PDA

View Full Version : Atari 800 - No Color

bkp
June 25th, 2006, 11:16 AM
We recently were cleaning out a closet and came across our old Atari 800 which has not been used in probably 15 years.

We have tried conneting it to the TV via the monitor port and also via the RF connector.

We get very clear graphics, good sound, controllers work, BUT no color - only black and white.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what we might try to look for to try to trouble shoot this problem?

Or do we just need to give up on the project and Ebay it "as is"? If we can get the color going we our son and his wife will give it a home.

We are NOT computer experts by any means.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone can provide!

Luke
June 25th, 2006, 01:48 PM
You should try to adjust composite video regulator to correct aligment I think.

Something like this was in my Atari 800XL, but this is 800...

bkp
June 25th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I don't recall seeing anything like that - would we need to open it up and look inside to find it if it is there?

Thanks!

atari2600a
June 25th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Where are you located? I might be wrong, but I think I remember reading that a few European Atari 800 units didn't have color...

Luke
June 26th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Yes, you must open Atari to adjust this.
If you really want, you should carefully open it, and find little box where from TV output is going.
If there is no box or regulator, then I can't help you.

80sFreak
June 26th, 2006, 07:15 AM
The Atari 800 has a built in regulator but IIRC the cable that comes with it to hook to your TV has a phono jack connector which was made to connect to a switch box so that you could watch regular TV when not using the Atari. But Radio Shack sells this (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103471&cp) which converts the phono connector to an "F" so you can connect it to the antenna/cable jack on the back of your TV. Then you just select channel 3 or 4 depending on how the switch is set on your Atari.

Cheers,

80sFreak

bkp
July 4th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately we did not find anything to adjust when we opened the unit. We had already tried the Radio Shack connector, so that didn't work either. And it is a US machine and did at one time produce color graphics.

Will probably just ebay it "as is" with all the games, controllers, instruction books, etc.

Luke
July 4th, 2006, 01:41 PM
This is like screw not regulator I can say.
You should find this in your Atari.

DOS-Master
July 4th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I've had an atari 800 for 15 years and it never did that. I suggest that you ask the guys at www.atariage.com they know everything when it comes to atari computers

bkp
July 7th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check over there.