PDA

View Full Version : 64 bit Windows

Unknown_K
January 31st, 2013, 12:18 PM
I have an AMD 64x2 5200+ I am playing with using Windows 7 ultimate 32bit. The system only has 4GB of RAM and I was wondering if going to a 64 bit version is worth it. What are the good and bad things of 64bit? XP is the "newest" OS I have used at home.

lucasdaytona
January 31st, 2013, 12:44 PM
I had the same system, but with 2GB RAM (it died due to overheat), I used Win7 64Bit, great system! The only problems is to find the correct (64 Bit)drivers, before you migrate, be sure to find all the drivers for your system. The 32Bit system can't use all the 4GB.

barythrin
January 31st, 2013, 01:39 PM
64-bit is pretty common now with systems usually having more than 4GB of RAM so it's probably recommended. I think the market has sort of flipped over to majority of servers being 64-bit now (at least in MS land) vs years ago where 64-bit wasn't supported properly by a lot of vendors. Although still I do see a lot of funny fixes with vendors that code 64-bit wrappers around their 32-bit stuff which isn't that nice. Either way try benchmarking the two against each other :-) Doesn't always come out to be faster but would be interesting.

gslick
January 31st, 2013, 01:49 PM
I run 64-bit on my newer systems. One of the few things that I have found to be a slight nuisance is that there is no built in support for 16-bit applications. For example, if I want to run TASM to assemble some 8-bit code I need to run it inside a VM on my 64-bit systems.

Unknown_K
January 31st, 2013, 02:04 PM
This is mostly just for older games and some that need DX10 which you can't run on XP (8800 GS video card).

g4ugm
January 31st, 2013, 02:10 PM
Even with 4gb its probably worth going to 64-bit. On a 32-bit 4gb system the RAM is split 2gb for user space and 2gb for system address space. You are never going to get any where near the 2gb of system space and although you can re-map things so you have 3+1 its still far from ideal. There will also be some apps (the only ones I know of of the top of my head the Microsoft Exchange Management Tools) that are 64-bit only.

On the other hand if you have any windows/3 programs they won't run in 64-bit windows. You will need to use other tricks to get these to work... like OS/2 warp in a virtual machine.

In fact a bit of a catch 22.......