you could get an ISA server, but I wouldn't recommend you do that until you learn a lot more.......

Oh yeah, you can stop the service all you want, its still there and will probably start itself again sooner or later. There is no replacement for a good old fashioned backup. And Most of the time, they can hide the Virus from showing up in the process list and such, so you may not even be able to see it until it breaks something. Backups and Good Security Software, you can't do with out them.......

-VK

bbcmicro
June 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Yup, backing up is a must. I bet everyone here has had nasty experiences where they relaxed their routine. I lost all my Oblivion save files...never again. No amount of faffing about can recover files better than if you just have them on disk.

Vlad
June 10th, 2006, 03:20 PM
O_o, wow, that sucks. Very true though. I've had a disaster with the server once, never again. Backups, and often.....

-VK

atari2600a
June 10th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Maybe I should of explained what I do w/ MSConfig in more detail :)

I use SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware, & Sometimes Norton to rid my computer of viruses, but if they're still in use in the memory (& I can't use Task Manager to turn them off) the programs have a hard time deleting them. If I find them in MSConfig, I disable them from turning on, restart my computer w/ SpyBot or a similar program set to execute before explorer.exe, & then rid myself of the virus.

Vlad
June 10th, 2006, 03:48 PM
O_O You use Norton? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Wow, you might want to get AVG free, or failing at that, anything other than Norton. Seriously, you might as well have nothing at all. Norton is worthless. AVG free edition is excellent. 98% of the machines that come into the shop that have ANYTHING made by Symentec have had Viruses spewing out of it. AVG is free too, and a lot more secure that Norton. That's probably your problem right there. That and Norton is Notorious for playing with the with system files, scrambling things about......

-VK

bbcmicro
June 10th, 2006, 03:51 PM
I can definately vouch for AVG free. I told my friend I had Norton. He laughed in my face, from what I understand with good reason. My parents use MacAfee, can't vouch for that either. I use AVG 'cos I'm mean and it's better that Norton, my free month subscription with Norton was enough to prove it ;)

Vlad
June 10th, 2006, 03:54 PM
McAfee NOT Macafee.

Anyway when my Subscription to McAfee runs out, I'm gonna use AVG free and probably Sygate Firewall. (I have a version of it BEFORE Symantec got their dirty hands on it.) Computer Assosiates has some nice security software out there I'm testing at work. ZoneAlarm is based off the same thing their useing. Its rather nice. But I'm going to stick to AVG and Sygate.....

-VK

<EDIT>
http://www.supcomputers.com/superiorstore/pest-patrol-antivirus-combo-p-1589.html

There's the Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware part of the software I tested at work. Its nice and I had no problems with it. No Firewall though.

dongfeng
June 10th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Thumbs up for AVG Free from me :)

Vlad
June 10th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I've installed it onto a machine full of viruses, updateded it, then it cleaned everything out. Dang thats good......

-VK

atari2600a
June 10th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Norton came w/ this computer (Not my PIII, I'm on an HP Pavilion right now), & I'm too lazy to uninstall it, plus I already have it cracked for unlimited updates. (It's really easy, all you have to do is replace a single file)

I don't have any firewall or antivirus software on my PIII, since I just got my WLAN router back up. (For some reason, the "Factory Default" option in the router's software didn't work, but the reset button on the back did...)

Vlad
June 10th, 2006, 05:02 PM
OK, let's see what we've got here. You just admitted to illegal theft of software and you not useing anything at all on your other machine. I wonder if Symantec presses charges against priates?

And c'mon, don't steal stuff. Thats just lame. Either pay for something or just get a free/opensource program that does the samething. Stealing software is the all time stupidest thing I have ever seen. There's always a free or Open Source program that does the same thing. AVG free edition for example.....

And you do realize that the Government watches popular Internet forums like this one. Congradulations on starting your FBI record. You got a long way to go if your gonna try to catch up with me.......

-VK

atari2600a
June 10th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I didn't "Steal" it, I "Un-expired" it! I'm not paying a monthly fee for 2MB definitions!

Vlad
June 10th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Still counts. You are stealing the updates. If you normally have to pay for something, and your getting it for free when everyone else has to pay, thats stealing it.

http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=HHOSubscriptionRenewalInd&client=Symantec&sid=49997&CID=255785

I'd use that before they stumble across this or the Gov't people who keep watch over this stuff get board enough to do something about it.

-VK

mbbrutman
June 10th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Wow .. now that's a good euphimism. Next time I pull a five finger discount in my favorite store I'm going to explain that I'm just brining freedom to the valuable things I've chosen.

The FBI probably doesn't care about this group. If anything, they are interested in the more advanced collectors for forensics reasons. There isn't anything going on here that is outrageous. Go find old issues of 2600 for some real old-school phun. :-)

As for the NSA, given what has been happening the US lately, I'm sure that if it is not encrypted it is being keyword scanned. And probably not when it gets posted, but probably while the HTML GET/POST is enroute. My new joke is:

'Backup services provided by the NSA .. Our motto is consider it done!'

atari2600a
June 10th, 2006, 05:34 PM
The National Standards Association?

Vlad
June 10th, 2006, 05:42 PM
FBI wise, If I'm here, more than likely they have stopped by atleast a few times. Trust me, if I'm active on a Forum, they have checked on me a few times.

In this case, NSA= National Security Agency

I bet they've got something on me too.....

-VK

ahm
June 10th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Hey, why not just use a Live CD distro? Then you don't need to mess with your hard drive.

For example, I'm currently trying out SLAX Standard Edition v5.1.6.
It's only 192MB so it fits onto an 8cm CDROM, but includes enough stuff to make a decent KDE desktop. RIght now, I've got it booted with the "copy2ram" option, which copies the entire O/S into RAM, freeing up my CD-RW so I can rip or burn stuff.

SLAX comes in other editions, including the Server Edition, the Popcorn Edition (for 128MB USB flash drive) and the Kill Bill Edition.
Check it out at http://www.slax.org

(Disclaimer: I have no relationship with SLAX other than as a user)

tgunner
June 10th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Damn vlad, you make it seem like your on the FBI's most wanted list! As for live CD's, the new Ubuntu Dapper Drake linux install cd is ALSO the Live cd! How cool is that???

atari2600a
June 10th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I do have some live CD's, I use Knoppix & Damn Small Linux. Both are good, but I can't load Knoppix on my RAM, since I only have 256MB & it requires over 1GB. I can load DSL onto RAM though, seeing the CD is a 50MB ISO w/ compressed data.

I don't use live cd's because It'd be a b!tch saving data onto a whole bunch of floppies, & even if I took the trouble of saving Linux files under NTFS running & running them in Knoppix, I'd still have a bunch of write errors.

NathanAllan
June 10th, 2006, 11:27 PM
I'm with vlad about the FBI. Since I'm here then they've probably seen me here. I've found "bugs" in my house(neat little thing, looked like a headphone that was taken out aof a headset, about the size of a nickel and about the thickness of 2 or 3 quarters) and heard people on my phone lines (in three different residences), and had my email take about three days to get somewhere. The email thing can be written off to servers and routers, but along with the other things it makes me very suspect. Plus I have a couple of friends that WERE gov black ops and r&d. I've never done anything to get this attention that I know of.

I also have to agree, you gotta jump in and risk the amount of time and frustration teaching yourself about Linux, atari. I did and so totally was it worth it! You can take a class and work from books and opinions, but when you just jump in you get a real feel for it and your own likes/dislikes about distros of linux. Your experiences become more three+ dimensional. Live cd's are a good way to get a starting feel for the os. And there are live cd distros that have cd burning capabilities, you just gotta read about them. You're not locked to floppies. Or even a usb drive or something. There are LOTS of options. www.linux.org there's a good starting place. Jump in!

/edit Slax looks really nice! I just looked over a page or two of it. I can see no better reason to have a pocket 486 with usb!

/edit again Maybe I'm tired. But I thought of a new pda, the P1 in my Pocket, or P1MP

atari2600a
June 10th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I do know how to use Linux, I just want some peoples opinions on which distro's better.

As for bugs & stuff, My best friend is Pakistany (or however that would be pronounced right & spelt), & he's Muslim (as am I), & for a month or two, we could tell that his phoneline was being tapped, because of the weakness of the signal & static (well, not Static, but just plain interference). We'd joke aroud soo much about that, talking on the phone about how much the FBI did a crappy job doing so & said things like "Hey Sharuhk, don't mention the Anthrax/Cocaine/Nuclear bomb/Child Pornography/Pirated Software smuggling ring we have going on with our underground accompliant 'Thumper' on the phone OK?"

Have you done anything like that w/ those bugs you've found in your house?

By the way, I want a PiMP!

bbcmicro
June 11th, 2006, 02:35 AM
McAfee NOT Macafee.
Nooo! pwned! :)
I've used couple of live CDs, loading is painful if you have a slow CD-ROM. I suppose I would try and learn more about it , but the download times just scare me away.

Is it a common occurance to find bugs in your house?!

atari2600a
June 11th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Get DSL, it's around 50MB, has Firefox (& of course plenty of other programs) & is very stable. (& yes, you're seeing correctly, my green-light thing is still on; I'm still up!)

bbcmicro
June 11th, 2006, 02:55 AM
The factor for me that would make me seriously consider having a partition on my drive is support for my wireless adapter. I've never seen any drivers for it for linux, but I've not really looked hard...

/edit

Could someone please send me a direct link to the download file of DSL livecd? ta.

atari2600a
June 11th, 2006, 03:09 AM
http://damnsmalllinux.org/ (It might take about 2 minutes of browsing through FTP servers until you find the latest ISO image)

Is your WLAN adapter by any chance made by Buffalo, because I haven't seen a Linux driver for it either, but I also haven't really looked. One thing that might help though is to find the chipset it uses & search for a driver for a card that uses the same chipset.

bbcmicro
June 11th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Nah, its Netgear. The Windows driver is atrociously written though

atari2600a
June 11th, 2006, 03:14 AM
Poorly written? how?

(Note to self: Studio-Quality headphones+Glasses+wearing both for 3+ hours=hurts!)

bbcmicro
June 11th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Sorry, my bad, its the config utility, not the driver. Unfortunately you can't install one without the other
Everytime I start my PC, or it comes out of standby or hibernation, Windows tells me the configuration utility has encountered an error and has to close. I got fed up of these, so I removed it from Startup and let Windows take over. Instead of error messages I got random stop errors. Around 1 every hour. I decided I preffered the error messages and thus it stays.

atari2600a
June 11th, 2006, 03:38 AM
I, too, have to keep a config utility on for my WLAN card, because since I'm using Win2000, It has no support for WLAN adaptors. On WinXP, However, I would NEVER install a crappy program like that. They only take up memory, slow things down, & do the same thing WinXP does w/o it!

bbcmicro
June 11th, 2006, 03:39 AM
Yeah, but like I said, I can't remove it and let XP do it. I briefly toyed with the idea of getting a better adapter but decided against it. I can live with the odd error message.

atari2600a
June 11th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Did you just disable the executable? Your problem is probobly there's a service for it running in the background. (& also, it's an obvious tip, but) Have you checked "Add/Remove Programs" under the Control Panel?

bbcmicro
June 11th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Yup, I don't want to bother with fixing it anyway. I'm used to it and its not a necessity.

atari2600a
June 11th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Not gonna fix it!? You better fix it, or I'll send an evil monkey to come to your house, live in your closet, & point directly at you at just the right moments!:D

(Wait...Do you get the show "Family Guy" in England? If not, then PM me if you want the above joke explained...)

Vlad
June 11th, 2006, 06:06 AM
ME? Top Most wanted? No, I'm on the FBI's top most annoying to them list.
Let's jsut say I've researched some stuff that brought me to something I shouldn't have seen. Then they got pissed off at me and let me know it.

SLAX goes entirely into RAM? Awesome! I've been wanting a distro to do that for ever. I'm gonna check it out now.

Oh yeah, Nathan, expect en e-mail from me, I found out something wicked kewl, but I know it's gonna get intercepted....

-Vlad

bbcmicro
June 11th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Haha, evil monkey. Yes I do get the joke, and I do watch family guy, though its not aired very often so I bought some of the box set DVDs

atari2600a
June 11th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Hey, less chit-chat, more WLAN-fixy! Or else:
http://www.hotsauceblog.com/images/thakswet/evil%20monkey.jpg

bbcmicro
June 11th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
*dies*

Would it make you feel better if I said that I have?

Anyway, somebody really ought to bring this back to topic. But I can't so I'll let someone else do it

mbbrutman
June 11th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Anybody who wants to continue the Linux Distro question thread originally started by Atari can do so here. Otherwise, it's very easy to start a new thread, which is where WLAN discussions and black helicopter reports should go. (And not in the same new thread.)

Terry Yager
June 11th, 2006, 04:02 PM
But what if the BlackHelicopter's RF jamming is interfering with my WLAN?

--T

alexkerhead
June 11th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I recommend Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06.
It can use gnome or kde like most xserver capable linux distros and has a really nice terminal setup, keeping a user from logging in as root everytime they need to compile/install.
It uses a synaptic package manager to install packages, like if you choose vlc media player(best in the world for linux) it will install all needed packages to run it for you, keeping you from pulling your hair out. I hate compiling for an hour and getting "you are missing libsmed or something, can make you want to pull your hair out, but with synaptic packagae manager, you dont have to use terminal or install cumbsersome rpms. You can add repositories for adding packages. It also lets you search for types of software and packages to install. Ubuntu only uses one disk as well, making it easy and quick to install. It detects most modern hardware(atari, you wont have a problem, it will easily find your older hardware)
Ubuntu, unlike fedora, uses fewer resources and runs fast even on CPUs under 1GHz and 256MB RAM. Ubuntu comes with firefox of course with auto update installs. Ubuntu keeps itself updated as well, for security and such.
I have used fedora, turbo, basic redhat, mandrake and several others and nothing came close to ubuntu for ease of use. If you want to pretend you are a hacker and crap, you hit ctrl+alt+F1, the terminal pops up immediately, and after you get off the ego pile, hit ctrl+alt+F7 to go back to desktop.
Ubuntu has too many features to mention, just try it out for yourself.
It even has a self configuring grub loader that detects and adds other OSs. It will read and create ntfs partitions and fats.
I use the extended 2 linux partition on smaller drives and extended 3 on larger drives.

For anyone wanting to know howto setup partitions on windows, here is how in win 98/me/95
goto run, type cmd, type fdisk
setup partitions.

Windows 2000/xp
goto control panel, got admin area, goto services, goto computer(or something similar, not on an xp machine right now) there will be an area there for drive configuration, great partitioning software I think, very nice and fast.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Oh, and atari2600a, please try using a search engine from time to time. I use yahoo personally for everything, but google, ask jeeves, etc are great as well.

atari2600a
June 11th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I use google all the time, I just wanted peoples opinions on which Linux distro I should use, & apperantly it's helped!:D

Chris2005
June 13th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I'm not well versed in Linux/Unix stuph at all, but I can't help but wonder if an older version of say Slackware might be a good first choice. Maybe not up to snuph security-wise and all, but possibly a less steep learning curve then a newer distro. Or Debian, but that takes the most thought to install. I have (2) older books which have Corel Linux (based on Debian) on cd, and anyone that wants a copy...for shipping (media rate?).

atari2600a
June 13th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Just for the note, slackware is a type of Linux distro, but you speak of it like a distro itself...:confused:

Terry Yager
June 13th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Just for the note, slackware is a type of Linux distro, but you speak of it like a distro itself...:confused:

Hunh???

--T

NathanAllan
June 13th, 2006, 06:17 PM
As far as I know it *is* a distro unto itself. A good one. I have it on a laptop.

carlsson
June 14th, 2006, 02:14 AM
I think Atari tries to say that Linux distributions come in many levels of complexity. Slackware is a basic "framework" distribution that many other so-called distributions are built upon (adding bells and whistles, but being more or less compatible with the original). Other distributions may be built upon Debian in similar ways. So you can install Slackware - which is a Linux distribution - or you can install a distribution built upon Slackware, which would be one more abstraction layer.

Chris2005
June 16th, 2006, 07:16 AM
umm, if you mean simply that Slackware isn't packaged and sold commer-cially, that shouldn't make a difference. Debian is a full blown distro if ever there was one, but it's not sold. I'll defer to your knowledge on the subject, it wouldn't take much to know more then I do, but all the literature I've ever seen refers to SW as A distro, and in fact the oldest surviving one.