View Full Version : My Atari 800XL on YouTube

tezza
March 12th, 2013, 11:39 PM
I'd love an Atari 800 but its successor is OK too. (-:
http://youtu.be/rxmcUVYECJg

Tez

archeocomp
March 13th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Great video ! Accidently, last weekend I connected my recently acquired Atari 800XL to a SIO2PC mini board attached my notebook. I played some classics like Ninja, F15 and Fort Apocalypse. But after a while, constant "whistle noise" starts to sound from TV speaker, besides the regular sounds. That ruined my joy a bit. I have no idea what it can be. Maybe one channel in sound chip is dead, who knows.

Mr.Amiga500
March 13th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Nice video! One thing to note when talking about the 800XL keyboard is that there were at least 6 different versions of the keyboard, from different makers such as Mitsumi, ALPS, AWC - and even Cherry. The ALPS ones are light and smooth, AWC stiff yet solid, and the last Mitsumi keyboards are awful unresponsive mush. Like most things, earlier versions are best and later versions suffer from cost cutting.

vwestlife
March 13th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Jack Tramiel was a ruthless cheapskate cost-cutter. The older 800XLs made under Warner are MUCH more solid-feeling than the ones made after Tramiel took over Atari. (No other Atari computer has as good of a keyboard feel as the 1200XL, but the best of the 800XLs can come pretty close.)

Mr.Amiga500
March 13th, 2013, 10:13 AM
(No other Atari computer has as good of a keyboard feel as the 1200XL, but the best of the 800XLs can come pretty close.)

That's what most people say, but I've had both and I think the ALPS 800XL has a better feel than the 1200XL keyboard (which is made by Mitsumi). I like the thicker, higher quality plastic of the 1200XL keys, but the switches are not as smooth as the ALPS 800XL. (which has exactly the same ALPS switches as in the TRS-80 Model 100)

tezza
March 13th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Nice video! One thing to note when talking about the 800XL keyboard is that there were at least 6 different versions of the keyboard, from different makers such as Mitsumi, ALPS, AWC - and even Cherry. The ALPS ones are light and smooth, AWC stiff yet solid, and the last Mitsumi keyboards are awful unresponsive mush. Like most things, earlier versions are best and later versions suffer from cost cutting.
Really? I didn't know that. I'm not sure what mine is but it feels really solid. A lot like a TRS-80 Model 100 keyboard.

Tez

tezza
March 13th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Jack Tramiel was a ruthless cheapskate cost-cutter. The older 800XLs made under Warner are MUCH more solid-feeling than the ones made after Tramiel took over Atari. (No other Atari computer has as good of a keyboard feel as the 1200XL, but the best of the 800XLs can come pretty close.)
Agreed. I also have an Atari 130XE and the keyboard is mushy. It's nowhere near the quality of my 800XL.

Tez

Mr.Amiga500
March 13th, 2013, 12:31 PM
There's more detailed information about the various 800XL keyboards here:
http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/105170-600800xl-keyboard-variants/