PDA

View Full Version : dell dimension 2350 no video

Jay
January 27th, 2013, 09:22 PM
So i have a dell dimension 2350 desk top. It crashed repeatedly, but it always booted back up and I could use it again. it then got to the point where it didn't boot past the bios screen. I replaced the memory, the processor, the harddrive and I added an additional fan (hey, while I'm down there).

It proved to have no change other than the bios recognizing new memory, and after the initial trial after the replacements, the video goes out.

I have tried: removing the small battery, trying to boot up with only enough things plugged in to boot TO BIOS, and putting in a windows xp install disk while it turns on.

We have tried the monitor on other computers, and it does work.

The setup uses the integrated graphics and the two new memory chips are Kingston's KVR333X64C25/512.

Old Thrashbarg
January 28th, 2013, 04:36 AM
Those things, along with the 2400s, are pretty notorious for failing power supplies due to bad capacitors. That'd be the first place I'd look. It would be wise to check for bulged caps on the motherboard too... they're usually OK, but I think there were some revisions that had problems.

Jay
January 29th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks for your reply.

Upon inspection two capacitors have bulged tops, so im assuming theyre bad. I havent had much success with soldering circuits on pcb's, so i may just have a more skilled friend replace them for me. Hopefully that will restore this to working order. Id hate to see this old work horse die off.

Old Thrashbarg
January 29th, 2013, 05:44 AM
Fortunately capacitors are usually the only problem on those things, so that should probably get it back up and going.

Just make sure to use low ESR caps... general purpose ones won't work well (or at all, in some cases). Mouser is a good place to get 'em.

BuggZ
February 4th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I may have a motherboard for your Dell if you need it. I'll double check tomorrow. PM me if you want it for the cost of shipping.

Jay
February 9th, 2013, 10:34 PM
I may have a motherboard for your Dell if you need it. I'll double check tomorrow. PM me if you want it for the cost of shipping.

Thanks for the offer. Im going to give recapping this a shot, i ordered the new caps, so i might as well give that a try.

DOS lives on!!
February 10th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Be sure to add some flux to the leads on the capacitors to make the solder flow better. In my case, it was the difference of non-working vs working.