PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Kaypro IV '83(?)

Mike Wyza
January 30th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Hey everyone. I am just starting into collecting vintage computers and just bought a Kaypro IV '83. PN 81-006. It does not come with any boot disks, and I can't find them on any recommended sites, as mine is of a part number that does not show up on google(aside from the ebay auction I got it form). Can someone help me find where to get one of these? Preferably, I would like a pre-made disk as I have no access to a dos machine with a 5 1/4 drive. If someone is willing to sell, I would be willing to buy for around 10 or 15 dollars. Thanks for reading!

Mike Wyza
January 31st, 2013, 10:26 AM
Basically, what I'm asking is is this the same as the 2 '83 and if so does teledisk run on windows xp?

Mos6502
February 4th, 2013, 11:22 PM
The IV uses double sided disks and won't book from a II disk. It also uses different disks from a 4 '84. If you cannot make a disk yourself from an image my advice is to find somebody who owns a IV and ask if they would be willing to copy their system disk for you. When I lost my disks in a move, I found this guy: http://sturgeon.cac.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/Kaypro/Kaypro.html and wrote him asking if he would be kind enough to copy a disk for me. He eventually did and mailed me the disks for their cost + postage. That was a few years ago, but perhaps he still has his collection and would be willing to help you.

Once you have the master disk you can make bootable copies of software disks meant for any of the other cp/m kaypros (well except the robie I guess).

frcc
March 29th, 2013, 04:30 AM
read your post and emailed that individual....to inquire about boot disk.
do u have a 4/83 or 4/84?

thanks

phogren
March 29th, 2013, 06:51 AM
PM sent