View Full Version : What is the term for this?

March 10th, 2013, 08:48 PM
What's the proper term for the point to point wiring on a printed circuit board performed by the manufacturer to correct circuit errors? I'd always heard them called ECO (Engineering Change Order).

Is there a better or more correct term for this?

March 10th, 2013, 09:05 PM
I've heard them called engineering jumpers but frankly what they are is "a mistake."

An ECO would be the instruction on how to add the jumper to bring the part up to the required specification for that part or assembly.

March 10th, 2013, 09:25 PM
ECOs can be anything required by the manufacturer--it could be replacement or removal of a component, for example that has nothing to do with wiring.

We always called them "patches" if they were short and "haywires" if long. "Jumpers" are usually part of the original design.

See, for example: http://www.intertronics.co.uk/articles/tb003.htm

March 11th, 2013, 08:45 AM
I wasn't involved with that in a professional field so my answer may be irrelevant but I've usually heard them and referred to them as patches as well. Just like an old phone operator would use "patch" cables to patch your call through (one plug to another). Old synthesizers use cables from one sound generator to another and called them patch cables (and later the pre recorded sounds banks were called patches just from the legacy term). So to me patching electronics from one point to another whether it's a hack or official is patching.

March 12th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. Looks like public opinion is swinging towards "patches," so that's what I'm gonna call them. :D

nige the hippy
March 12th, 2013, 02:52 PM
"Mod(ification) wires" for me.

March 12th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Long ago when I was a practicing EE, circuit board modifications that were allowed to ship out to customers were simply called "cuts and jumps."


March 13th, 2013, 06:42 AM
"blue wire fix" (regardless of the wire color, go figure)


March 13th, 2013, 07:53 AM
I've heard it called "rework"...


May 6th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Such a new question, does it pertains to electronic communications engineering? On the other hand, I have a question, what composes bay area it services (http://www.trueelectro.com) or IT services?

May 6th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Hey spammer, EABOD or DIAF. Your choice.