PDA

View Full Version : Model III/4 LDOS query and cable request

1980s_john
February 21st, 2013, 01:12 PM
Hi,

I currently only have one working floppy drive, but am unsure how to load some software under LDOS (I have downloaded the TRSDOS manuals, can't find LDOS).

I have two floppy disks, one is LDOS 5 boot disk (for model III but works OK in Model 4) and one game disk. After I have booted using LDOS disk, I can type DIR and see a listing of files. I then remove the boot disk and insert the games disk, type DIR, and get LDOS error. What are the right commands please?

Second part is a request to buy a cable for the I/O expansion. The model 4 has a 50 pin edge connector, I am looking for a 6" cable with the suitable card edge connector at each end, can someone please sell me one or point me to a seller?

This place makes custom cables but looks like $$$ (shown as CE50):

http://www.cs-electronics.com/50-pin-ribbon.htm

I've seen the connectors for $1 to $3 each (but with a minimum order).

Regards,
John

SteveH
February 21st, 2013, 01:29 PM
Hi John,

It's possible that the games disk is not LDOS format, which could explain the error. Have you tried booting from the games disk? I could send you a Model III TRSDOS boot disk if you want to boot that to see if you can access the games disk. PM me if you want the TRSDOS disk.

Steve

vwestlife
February 21st, 2013, 01:41 PM
I have two floppy disks, one is LDOS 5 boot disk (for model III but works OK in Model 4) and one game disk. After I have booted using LDOS disk, I can type DIR and see a listing of files. I then remove the boot disk and insert the games disk, type DIR, and get LDOS error. What are the right commands please?

The problem is that all of the commands are stored on the disk. It's not like MS-DOS on a PC, where some of the more commonly used commands are stored in RAM (like DIR, COPY, DEL, etc.). So when you type DIR, it has to load the DIR program from the disk -- and if it can't find that, you get an error.

Radio Shack did sell single-drive TRS-80s, so there *should* be some way to get around this to get a directory of a non-boot disk, but I'm not sure exactly how. Sorry...

tezza
February 21st, 2013, 04:29 PM
Assuming (and it's a big assume) that the games disk has a format compatible with LDOS you could always try duplicating the LDOS disk, deleting all the non-essential files off the duplicate LDOS disk, then (using the full LDOS disk) copy any files on the games disk to the now-blank disk (which at least has the sys files present for a full boot).

I'm not that familiar with LDOS, but it might be worth a go?

Terry

billdeg
February 21st, 2013, 04:34 PM
Too bad you're not close by I have plenty of untested drives you could rummage through. Ultimately you need a second drive.

Plan B: mulltidos by Vernon Hester(?) is a good DOS to read across other DOS'. Not sure how easy it is to get this but then you can read the games disk.

PLan C ?