PDA

View Full Version : Can a faulty Power Supply cable be repaired?

'Georgy Papantoniou'
March 11th, 2013, 11:40 AM
My 5.25" floppy drive has finally arrived and I was ready to set my Pentium 4 computer ready by installing Win98. My computer started up a month ago but now it did not. I finally figured out that the power supply cable was faulty, and I used the one for my monitor, which worked. Now though I dont have a PSU cable for the monitor. Is there any way to repair it or shall I buy a new one? What could be the cause of the cable's damage? Type of cable:

glitch
March 11th, 2013, 11:47 AM
It's probably a poorly made cable and should be replaced. You could try hacking it up and finding the problem, but if it is low-quality and failed already it probably isn't worth fixing.

Stone
March 11th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I see the ground pin is missing but that shouldn't stop it from working unless 220V power supplies test for ground. If you have a meter you could test the continuity of the wires in the cable.

barythrin
March 11th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Typically since it's really just two wires the fault is a break somewhere in the cable. Problem of course is if it's not physical damage to the exterior of the cable it's hard to pinpoint and not overly healthy to have your system running on it while you play with pinching the cable in certain spots to locate the break. If you DID see where the break is, you could technically splice it at that point and cut out the bad segment then reconnect it with some solder and shrink tube (better permanent fix) or electrical tape (temporary but works). I'm not sure how much a standard power cable goes for where you are but in the states they're everywhere for <$7 or easily findable at thrift stores, etc.

Compgeke
March 11th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Repairing just about any cable is possible, however where I live I can easily find cheap or free power cables anywhere, not so sure about where you live. One thing I would worry about if trying to fix is the possibility of worse damage that causes blown circuit breaker\fuse or fire.

glitch
March 11th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I see the ground pin is missing but that shouldn't stop it from working unless 220V power supplies test for ground.

Some European-style plugs actually have the male ground pin in the socket. The pictured cable looks like the type that will use either a male pin or one of two protrusions around the perimeter of the socket.

bethpugh59
March 11th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Power Supply cable be repaired I don't think so. Just try to replace a new to avoid pc malfunction and so on it's cause fire damage lol. Visit me at: http://www.fixmypcfree.com/

Chuck(G)
March 11th, 2013, 07:10 PM
It depends upon where the break is. If it's at the line plug area, you can often buy repair plugs to replace the bad one and just cut the bad plug off

However, I"m with the others--just replace it. If the cable failed once, it could well fail again after it's been repaired.