PDA

View Full Version : My RiG!

atari2600a
June 22nd, 2006, 06:24 AM
Just thought I'd share some photos of my rig here. (Please note that I ONLY payed for the WLAN card; the rest I got my hands on for free!)

Specs:

-PIII "Katmai" 533MHz, (OCd to 620MHz:p) (Will be Celeron 1000GHz, thanks to Alexkerhead!!!)
-256MB SDRAM
-WLAN card
-TNT2 Model 64 AGP video card
-Diamond Stealth II S220 PCI video card (Can't get the drivers working for some reason...)
-10GB WD Hard Disk (Was a 40GB SG, but my PSU killed it :( )
-CD-R/CD-RW Drive
-1 1/2" Floppy Drive
-Random VGA CRT @ 1024X768 100Hz
-Random VGA CRT @ 1024X768 60Hz (not usable due to lack of freaking video drivers!)

So...Here's those photos:
http://mtac.profusehost.net/misc/desktop1.jpg
http://mtac.profusehost.net/misc/desktop2.jpg
http://mtac.profusehost.net/misc/desktop3.jpg
http://mtac.profusehost.net/misc/desktop4.jpg

...So, for something thrown together for free, what do you guys think?

dongfeng
June 22nd, 2006, 07:01 AM
Celeron 1000GHz? :o ;)

Looks like your having fun :)

USSEnterprise
June 22nd, 2006, 07:02 AM
well, the processor is pretty weak, as is the video card. Time to upgrade

atari2600a
June 22nd, 2006, 07:07 AM
Well It's not like I'm trying to play Halo or anything! :p The only downside of the old video card(s) is slow scrolling & Flash movies rendering at a slow framerate during cast-heavy scenes. All I do really on this machine is maintain my website, play some games on emulators, maybe some PhotoShop, listen to music, etc... No 3D heavy apps/games really. (Although the game I made in Multimedia class, Super Mario Shooter, (As seen on my website) runs like crap...)

alexkerhead
June 22nd, 2006, 07:08 AM
well, the processor is pretty weak, as is the video card. Time to upgrade
What is your problem? Maybe not everyone's parents can buy them a great PC, I think atari has done well with getting everything for free.
FYI, I used a 486 with a 19.2K modem on netzero until 2001, so don't cut people's stuff down, sometimes they can't afford a new machine. You're a Prick

Edit:
Atari, if I find it, I tihnk I have a 9000pro laying around I could send your way, just gotta find it. ^_^

atari2600a
June 22nd, 2006, 07:14 AM
A Radeon 9000 Pro!? :p:p:p!!!?!!?

...By the way, don't you own a PC repair shop? How'd you get stuck w/ a 486?

Chris2005
June 22nd, 2006, 07:24 AM
I didn't buy anything Pentium based until the spring of 2000. It was a used mobo LOL w/a P166. The case was an AT ff desktop - $10, w/ps. I bought windows 98se, and a 20gig WD hard drive (AND FORGOT TO CASH THE REBATE CHECK BEFORE IT EXPIRED!). Had to go searching around for a PCI video card. Found a used one (lol) for $15. Later returned it...the display would flicker and dim down. Later learned it was the crap mobo, cuz I sprung for a new card. I still got the box - currently has a NOS Micronics mobo, same cpu, and....an IBM PGA clone dual graphics card by Vermont Microsystems, onboard 80188 uP (a rare find not to be repeated). It only emulates CGA LOL, yet if you know how to program it, it'll do all sorts of advanced graphic tricks. Ok, no we're not going there anytime soon.
Prior to that, I had a DEC pizza box 486 thing. It was ok, the nicest feature being the ability to sync to a large obsolete "workstation" type monitor, when I learned about them in the mid 90s, I'd scarf up as many as I could ($10-100). Unfortunately though, it only supported (make that emulated) standard VGA. It had a weird TI graphics processor, that was pretty advanced fwiu, but only umulated ps/2 style vga.
Right now I got a P4 ECS mobo sitting in the box. No cpu. Anyone got a cheap socket 478 P4 surplus to their needs? I think I got a stick of ram lying around. And a tower case sitting in the box. And a power supply. About 800 gigs of unused hard disks...

dongfeng
June 22nd, 2006, 07:56 AM
I find it actually more fun putting together an older PC system than I do a new one! I've just put together a 486 SX25, with 4MB memory and a 200-something MB hard drive. The only two things I had to buy where the CMOS battery (~$2) and an I/O card since the original has been lost (~$4). Can't wait to boot it up!!!

Atari, I had a very similar system (PIII 800MHz / 20GB / 256MB / 32MB graphics) which I used to test stuff out on as not to jeopdise my everyday machine. The mainboard died taking the processor with it, but it's now running a 1GHz P3 and Intel M/B a friend gave me in exchange for fixing his computer. It's now running a dual-boot of Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux.

atari2600a
June 22nd, 2006, 08:01 AM
That reminds me!

Specs (Cont'd):

-Dual-boot w/ Win2K & Ubuntu Linux

(Sorry since the above syntax is most likely incorrect)

The thing that sucks is that It didn't automatically detect my WLAN card & I don't know enough about linux to get it to work w/ it properly, so I can't get on the internet w/ it in Ubuntu, & therefore can't do anything! (I can't even play MP3's!)

Terry Yager
June 22nd, 2006, 08:04 AM
Me too! I started using a Pentium in 2000, after the last surviving local BBS went down because the Galacticom Software didn't survive the Y2K thing, so I hadda start paying for my Internet access for the first time since 1991 and I needed a little more horsepower.

--T

USSEnterprise
June 22nd, 2006, 08:14 AM
What is your problem? Maybe not everyone's parents can buy them a great PC, I think atari has done well with getting everything for free.
FYI, I used a 486 with a 19.2K modem on netzero until 2001, so don't cut people's stuff down, sometimes they can't afford a new machine. You're a Prick

Edit:
Atari, if I find it, I tihnk I have a 9000pro laying around I could send your way, just gotta find it. ^_^
Parent's paying for my computer? No flippin way. I've paid for every computer I've had, and am working to pay for my next. Granted, its a good computer from free parts, but its not exactly modern. Additionally, I don't understand why I am a prick for saying a person's PC could stand an upgrade.

atari2600a
June 22nd, 2006, 08:22 AM
Oh no you didn't! *Snap (X3)* :p

Terry Yager
June 22nd, 2006, 08:28 AM
Children, behave! Does someone need a time-out?

--T

atari2600a
June 22nd, 2006, 08:31 AM
*Deep breath* Please don't say that anymore Terry Yager. No offence, but it's disturbing, & makes you sound like a sexual predator or something...

mbbrutman
June 22nd, 2006, 08:35 AM
That's a very good entry level Linux box. Fast enough to browse and compile code with, and low tech enough such that the driver support should be pretty good.

I would put a normal Ethernet card on it. They are cheap enough to justify it, and without a network connection a machine is kind of useless. You can't get updates, browse, etc.

Once connected, you can spend years reading 'howto' guides on how to make it run better, discover new applications, learn the ancient lore, etc ..

mbbrutman
June 22nd, 2006, 08:38 AM
Atari - you are talking about the post at 11:28? What am I missing here?

atari2600a
June 22nd, 2006, 08:38 AM
I can't; The PC is on the exact opposite part of the house as the router/modem.

USSEnterprise
June 22nd, 2006, 08:46 AM
Linux has horrible support for wireless cards. Just get a 100 foot ethernet cable and string it through the house. I got mine out of someone's trash

atari2600a
June 22nd, 2006, 09:42 AM
Impossible. I'd have to start at my closet, go through my room, the hallway, the livingroom, the hard-wood kitchen, through a sliding door, & end at the room built as an extention at the end of my house.

USSEnterprise
June 22nd, 2006, 10:20 AM
you have an attic?

atari2600a
June 22nd, 2006, 10:26 AM
Yes, but I'd rather just find some lines in the Linux Kernel to change than drill 2 holes in my roof, & go up into the attic for an hour trying to get a cable to my computer.

Terry Yager
June 22nd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Atari - you are talking about the post at 11:28? What am I missing here?

12:28, in my time-zone...

--T

Terry Yager
June 22nd, 2006, 11:53 AM
*Deep breath* Please don't say that anymore Terry Yager. No offence, but it's disturbing, & makes you sound like a sexual predator or something...

I dunno, I used to tell my kidz that all the time...I still threaten my son (who, BTW, livez here with me).

--T

alexkerhead
June 22nd, 2006, 12:24 PM
A Radeon 9000 Pro!? :p:p:p!!!?!!?

...By the way, don't you own a PC repair shop? How'd you get stuck w/ a 486?
PC Repair business, since 2002. ^_^

alexkerhead
June 22nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Additionally, I don't understand why I am a prick for saying a person's PC could stand an upgrade.
Because you darned well he already knows it. It's not uncommon knowledge.

Terry Yager
June 22nd, 2006, 02:58 PM
Because you darned well he already knows it. It's not uncommon knowledge.

Children...! Don't make me start counting.

--T

USSEnterprise
June 22nd, 2006, 03:05 PM
you are a poopy head! I want my mommy!

Terry Yager
June 22nd, 2006, 03:18 PM
you are a poopy head! I want my mommy!

OK, that does it! Five minutes in the time-out chair for you! ...And don't give me none of them puppy-dog eyes...

--T

Chris2005
June 22nd, 2006, 03:40 PM
well I'm going to drag my nails against the blackboard if y'all don't quit it right now!

"Me too! I started using a Pentium in 2000, after the last surviving local BBS went down because the Galacticom Software didn't survive the Y2K thing, so I hadda start paying for my Internet access for the first time since 1991 and I needed a little more horsepower."

I just wanted to play around with VStudio. Maybe the 486 would have been alright, but come to think of it maybe that thing upped and died!

Vlad
June 22nd, 2006, 07:28 PM
OK that's enough out of all of you. We're all adults here, lets act like it. This thread can be locked, but lets not make it come to that.....

-VK

atari2600a
June 23rd, 2006, 02:09 AM
Great news! My father suprised me today w/ a dual-core(Socket-370 & Slot-1) mobo! (All I asked for was a slocket adapter!) Tommorrow (well, today, really...), once I can get my hands on some rubbing alcohol, I'm gonna put the celeron & heatsync that Alexkerhead gave me on it, & then try to find some documentation for it! (All I got was the mobo, a PIII 550MHz Katmai, a recept, & the anti-static-bag-thing; no documentation or drivers)

(DAMN, having a computer process CD audio through the CPU & sound card instead of through the drive's hardware makes a BIG difference!)

Mad-Mike
June 23rd, 2006, 11:15 AM
And I guess my Pentium III 1000 GHz w/512MB of RAM is a slow machine too, even though it can run Unreal II/Postal 2 at full frame rate.....lol....

When I started muddling with computers at the age of 19 (2006ish), I started out with a 386 SX, and the first thing I did to that thing, swap in a freebie 486 DX-33 system board from a ZEOS machine. I used that comptuer for six months for everything from internet surfing to games to even NES Emulation (this 486 was a real stretch, no VLB, no upgradable L2 Cache, no SVGA, no high speed serial, it was one of the early ones), then I got an IBM PC-330 100DX4 that I used for almost 2 years as my main machine, and overlapping those two years, I assembed what became the GEM that I have now, which was my first Pentium box, only a mere 120MHz in the beginning, and since 2002, I've built the GEM up from a 386/20 Mhz full size AT clone to a Pentium III Micro ATX machine in a heavily modified case, and now, 5 years after an old friend got a brand new Compaq Presario 7000 933 Mhz Pentium III, my 1 GIGAHERTZ PIII is considered slow, lol, you coulda' fooled me.

I just built a 486 DX4 that's sitting on my desk next to me right now, that thing runs Windows For Workgroups 3.11 and DOS 6.22 and is every bit as fast as the PIII I have. It's all about how you tweak the hardware and software, not how much power it has.

atari2600a
June 23rd, 2006, 12:07 PM
Indeed, the first thing I do when I install Windows is tweak the registry; change showmenudelay to 500ms, WaitToKillApp to 0, etc...

80sFreak
June 23rd, 2006, 02:45 PM
And I guess my Pentium III 1000 GHz w/512MB of RAM is a slow machine too, even though it can run Unreal II/Postal 2 at full frame rate.....lol....

Would you consider selling your 1000 *GHz* P3? http://img116.exs.cx/img116/8935/s6vhaha.gif

Cheers,

80sFreak

http://img116.exs.cx/img116/6469/g5cgrin.gif

atari2600a
June 23rd, 2006, 03:21 PM
Wouldn't that be 1THz or something?

alexkerhead
June 23rd, 2006, 03:22 PM
I have a 1200GHz P3.

carlsson
June 25th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Yeah, that would be roughly 250 times the highest known clock frequencies of today's CPUs. Probably it would melt down instantly if it was even possible to achieve.

mbbrutman
June 26th, 2006, 06:24 AM
I have a 1200GHz P3.

I think you meant 1.2GHz, not 1200GHz. Hence Carlsson's comment.

bbcmicro
June 26th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Are there even any 1Thz+ processors out there for the public?

Vlad
June 26th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I doubt anything outside of an R&D lab can come anywhere remotly close to 1THz. Even then I bet its pretty unstable.....

-VK

tgunner
June 26th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Nope. The fastest processors available to the public are the one's from Intel, and AMD; as well as the G5, and other PPC chip's, whose speed's are about the same as Intel's and AMD's.

carlsson
June 26th, 2006, 12:14 PM
I doubt even R&D experiments with insane clock frequencies, when there could be so many more meaningful architecture improvements (larger cores, dual cores, different pipelining, other bus interfacing, different instruction sets, completely different ways of thinking). I'm sure in a matter of five years, clock frequency has no meaning when it comes to CPUs, and perhaps not for other computer components neither.

Mad-Mike
June 26th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Would you consider selling your 1000 *GHz* P3? http://img116.exs.cx/img116/8935/s6vhaha.gif

Cheers,

80sFreak

http://img116.exs.cx/img116/6469/g5cgrin.gif

Heck no, I gotta have it, it's pretty rad. That was mostly a snap at the guy calling that 1GHz P4 system slow. Shoot, I got a 486 that runs Windows For Workgroups 3.11 just as fast as my PIII runs Windows 98, it's all in how you tweak the system, not how fast it goes. I got a 286 that runs DSL internet too.

As with carlsson's comment, I wish they'd get back to designing PC's as actual TOOLS and not bling bling "pimp rides" of the desktop. I like a little blue light here and there, that's for sure, but I'm so tired of cases that look like they were designed by Tyco. While nice to look at, it's stopped being original, everyone has one now.

Here's a pic of my main PIII rig, AT keyboard, LCD, and all.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/executioner020983/gemfullimage.jpg

alexkerhead
June 26th, 2006, 12:55 PM
I think you meant 1.2GHz, not 1200GHz. Hence Carlsson's comment.
Sure wish it was a 1200GHz, but I was kidding when I made that post.. I try to be accurate and would have edited it if it were a mistake, I think.;)
I normally don't make "I have" posts.:biggrin:

mbbrutman
June 26th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Ah, ok .. the joke was a little too straight-faced for me to pick up on.

(Note: must club moderators over the head when using subtle humor. Also, speak slowly and clearly.)

alexkerhead
June 26th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah, mad-mike's PC rulez all.
Mike, I know how it is, I had the compaq portable III running arachne...hehe on 5Mb cable.

alexkerhead
June 26th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Ah, ok .. the joke was a little too straight-faced for me to pick up on.

(Note: must club moderators over the head when using subtle humor. Also, speak slowly and clearly.)
Ah, ok, I can see how it was too blunt. I have never been to great with subtleties.

carlsson
June 26th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Anyway, this is my current PC, after inserting a dummy 5.25" drive. Notice the unusual positioning of the boot hard disk; it didn't fit in the normal space and the back plate of my case has perfectly spaced holes to fit two screws. Maybe not the optimal solution, but it'll do for now.

http://www.anders.sfks.se/pics/minpc.jpg

I'm one power connector too short to connect the 5.25" drive anyway, if I got it to function. What you can't see on the picture is that one IDE cable and one power cable goes out in the rear (through an expansion slot hole). The IDE cable connects to a 2.5" adapter for temporary connecting a such drive. The power cable is used to power a Commodore 1541 on the shelf above the computer. Perhaps I should watch out so I don't draw too much power at once.

Chris2005
June 26th, 2006, 03:17 PM
"Here's a pic of my main PIII rig, AT keyboard, LCD, and all."

Where did you get that case??? It looks awful 80s to me. Even the earlyish Dell/PCs Limited cases had clock speed meters. Or is it an actual PCs Limited case?

alexkerhead
June 26th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Where did you get that case??? It looks awful 80s to me. Even the earlyish Dell/PCs Limited cases had clock speed meters. Or is it an actual PCs Limited case?
He modified a AT clone case to hold atx equipment. He also cut out the key lock and added the little display. It is from the 80s. I think his display displays the temp however, not speed.
He uses a ps/2 to at converter for the at keyboard.

Chris2005
June 26th, 2006, 04:14 PM
right, I'd just like to know what the monniker reads. Kinda looks like an early PCs Limited case, similar anyway.

Chris2005
June 26th, 2006, 04:17 PM
and just the other day I was thinking how cool it would be to put some modernish equipment inside an old box. Not so much just and AT case (as cool as that looks) but inside like an all in one type machine - NCR PC4, of which I have in mono, or even better inside a LISA! Woohoo wouldn't that tick some Mac goorews off!

carlsson
June 26th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Me too. My modern computer now sports a 540 MB hard disk, a rather new (but yet AT interface) Key Tronic and a dummy 5.25" drive. The 3.5" floppy isn't quite brand new neither.

The keyboard is patched with black tape to compensate for its poor opening mechanisms and connected via a PS/2 converter. I also have a converter for the other way around just in case I'd need it some day, plus a PS/2 to DB9 converter for my Microsoft mouse.

Mad-Mike
June 26th, 2006, 09:35 PM

Nope, it's a GEM Computer Products AT Clone from Norcross Georgia, the chassis is styled very very closely to the Compaq Deskpro 286/386 machines, but instead of having a solid plate on one side, there was a regular control panel with a reset button, turbo, power, and HDD LED's, as well as a keyswitch. It uses the exact same drive rails the Compaqs do as well.

Here's an original pic of what it was like when I started out earlier on, as a Pentium 120.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/executioner020983/d68f.jpg

It was originally a 386 DX-20, but I kept upgrading and upgrading till the computer outgrew the chassis, then I thought "why the heck not, I love this case", and decided to modify it to fit Micro-ATX components (except the Power Supply, which is a custom shop job consisting of Micro-ATX gateway PSU guts, and an original AT power supply with the original paddle switch swapped out for a "BIG RED BUTTON (TM)"). Extra fans were added for cooling, and a Compaq 3.5" Hard Disk tray was appended to the inner front grill to mount the hard disk on.

I've never seen an early PC's Limited before, I would love to see a picture, since one of my favorite things about old IBM Compatibles, is how many different and wacko case designs there were out there. As far as other favorite cases of mine, are the Compaq Deskpro 8086/286/386, AST Premium 286, and the Zenith Data Systems Z-249 desktop (with 9 !!! Expansion slots). Today it's like they just slap a different faceplate and different top cover on a chassis designed in 1998.

Mad-Mike
June 26th, 2006, 09:41 PM
He modified a AT clone case to hold atx equipment. He also cut out the key lock and added the little display. It is from the 80s. I think his display displays the temp however, not speed.

Yeah, they keyboard uses a PS/2 converter in back, which runs through a cable that runs under the motherboard to the front AT jack, and then my keyboard plugs in there (more hot-swappable than PnP, and way more reliable). It also has a pair of lights mounted between the drives in the 5.25" drive bays so I can read diskette labels in the dark. As for the digital readout, no it does not measure temp, actually, all it does it shows gibberish, like I overclocked a 386 to 1 GHz, and it fried the clock, it's sort of a continuation on the 1988-1993ish gimmick of those digital readouts in the case that don't do anything except change numbers when the turbo button is switched on or off, except this time, the "lie" is "I cranked that old 386/20 so high in speed, the digital readout turned to gibberish". That whole section of panel is completeley unoriginal, the original grey plastic started to peel off, so I just took it all off, painted it black, and added a 3.5" drive bay cover with the Turbo/HDD/Power LED's and Digital readout from an old rusted out tower system I had laying around.

Mad-Mike
June 26th, 2006, 09:43 PM
right, I'd just like to know what the monniker reads. Kinda looks like an early PCs Limited case, similar anyway.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/executioner020983/gemlogo.jpg