PDA

View Full Version : AS/400e info

cbc
November 19th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Hello,

Although I'm a new member, I've been searching this and other places high & low for some information on an AS/400 I have acquired.

It's a AS/400e, 2406-170 model in the larger case which contains additional drives, and what looks like 2 additional Twinax cards in it.

I have in my possession as well the IBM cable 97H7557 which looks to be the correct cable to connect to a Twinax output on the rear and plug into a Windows machine with the client access software installed. Of course, I'm missing the client access software (well if it's on the machine, I can't get to it either yet).

What I gather in my searching is that I probably either need the Windows Client access software, as the Linux version only wants to connect via TCP/IP,, or an actual terminal to connect to this machine. I didn't happen to see a download link from IBM for the Windows software, but the Linux version is easy to obtain.

As it sits, when I turn the machine on, it seems to initialize all the drives, and settles on a code (which I wrote down, but misplaced that notebook!), and the attention light remains lit. It does not seem to complete an IPL, and I'm guessing it's waiting for input from the main Operations Console.

So if I need a real terminal, do I need a 5250 terminal (with associated cabling) to connect to this machine? Or will an "emulator" such as this work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Visara-NCT-1783-terminal-mainframe-emulator-AS-400-TN5250-TN3270E-/230880871455?pt=US_Thin_Clients&hash=item35c192841f

I've been going over the manuals available from IBM, but I haven't found the doc that says "this is how to turn your AS/400 on and what to connect to it to make it work" doc yet :cool: Most of what I've found describes the hardware and add-on cards, although I am still going over the installation planning doc to see if there is anything in there.

Thanks for any assistance!
Clay Carley

g4ugm
November 19th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I believe that you need a twinax connection, so either a real IBM 5250 compatible terminal

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-3472-Twinax-Dumb-Terminal-Green-CRT-Full-Sized-Keyboard-Vintage-/120949188426?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item1c2922274a

or a 5250 card and emulation software. This looks like it might fit the bill:-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSaNOVA-PLUS-ISA-6401-TWINAX-5250-EMULATION-CARD-/110792089824?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cbb920e0

Whilst the thin client you posted a link for has an option for a twinax card it, it doesn't have one fitted. Not sure how rare these are, but I would venture that the famous "round tuits" are more common...l

cbc
November 19th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info! Sure does seem a tad more cost effective to grab the whole terminal rather than the card... Or you at least get more for your money.

I had a feeling that terminal I posted would be iffy at best...

Thanks,
Clay

g4ugm
November 19th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Its not at all "iffy"Its just it doesn't do what you want !, In fact I have a couple of similar devices sat on the table to the left of my display. They are very usefull for getting a "semi vintage" feel if you can't find or scrounge a real 3174 Mainframe Controller and co-ax attached screen, like the one to my right. They both end up connecting to the Hercules Mainframe emulator over TCP/IP, but I think a Raspberry PI might be a a cheaper way to do it....

Note that non of this is any use on an AS/400 until you have TCP/IP up and running, and even then the AS/400 really wants to talk TN5250 and my stuff talks tn3270. What a strange world mainframes are...

Jimmy
November 19th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Dave:

If you have an older computer with an 8bit ISA Slot then an emulation card is pretty inexpensive
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-5250-88F0148-ISA-Emulation-Network-Adapter-card-/221112575144?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337b5624a8

You will need an emulation package such as IBM Dos Terminal Emulator or IBM Personal Communications. The Twinax adapter needs to be address "0" for the System Operator Display if I remember correctly. Also the card will need as adapter cable that will terminate the connection. It will connect to the D Pin Adapter on the card. If you acquire a card without an adapter, I believe I have a couple of extra ones still around.

As far as the System Attention Light on the system booting up, you could be right it may be stopping when it is attempting to find the System Opertors Console. The error codes on the front display will help if you decode the error.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Jimmy

cbc
November 20th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for the assistance thus far.

Found my notes, and the last code on startup that is displayed is:
675a3200

There are other C-codes that fly by of course, but when the machine has stopped doing things, that's the code that remains.

I did some google searching, and will be doing more. From what I found, it may be a failed drive.

As for the terminal emulator card, that looks like a good idea, if I happen to still have a machine with an ISA slot... which I may... I seem to recall a shared ISA/PCI slot on some of these boards from a few years ago.

Wow, failed drive, the possibility of no O/S, possibly need a terminal, still have to figure out how to reset the QSECOFR password... quite a project I've gotten myself into. Makes the Digital Alpha stuff look easy! Then again, I guess it was...

Thanks again,
Clay

Jimmy
November 20th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Clay:

A lof of users fail to reset the default password for QSRV. You might want to try to get to Dedicated Service Tools in restricted mode when you get the drive problem solved. If you will look up the model number on the drive, I may have have one here. We have upgraded the drives on most of our boxes over the years and I have hung on to the old drives.

cbc
November 21st, 2012, 06:14 AM
Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the reply. When I picked up the machine, there was a "spare" drive included... which may or may not work. The owner of the machine, however, had no idea how to operate it or what to connect it to. Looked like it might have been a night stand for a few years :(

I'm hoping that when I get console connected and functional, that even with the error code on the front panel, I'll see some sort of informative output. I certainly don't want to go moving disks around if there's any possibility of getting what it has on it working.

I did receive some books yesterday, "Introduction to As/400 System Operations" and "Control Language Programming for the As/400". I'm still confidant that I will get this machine running and online. Just don't know how much time it will take with my work schedule...

Thanks for all the help,
Clay

NeXT
November 21st, 2012, 07:49 AM
If you were closer I would recommend heading down to Sunnyvale and seeing if Weirdstuff has any Twinax terminals for sale or if any of the recyclers down there had anything. If you were closer up north I know for certain that the RE-PC in Renton has a whole shelf of InfoWindow II systems for sale. I'm thinking of going back down there some time to get one myself.

cbc
November 21st, 2012, 12:10 PM
NeXT,

Well you know, with the nature of my work, I do end up in the South Bay from time to time. I'll have to check that place out; I found their website and it looks like a cool shop.

Man if I were only closer to Washington!

Clay

SteveH
November 21st, 2012, 12:14 PM
Hi Clay,

When you get a console connected you should be able to perform a manual IPL and then use the Dedicated Service Tools (DST) option to recover your QSECOFR password. I haven't had to do this for quite some time, but I've got the following amongst my bookmarks which might help - Admin Alert: Resurrecting the QSECOFR Profile in OS/400 (http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh040802-story04.html)

Also, should you decide to use a proper twinax terminal as the console, make sure you configure it as session id 0 (you can have 0 to 7) and connect it to port 0 of the twinax block. If however you are using a PC as the console, just connect the PC to your 170 using the 97H7557 cable you mentioned, then configure a Client Access/400 session to use the PC Comm port. I've got an old Win98 laptop setup as a Client Access console somewhere - I'll dig it out over the weekend and report back how the CA400 is configured.

Take a look at the following IBM link on Changing known passwords (http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=%2Frzamv%2Frzamvchangepwd.htm). It lists some default profiles/passwords and default DST profiles/passwords.

Steve

gslick
November 21st, 2012, 01:16 PM
If you were closer I would recommend heading down to Sunnyvale and seeing if Weirdstuff has any Twinax terminals for sale or if any of the recyclers down there had anything. If you were closer up north I know for certain that the RE-PC in Renton has a whole shelf of InfoWindow II systems for sale. I'm thinking of going back down there some time to get one myself.

I was at RE-PC yesterday and saw those IBM terminals. I didn't look too close as they didn't seem like anything I could use. I don't know what price they were asking and don't remember seeing any keyboards for them.

cbc
November 24th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Hi Steve,

I have spent some time looking at those links :) I may still be "doing it wrong" but I haven't been able to get a serial connection from the windows box to work yet. It looks the software wants a username & password before making the connection. I tried several of the different default username/password combos and still haven't seen anything. I think I need to look through some more IBM docs to see what the different IPL options really mean as well.

While browsing Ebay I did come across an external tape drive; cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-7208-342-8MM-MAMMOTH-TAPE-DRIVE-20GB-BACKUP-LOOK-/271109633161?pt=US_Tape_Data_Cartidge_Drives&hash=item3f1f64b489
For the price, I'm certainly considering picking that up!

Although yesterday was "Black Friday", I did have a chance to check out our local used hardware supply shop; HSC electronics, in Rohnert Park. http://www.halted.com/ Although they had a nice selection of 19" racks, rectifiers, giant projectors, Cisco switches, Sun servers, and other random cool stuff, there were no IBM terminals. I did see an IBM x-Series e-Server; looked clean on the outside, no price though. Not what I was looking for anyway.

When I get my webserver back up, I'll make sure to get some images up of this "mini". I think the webserver got jealous; the hard drive crashed hard shortly after the AS/400 arrived. Good thing I've got backups!

Clay

cbc
November 25th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Since the machine may be complaining of disk issues with the code that it displays, I decided that a re-seat of the drives probably wouldn't hurt.

I went through the drives in 1/2 of the machine yesterday, but upon inspection, I'm not sure that there is anything on this machine at all. All of the drives have "Done" written in sharpie on them with a checkmark... which says to me that they may have been "cleaned". I guess this just adds to the challenge.

I did purchase the tape drive I listed above. I'm sure that's just going to add to the whole experience! I'm still looking at terminals; however I'm going to the Los Angeles area next week for work and am hoping to perhaps find some computer recycle places while I'm there.

Clay

SteveH
November 25th, 2012, 01:47 PM
...I haven't been able to get a serial connection from the windows box to work yet. It looks the software wants a username & password before making the connection...

Hi Clay,

I've dug out my old win2k laptop that has CA/400 set-up as a console for my AS/400 model 150. It's running CA/400 V3R2 and the configuration settings are:

And here's the configuration file for this:

You will need to rename the configuration file to be DSP01.ws - the forum refused to uploaded it without the .txt extension.

Hope that helps.
Steve

cbc
November 25th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Hi Steve,

That helps a lot actually! I'll have to take a look at the windows box again, I don't remember seeing that async console checkbox.

Thanks for the config file as well. I'll give this another go & make sure to keep you all updated.

Clay

JOHNMORR
November 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM
You can tap into a lot of AS/400 knowledge by signing up for one of the midrange mailing lists here:
http://www.midrange.com/lists.htm
It is a very active list. I'd recommend MIDRANGE-L

cbc
December 4th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Hi John,
I was able to sign up for midrange-l the other day, and wow, you are right! That certainly is a very active list.

I'm still mulling over my terminal options, and working with it when I have time.

Thanks!
Clay

JOHNMORR
December 4th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Clay:
FWIW, I use an IBM Infowindow 3476 twinax terminal for the console on our 9406-270.
Never could get the darned serial cable to pc to work. Not needful, though.

PM sent.

cbc
December 30th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Hey all,

Happy Holidays, etc. For the past month I've been shipped off to So-Cal for work, so I haven't had much time for anything. Most of the time my days were 4:00am to 8:00pm...

In any case, thankfully I get paid by the hour and accrued a bit of doubletime pay, as well as getting a nice bonus this year. So I've spent the past few days browsing ebay & IBM docs for info. I wasn't able to get the PC 5250 emulation to work on a Windows laptop, and my other machines run Linux. The Windows box didn't list any serial ports when I got the software running, even after checking the async box. Of course, I was also trying to use a USB-Serial adapter, which who knows if it was working properly. Works 100% on my Thinkpad X40 running CentOS...

So I have a green screen terminal on order; a 3476-BG3 model. Also, the 4-port twinax brick, a SCSI cable for the tape drive as well as 1 tape. Figured I'd start with 1 to confirm operation, and go from there. I did confirm that this box has the external tape controller card installed. I am excited to get the terminal plugged in to see what this box is complaining about... I'm still thinking positive, and hopefully it's complaining of a disk error because of the dead battery... the error comes up after it looks at the CD drive. I have a feeling though, that's not going to be the case.

I searched this site as well and found some good info in some old posts as well. I guess we'll see how this goes in a week or two!

Clay

cbc
January 4th, 2013, 04:27 PM
I haven't received the terminal yet, nor have I seen shipping confirmation, but I finally got my webserver fixed so here's a couple of photos:

Front:

http://carleynet.net/familypictures/albums/album70/2012_11_09_16_28_02_171.sized.jpg

Rear:

http://carleynet.net/familypictures/albums/album70/2012_11_09_16_27_46_255.sized.jpg

I was surprised to see the cover on the rear. The guy I got it from, well, probably used it as a nightstand. Anyone wondering about the sound output from one of these will be pleasantly surprised; it's really relatively quiet! The large fans move a lot of air at low RPM, not like a modern 1-U server at all with the screaming tiny fans.

Clay

JOHNMORR
January 5th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the update. Good pix.

NeXT
January 5th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Who are you hosting your photos with? The image links on your last post are broken.

cbc
January 6th, 2013, 05:09 AM
NeXT,

My images are hosted out of my garage, where I was doing some maintenance yesterday probably around the time you noticed. Everything is back up & running again though :) Starting a webserver that is using mysql on a pvfs2 array requires some love (one of my other "spare time" projects).

Clay

NeXT
January 6th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Ah yes. I see it all now. :D

EverythingIBM
January 6th, 2013, 10:25 PM
That's a delicious AS/400 system you got there; love the red. A client we have at work uses AS/400s in their environment.
I laughed when I saw the usual "pencil poker" power button. I'm guessing IBM does that so someone doesn't accidentally press it, although the Z Pro intellistations don't have it in the recess.

I'd love to get one of those some day, along with an intellistation power. It's a pity I'm running out of room, I have a bad habit of rescuing all of the IBMs that get thrown out at work (servers & mini-towers alike).

mc68010
January 8th, 2013, 03:46 PM
That machine wasn't on Craigslist was it ? It has the identical missing drive slot panel as one I saw awhile ago also in California.

cbc
January 11th, 2013, 07:55 PM
That machine wasn't on Craigslist was it ? It has the identical missing drive slot panel as one I saw awhile ago also in California.

Indeed it was... the photo was more than likely stolen from an ebay ad; it's definitely similar but not exactly the same one that was in the photo. Here's the story: I was sitting on the floor of a CO, waiting for a buddy in our NOC to assist me with some T-1 testing. So I decided to check craigslist for a replacement laptop for my desk at work, as the old T22 was really showing it's age. I search for "IBM" with a max price of $200 in the North Bay area... and what pops up? An AS/400. I jumped on it; and am hoping that this new endeavor will be beneficial for my future.

Although I never received shipping confirmation, I did actually receive the terminal yesterday. I believe it's been restored; it looks pretty darn new with no yellow at all on the casing. The keyboard looks new as well, which was very surprising for the price (under $200)! So now I have the 4-port twinax block, a terminal with a twinax connection, but I still need either a twinax cable to connect them or a couple of baluns. I might swing by our local HSC to see if they have any twinax cables, but I kind of doubt it. I also received the SCSI cable for the tape drive, so it looks like one of these days I'll have the machine running.

I'll see about getting all the bits set up & some new photos.

Clay

cbc
January 20th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Well guys, time for another update.

I ordered a couple of baluns from ebay (a set, so they are the same) and was finally able to connect the terminal to the system. The terminal started up to the setup screen, and I set it to address 0 while also plugging it into the port labeled 0 on the twinax brick. Terminal on, plugged in, time to power up the system, hoping to see something on the screen.

The challenges continue. I was hoping to perhaps see the DST screen, but nope, nothing. Cursor stays at the top right. The panel on the system still reports the same error code. I had a few moments yesterday to try a few things; I pulled a drive that sounded odd on startup, but the code didn't change. I didn't have a chance to write it down, but the code did change when I pulled the first drive... I'll have some more time today to work with it. The IBM troubleshooting manual seems to translate to "pull a drive, if the code remains try a different one until it goes away".

I'll ask on midrange-l as well, but I still wonder: if the drives were zeroed out, will the system perhaps throw the same code?

Some additional photos in my gallery: http://carleynet.net/familypictures/view_album.php?set_albumName=album70

Clay

cobracon
January 20th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I can't seem to get the link to work for the photos. I so wish I could score as as/400 around these parts. Instead I settle for my eserver series x 235.

*I see them now :)

cbc
January 20th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Ah yeah, I suffered a power failure earlier today :( and it took out my public facing interface on the webserver. Pics should be working now :)

I was really shocked to find this machine locally, and honestly only knew what it was because my Dad worked with one back in the late '90's. Ironically, I was handed a X335 at work last week for free!

After the power failure, I was poking at the AS400 again. Pulling the disk that's in slot 1, I no longer got the code for a failed CD or disk. The new code refers to "load source failed or not found", which I think is a step in the right direction. I'm guessing that translates to operating system not found. Still nothing on the console though.

Clay

EverythingIBM
January 22nd, 2013, 11:57 PM
Ah yeah, I suffered a power failure earlier today :( and it took out my public facing interface on the webserver. Pics should be working now :)

I was really shocked to find this machine locally, and honestly only knew what it was because my Dad worked with one back in the late '90's. Ironically, I was handed a X335 at work last week for free!

After the power failure, I was poking at the AS400 again. Pulling the disk that's in slot 1, I no longer got the code for a failed CD or disk. The new code refers to "load source failed or not found", which I think is a step in the right direction. I'm guessing that translates to operating system not found. Still nothing on the console though.

Clay

You can still find some POWER5 intellistations and AS/400 off lease systems for fairly cheap (usually 80% less than it cost new). That's how I get my high-end IBM machines, generally.

lyonadmiral
January 23rd, 2013, 07:56 PM
I'm curious, what OS will you run on it (OS/400 I am assuming) and what apps will you run on it?

cbc
January 24th, 2013, 05:34 AM
I'm curious, what OS will you run on it (OS/400 I am assuming) and what apps will you run on it?

Yeah, it's going to have to run OS/400. I was hoping to be able to learn about using LPARs, but I don't think this hardware will support that.

Otherwise, I'm going to be using it mostly as a learning tool. CL, RPG, etc. And, probably use SQL on it. Oh yeah, backup & recovery too; I still need to get some more tapes for the Mammoth-2 drive I picked up. Overall, I guess you could say I want to learn to be a system operator :)

Clay

lyonadmiral
January 25th, 2013, 11:44 AM
I once worked in a school district, where they wanted to eliminate a person but the only way they could do it was to eliminate the position which was the AS/400 operator. Despite being heavily invested in both IBM hardware & software to run everything in the district, they decided to move off it. Too this day more than a decade later there are those in the district who feel it was the biggest mistake they ever made.

cbc
January 26th, 2013, 06:12 AM
Update:

As of last night, 1-25-13, I finally see output on the terminal! I was so stoked to see the processor light flicker last night that I was giggling with joy; my wife was questioning the sounds coming from the garage. But hey, after all these months of only seeing the attention light and no activity, it was very cool to see the system start functioning.

The disks are now "initialized", and I have to start the OS install process. Looks like this machine has a RAID card, but the battery is probably dead or close to it. Need to investigate more, hopefully today. Ironically, we have a vacation scheduled and are leaving tomorrow for Lake Tahoe.

Thanks to all the help I got from everyone here and at midrange-l! I will definitely continue to update as progress is made. Need to get more photos as well; although I wish the front of the case was in better shape. Although I do see a front cover on ebay every once in a while, not sure if I can justify the $50 for it yet though LOL.

Clay

mbbrutman
January 26th, 2013, 06:22 AM
You can run with a dead battery on the RAID card. It will complain, but it will be functional at a lower performance level. (When the battery is bad the RAID controller is not caching data, so writes will really suffer. Do not try installing a system like this, it will take forever - get the battery changed and the error cleared first.)

Mike

g4ugm
January 26th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Glad you are making progress. It feels really good...

cbc
January 28th, 2013, 02:47 PM
I didn't quite get to the point of pulling the RAID card, but I did see the batteries on it. I would imagine I should be able to find them, as well as the main board battery, probably at Radio Shack. Installation went fine, and so far I'm pleased with the system. Of course, there's still a lot for me to learn...

I did get the tape drive installed Saturday night; and found out that the system takes quite a long time to do a controlled shutdown. I want to say like an hour or more... I haven't done a normal B IPL yet, but the A M IPL seems to go quickly. In any case, I was happy to see that although the tape drive was damaged in shipping, my fix for it is working quite well. The 2 tests that were recommended in the manual that came with it worked like a charm!

Clay

cbc
January 30th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Some new photos:

$30 Tape drive:
http://carleynet.net/familypictures/albums/album70/2013_01_29_15_23_25_413.sized.jpg

Temporary location
http://carleynet.net/familypictures/albums/album70/2013_01_29_15_24_14_869.sized.jpg

Rear
http://carleynet.net/familypictures/albums/album70/2013_01_29_15_24_45_317.sized.jpg

Too bad my SCSI cable is so short for the tape drive; one of these days I'll find a longer one so that I can re-install the rear cover :)

And finally! A login screen!
http://carleynet.net/familypictures/albums/album71/2013_01_26_13_07_52_73.sized.jpg

For some reason, I really enjoy sitting at the terminal... the keyboard, surprisingly (to me), is very nice to use.

Clay

cbc
January 31st, 2013, 06:49 PM
I was able to get this system online! Software installation: well, it's not as easy as "yum install blah", but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Although it's nice not to have to work in the garage on the system, I still like the terminal.

As far as getting the system online, well it turns out that even if you don't need the system to access the internet, you still need a default gateway. Oops... at least it was an easy fix! I'm not sure what hostname to give it yet.

I do find it odd though that it will connect using a standard ASCII terminal, via telnet. tn5250 gets you a color console, though.

Clay

lyonadmiral
January 31st, 2013, 07:20 PM
I was able to get this system online! Software installation: well, it's not as easy as "yum install blah", but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Although it's nice not to have to work in the garage on the system, I still like the terminal.

As far as getting the system online, well it turns out that even if you don't need the system to access the internet, you still need a default gateway. Oops... at least it was an easy fix! I'm not sure what hostname to give it yet.

I do find it odd though that it will connect using a standard ASCII terminal, via telnet. tn5250 gets you a color console, though.

Clay

Would you be interested in drafting a write-up in your experience in installing OS/400 on your very nice piece of IBM?

cbc
February 6th, 2013, 05:22 AM
I would, actually. I'm sure that with hardware prices becoming more reasonable, there will be more "like me" who are interested in learning about these.

It will take some time, as I'm in the middle of a large project for work right now. But I'll get to it, I promise!

Clay

cbc
March 6th, 2013, 02:31 PM
For those not familiar with larger IBM hardware, OS/400 installation is not quite the same as installing Windows or Linux. I would bet that most in this forum know a little bit about IPL's, but here's some handy info, before I get into the install process.

Note: in my case, the hard drives were cleaned. The system gave an error on the op panel that related to a failed disk; however that was not the case. No output to terminal.

IPL levels on this particular system:
A, B, C, D, with N or M

Normally you want to IPL in B, N. B is the normal state, and N means "non-attended"; the system will come up without questions.
Using B, M means attended IPL. The system brings you to the DST menu, to work with disks, install OS/400, etc, and then makes you log in before continuing the IPL process. Asks you current day/time and other things before coming all the way up.

IPL in D, M to "boot" off a different device, in this case the CD-ROM drive. Starting with the "I_BASE_01" disk, power on the system, and watch many codes fly on the op panel, the processor activity light flicker, and listen to the drives chatter as the system installs the "LIC", licensed internal code. It will take a while... however at the end of that, there is finally output on the terminal. A very cool ASCII (EBCDIC?) art screen that says "OS/400". Well, I thought it was cool anyway!

Going through the standard "language selection" (default number *should* be English, check the IBM manual online to be sure), and then date/time info, and probably some disk config, it's time to install the system. The menus are pretty straight forward, and I felt everything was easy to follow especially being so new to the system. At this point, you basically initialize at least one disk, and proceed to install OS/400 from the remaining CD's.

During this process, there are 2 users that require passwords: the DST QSECOFR user, and the regular system QSECOFR user. Make sure to set a password for both.

So, during the last (automatic) IPL, the system will churn on a few things, but should bring you to a login screen. Log in as QSECOFR with your password; you don't need to worry about the other fields. And now you are there! Next step though I found was to install additional software. Searching IBM docs proves to be easy, and the documentation is pretty easy to understand as well (although I am a system guy). Not only did I have to install a lot of additional software (compilers, TCP/IP, things we take for granted), but I also still had to set up RAID.

When I got this system, there were 9 drives included. One spare, 8 in the system. When I installed OS/400 though, I could only see one disk; all the others said "I/O error" in one screen, and "Read/Write Protected" in another. Turns out they were part of a RAID set, and the battery was dead on my RAID card. I found a better model (2748, as opposed to the 2741 that was in there) on ebay cheap, and installed that. More RAM and a NiCD battery on the card. The disks were still complaining, and that's when I found out they had something written on them to say they were part of a RAID set. Finally initializing the disks...

RAID is interesting on this system. The disk subsystem is called "DASD", and you have one or more "ASP"s in your DASD. My process was incorrect at first; I added 3 disks to ASP 1 (without distributing data), and then created ASP 2 with the remaining 4, figuring I could mirror them at that point. Nope. So, I had to bring the system down to get to the DST menu to remove disks from ASP 1, and remove ASP altogether. I then re-added 3 disks to ASP 1, distributing the data, and then told it to start mirroring. ASP 1 went from 4 disks to 2 disks, mirrored. So, I added the remaining 4 disks to ASP 1, and it happily distributed / mirrored the data.

Work with Disk Status
03/06/13 15:21:06
Elapsed time: 02:11:41

Size % I/O Request Read Write Read Write %
Unit Type (M) Used Rqs Size (K) Rqs Rqs (K) (K) Busy
1 6713 8589 13.9 .2 4.7 .0 .2 16.3 4.7 0
1 6713 8589 13.9 .2 4.8 .0 .2 4.9 4.8 0
2 6713 8589 13.7 .4 6.4 .0 .4 8.9 6.3 0
2 6713 8589 13.7 .3 6.8 .0 .3 7.7 6.8 0
3 6713 8589 14.2 .2 4.6 .0 .2 8.7 4.5 0
3 6713 8589 14.2 .2 6.1 .0 .2 14.0 4.5 0
4 6713 8589 14.2 .2 4.3 .0 .2 6.3 4.3 0
4 6713 8589 14.2 .2 4.5 .0 .2 7.2 4.3 0

Now, I also noticed the option during the "Install Licensed Programs" process to create install media. This is key, because I do not have license keys... So I created a install tape, which should contain all installed programs, as well as a backup of users, data, etc. A sort of all-in-one way of recovery it looks like, which I will be testing soon as OS/400 expires at the end of this month, currently.

Connectivity? Yes. From my linux based laptop, I use a package called "tn5250", and point it to the public IP address of the system. Works like a charm!
Printing? Yes. tn5250 has a program called lp5250d. You basically point lp5250d at the AS/400 system, and the system auto-configures the "printer". The system wants to print a lot, so look out! *Note: I had some frustration with this at first, trying to configure a remote outq. This was incredibly easier and less frustrating.
Webserver? Yes, there is a HTTPD service. Haven't worked with it yet.
FTP? Yes... log in using your username and password. No anonymous login!
NFS? Yes, although I haven't worked with this yet either.
Shell? Yup, qshell. "STRQSH", fairly odd but works if you want.

F4 is your friend if you don't know the options for a command. F1 is your friend many times as well... and using tn5250, shift <function key> to get to F13-F24.

Hmmm.. any questions, I'll be happy to answer them!

This system is at: 400<dot>carleynet<dot>net
If you would like an account, send me a message. I'm hoping that at some point in the future I can get a job working with these.
Clay

Jimmy
March 6th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Now that you have a TCP stack installed, I am sure you have discovered you can get a green screen signon session (well in this case) a black screen signon session simply by telneting with your 400 ipaddress. Webserver configuration is fairly straight foward. The NFS file system is very much like Windows, if you have a Client Access disk Navigator helps. You can may a drive and copy back and forth for a DB2 Library. Data queues are an interesting animal. Do you have a compiler for the 400, most of the midrange programs are still RPG.

You created a backup tape right after installation, so you can IPL from the tape, but I believe it is going to expire with the License Key, but you learn quickly how to do an installation and configuration the 4 or 5 times you do it.

What version of the OS are you running?

cbc
March 6th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Hi Jimmy,

This is V5R2. I did try the install tape after creating it, and it looked like it brought the system to a "fresh" state, but I didn't do any recovery past that to test it out. I may get time this weekend... it was easy before i set up RAID; just swap the disk in the first slot :) Much faster than using CDs to install the system.

Indeed telnet does work, however I like tn5250 a little better. I do wonder if there is more CPU overhead for standard telnet though. I did install the CL, C, COBOL, and RPG compilers, and have started trying to work with SEU to write some CL and COBOL code (both of which I'm new at). Very different than programming on anything else I've used in the past!

I may try the client access stuff again now since the system is working. There was no output from the system previously when I attempted to connect via client access; but I haven't been at my windows box in some time...

cbc
March 28th, 2013, 06:45 AM
As my 70 day grace period is ending soon, I've attempted a few times now to re-install the O/S. I have not re initialized the disks yet, and I think that may be my failure point right now.

First try, I started the system in B-M, and in the initial menu, selected Install the Operating System. From tape, I installed; however when it IPL'd the system was in the exact same state that it was before the installation.

Second try, I re-installed the LIC, and re-installed the O/S from tape. Again, the system was in the exact same state that it was (including files that existed that were not backed up).

So it looks like this weekend I'll attempt again, but initializing the disks this time. I hope that will wipe all data, and re-install from tape will get me where I need to be. If not, I'll have to do the process again, installing from CDs though, and then doing a restore from one of my backups.

Still having fun with this machine... :)

Clay

ClassicHasClass
March 28th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Sounds like a great box. If I weren't such an AIX thug, I probably would have put System i on my POWER6 (but I bought it specifically for AIX, so).

cbc
April 3rd, 2013, 06:50 AM
ClassicHasClass: Well so far I'm pleased with it, however I think if someone were looking to learn on one of these systems (like myself), some more handy info would be appreciated.

I.E. to run LPARs, you need more than one processor :)

AIX is also appealing to me, and hopefully I can find one of those POWER Intellistations one of these days ;)

As an update to the re-installation: initializing the load source worked, but I also had to re-configure RAID. Not an issue really. Restoration went well, especially since I didn't know what I was doing at first; having 1 tape with the O/S install media AND licensed programs AND a backup was pretty awesome. Sure searching the tape is slow, but you can start the process and walk away. The last thing I had to do, was to restore authority to all objects (or something like that); otherwise the only user that could login was QSECOFR.

Now on to more learning! Not sure if I want to give up learning COBOL, but it seems pretty easy so I'm just going to put that aside right now. I'm leaning more towards C (since I'm somewhat familiar with it), CL, and I still need to find a good RPG book.

Clay