PDA

View Full Version : Bank machine terminals

Micom 2000
June 24th, 2006, 05:55 PM
As a packrat I have some bank machine Store terminals that i kept because they seemed interesting. They have small printers for printing out the transaction details.

These are the ones with a card swipe. On the rear the connections are : Power, mini din labeled RS232, mini din labelled printer, RJ-11 labelled LAN, Pin-Pad connection for customer entry, Tel Line RJ 11 and Leased Line RJ (9-pin contact). Anyone ever play with these things or find a use beside attempting to swindle banks ?

Lawrence

atari2600a
June 24th, 2006, 06:00 PM
W/ the card readers, you could probobly see what's on your Credit cards, even copy them! (REALLY shouldn't attempt that though!). This is the reason that most stores put that scratch-away stuff on the gift cards.

(Something I'd like to attempt is to build a magnetic card door lock, maybe out of a Basic Stamp, a card reader, a small motor, & an old lock.)

Have any pics?

carlsson
June 26th, 2006, 12:04 AM
I came across a Tranz-330 card reader about five years ago, and went as far as downloading 30+ MB PDFs worth of documentation. I think they were Z80 powered, but quite soon I figured out it would be non-trivial to reprogram it, and I didn't have the time or skills to even attempt it, so I gave up.

NathanAllan
June 26th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Do you have the keypad, also? You could make a pin-controlled security device for your computer or something like that. I'd also like to see if you made a crossover cable (if you needed it) to go to the rs-232 if you could talk to it with terminal and give it commands and stuff. Or put it on a lan and see if you can network it and talk to it that way. Sounds like it would make a nifty security device. Imagine if it worked in conjuction with a screensaver, and you had to put a pin in to turn it off. Ah, that's my security class talking.

Nathan