PDA

View Full Version : Need help with booting programs

Mike Wyza
February 20th, 2013, 04:12 PM
I have a Kaypro IV and some software from the 10, as the ebay seller said it was compatible as long as the Kaypro was booted. The machine starts with the standard disk, but all of the disks either load perpetually, get messed up text, or throw a No File error. Anybody know what's going on?

Lawrence Woodman
February 20th, 2013, 09:58 PM
The disks should be compatible so you may be unlucky and have corrupted disks. You say that the machine loads with the standard disk, so I take it that CP/M boots and you get to a prompt. Do you have any other software that does work on the machine, as a simple test that it isn't a problem with upper memory?

You have described some symptoms, when do these happen? E.g. When you put the disks in and try to read the directory, when you try to load programs, etc. Can you do simple things, such as DIR or TYPE?

It is possible that you have multiple problems, one of which could be that an application may not be configured properly for your set-up. For example the wrong terminal could be set.

bfn

Lorry

Mike Wyza
March 3rd, 2013, 10:50 AM
DIR throws a NO FILE error, sometimes I get a BDOS error; no programs work. All I get is cp/m and the utilities that come with it.

RickNel
March 3rd, 2013, 01:15 PM
If you are saying that the system disk(s) work but the application disks don't, then those symptoms suggest possibility of misalignment between head and disk.

If you have system in A and applications in B, then it could be an issue with the B drive (head dirt, or alignmnent drift)

Are you testing all disks in the same drive? If not, then one drive may need track alignment.

Are the application disks factory originals or copies? If they are copies, they could have been made on a drive with a slightly different track alignment, or on a 1.2meg drive which writes narrower tracks on the disk and these are not being read reliably by your Kaypro drive.

Plenty of threads here on drive alignment.

Rick