PDA

View Full Version : Power problems

atari2600a
June 23rd, 2006, 06:40 AM
...Well, not quite a power problem, as I don't know exactly what the problem is!

I installed a dual-core mobo (Slot-1 & Socket 370) in my PC, & worked perfectly w/ just the slot-1 PIII Katmai 550MHz that came w/ it. Today, I installed a 1GHz Celeron in it, along w/ the cpu fan & heatsync, & also a second chassis fan.

Now, It goes through POST once, then it resets, & while doing so, the Power LED goes off & the HDD LED stays on. After it restarts, it just keeps restarting, with maybe the video card BIOS info showing once in a while.

Anyone know what's going on?

By the way, I'm using a 450W ATX PSU, if anyone thinks it's a power problem...

mbbrutman
June 23rd, 2006, 06:52 AM
If it's not vintage, it's off topic. The thread has been moved.

atari2600a
June 23rd, 2006, 06:53 AM
NOOOOOO! *runs off & cries*

zerati9
June 23rd, 2006, 07:00 AM
Sounds like there is an incompatibility somewhere....what you can do is try to backtrack one step at a time and notice the results until you can pinpoint exactly where the incompatibility is ;)

dongfeng
June 23rd, 2006, 07:08 AM
Maybe you have to set jumpers for the faster processor. I had to do that when I upgraded a 600MHz Celeron to an 800MHz Pentium.

atari2600a
June 23rd, 2006, 07:29 AM
...Yeah, about that, I don't know what motherboard I have. I'll try to write it down fast enough before it resets, & then I'll download a manual & print it.

Both cpu's use the same bus speed though, just different multipliers...

mbbrutman
June 23rd, 2006, 07:31 AM
NOOOOOO! *runs off & cries*

Funny. But come on, you know better by now. I really don't like it when the regulars don't know where to post .. it just makes extra work.

tgunner
June 23rd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Wait, your not using both CPU's at once are you??? These types of board are designed to work with a Socket 370 CPU, -OR- a Slot 1 processor. You can't use both at once. These dual option boards were supposed to be a selling point around the time that 370 and slot 1 were competing against each other.

tgunner
June 23rd, 2006, 08:42 AM
Or maybe there is a jumper to switch between 370 and slot 1?

atari2600a
June 23rd, 2006, 09:09 AM
Well I read the manual, & it says that you CAN use both at once, but the 370's multiplier is gonna be locked at 2. (...& the jumper settings mean nothing for cpu's 500MHz+) Knowing this, I removed the 550MHz Slot-1 PIII, & everything worked perfectly! (If it where a case where the multipier would of been locked at 10...)

Everything's up & running, & I'm even using it to post this message! The only problem, though, is that my mouse died somehow (Hopefully! I really hope it's not anything on the mobo!!!) Even so, just like anyone who's adept to vintage computers, I can still navigate through everything using the keyboard. Hurra-- I mean, Qapla! (Man, almost lost grip of my trekkie there for a second!)

I have a spare mouse in the attic, so by then, everything should be back to normal! But for now, I want to se how much better flash videos run on this new CPU! Thanks again Alexkerhead!

atari2600a
June 23rd, 2006, 10:35 AM
OK, so now I'm having freaking MOUSE PROBLEMS!!!!! It's a software problem, as my mouse works in Linux but not Win2K. Anyone know what's going on?

atari2600a
June 23rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
Fixed it! Turns out my mouse died! Good thing I had a spare in the attic! Weird, as it worked perfectly in Linux, but in Win2K, it was giving me error code 10 (Failed to start).