PDA

View Full Version : Changing boot logo on Win2k

atari2600a
June 15th, 2006, 05:43 PM
(Sorry, don't know where else to ask! :D)

I'm trying to change the boot screen on Windows 2000 (SP4). All I could find after an hour of googling are tutorials for changing it with SP2 & below. So...here's what I've done so far:

-Copied NTOKRNL.EXE & renamed it something else
-replaced the bitmap file within the copied one with a 640X480 16-color one I made
-modified boot.ini to boot with the new file

...& It still uses the regular boot screen. I've heard that it is possible to modify the boot logo w/ Service Pack 4, but I can't find instructions how!

Seeing the amount of overclockers & modders & ex-RS employees here, I figured someone here should know the awnser! :p

Vlad
June 15th, 2006, 07:01 PM
That is a very, very sensitive part of the OS, I'd leave it alone. You can destroy a system playing with that. NTOSKRNL.EXE really IS the core of the OS, if you screw that up, its done...... Just leave it alone, Microsoft doesn't let you change that for a reason. And it also breaks the EULA, not a good thing......

-VK

atari2600a
June 15th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Well of course that's why it's a copy :D

..& even If I do break the one I'm using now, I can just boot using the untouched one I have! Here's my boot.ini so you guys can see what I'm talking about:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 HaXXn\ed Edition" /fastdetect /KERNEL=NTOSKRNL1.EXE
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (untouched)" /fastdetect

tgunner
June 15th, 2006, 08:04 PM
http://www.virtualplastic.org/html/logo_scr.html#2

and / or

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-9.html

atari2600a
June 15th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks! Turns out the name of the Kernel copy was just 1 bit too long! Works now!

...I should really consider revising the image though:

http://mtac.profusehost.net/misc/bowser.bmp

(With a 10GB hard drive & a PIII 533 (at 620 :p), there's not much room for PhotoShop CS2 :p)

tgunner
June 15th, 2006, 09:26 PM
http://abride.com/mrbludottk/images/splash.png

atari2600a
June 15th, 2006, 09:50 PM
===Revised Version!!!!====
http://mtac.profusehost.net/misc/bowser.bmp

(...but, luckily, I have another computer w/ PS CS2!)

USSEnterprise
June 17th, 2006, 08:28 AM
That is a very, very sensitive part of the OS, I'd leave it alone. You can destroy a system playing with that. NTOSKRNL.EXE really IS the core of the OS, if you screw that up, its done...... Just leave it alone, Microsoft doesn't let you change that for a reason. And it also breaks the EULA, not a good thing......

-VK
If its done correctly, though, it won't screw things up. As for the EULA, to hell with it. Do you really think MS cares if you change the boot screen? Its not like it threatens their business in any way. There's a program called bootskin that will change the image for you automatically.

USSEnterprise
June 17th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Also Atari, good job posting the data showing you have a pirated copy of windows ;)

atari2600a
June 17th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Tried bootskin, I think it sucked. I'm pretty satisfied w/ the custom boot logo I have now. (as seen above)

...Well, this is sweet! Even w/ 10GB, I manage to get Win2K w/ a custom boot screen on, & Ubuntu Linux!

atari2600a
June 17th, 2006, 08:33 AM
How can you tell it's pirated? WHO TOLD Y--I mean, what pirated copy of Windows 2000? Don't see one here!

If you mean the HaXXn\ thing, I did that myself, seing I needed to tell the difference between the Kernels.

atari2600a
June 24th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Does anyone know if it's possible to save an image as a 4-bit bitmap in PhotoShop?

carlsson
June 26th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Convert to RGB and then convert back to indexed colour. Enter the number of preferred colours: a 4-bit picture equals 16 colours. Select which kind of colour optimization and dither you want, and voila you have reduced the number of colours.

cmendez
June 27th, 2006, 07:04 PM
hmm i did the exact same thing that atari did and for some reason it wont work. i mean, when the computer turns on it lets me chose between
windows 2000 hacker edition and
windows 2000 professional edition.
but either way its the same original picture.
can anyone help

atari2600a
June 28th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Make sure the copied kernel is a maximum of 8 characters long; 12345678.EXE

Any longer & it won't get recognized & windows will use the default kernel.

EDIT: Can you post your boot screen?

Here's mine!

http://mtac.profusehost.net/misc/nesboot.bmp

(Now you can see why I'm trying to use PhotoShop instead of MS-Paint!)

cmendez
June 28th, 2006, 01:14 PM
this is what i have in the boot.ini file.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Hacked Edition" /fastdetect/KERNEL=KERNEL1.EXE
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

for the picture, since i thought that was the problem i put the browser u had. and it still wont work.

atari2600a
June 28th, 2006, 03:20 PM
There's supposed to be a space in between /fastdetect & /kernel

cmendez
June 30th, 2006, 09:55 PM
i put the space in between and it still wont work. i give up

atari2600a
July 5th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Convert to RGB and then convert back to indexed colour. Enter the number of preferred colours: a 4-bit picture equals 16 colours. Select which kind of colour optimization and dither you want, and voila you have reduced the number of colours.

Just tried it, semi-didn't work. As before, PS wouldn't save it as a 4-bit Bitmap, only 8-bit & above. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

mbbrutman
July 5th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Atari, do you have any interest in vintage computers, or do you just like hanging out with this group of people?

Really, I just had Google search for the phrase "windows 2000 boot screen" and it came up with 98 hits. It shouldn't be this hard for you.

atari2600a
July 5th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I believe my website awnsers that question. Trust me, I've tried looking for the awnser to the above question. (my question, that is..)

atari2600a
July 5th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Just got it working! If I'm right, I think PS reserves 1 color for transparency, so setting it to 15 colors did the trick! I can't wait to apply it to the kernel!

EDIT: Bam! http://mtac.profusehost.net/misc/nesboot.bmp

(Press F5 if it looks the same...)

Vlad
July 6th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Hmm, why an 8-bit Nintendo? Looking at your username, I thought you would put the Win 2k thing across an Atari 2600? Just a observation....

-VK

mbbrutman
July 6th, 2006, 06:10 AM
I believe my website awnsers that question. Trust me, I've tried looking for the awnser to the above question. (my question, that is..)

Yeah, you've got some pictures posted. But here is why I ask.

You have something like 429 posts since you joined in May. It works out to over 10 posts per day. I'll bet that if were to reread your collected works here, that fewer than 20 messages provided any meaningful content on vintage computers, which is why we are here in the first place.

You post about your Celeron not being fast enough. You spend time changing your boot logo on your W2K machine. You don't even bother to open a machine up and get the model numbers of floppy drives before asking here if they are double density or high density. You talk about hacking, etc. The mouth keeps moving on and on .. and most of it is either off topic, or contributes nothing to the dicussions on vintage machines.

So I ask? Do you really have an interest in vintage machines? Maybe you are more of a customizer and would be better off hanging out with the crowd that does extreme overclocking, kernel hacking, etc.

carlsson
July 6th, 2006, 06:47 AM
I think PS reserves 1 color for transparency
Dunno which version of Photoshop you're using, but the one I got has a checkbox for transparency when you convert from RGB to indexed colour.