PDA

View Full Version : Atari 800 keyboard woes

jakefriz
January 19th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I just got my first 8 bit Atari, an Atari 800. It turns on and starts memopad as the manual says it should. However, the keyboard is not working. Most key presses result in nothing on the screen. If I push a key enough, it will eventually respond on the screen. I have gotten every key to work, but it takes 10 to 100 presses. It does seem the more I press, the better it works, but it is far from usable. I disassembled the Atari hoping to see an obvious issue. However, I did not. The keyboard is clean, even under the keys. The connections look good. Any one have any suggestions on how I might repair this? Or maybe it's just to far gone :-(.

Thanks!

jakefriz
January 19th, 2013, 03:05 PM
I did some more googling and found a solution. I had to take the back off the the keyboard and peel off the mylar foil. Even though it appeared clean, I wiped it down with isopropyl alcohol. It took 2 tries to get the mylar aligned. On the first try, one row of keys did not work at all. On the 2nd try all the keys work with each key press.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/180934-helpmy-keyboard-for-my-atari-800-does-not-work/

retrobits
January 20th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Yep, at first glance, it sounded like a loose or dirty connection, based on the symptoms you described. Glad to hear you got it working!