PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if I got lucky or stupid

phogren
March 20th, 2013, 04:27 PM
I've been trying to make full use of a ST225 20 meg hard disk in a Kaypro 10.
I tried to get an Advent system working (It's an older K10 with the 50 pin cable near center) but using a 28 pin socket and running a wire from pin 2 of the adapter to pin 2 of the z80 would not work. I tried a Kayplus BIOS where the mods involved connecting pins1,28,27,26 together and pin 2 to pin 10 of u48. I got the bios to work but couldn't get the hard disk to work. So I tried the Advent BIOS with the Kayplus mods and it worked! I now have the whole ST225 in 3 partitions and everything seems great. Am I in danger of having a problem?

In the FWIW category. during all this I tried to use putsys.com to a floppy on another K10. I lost the hard disk as the program put the standard CP/M onto the hard disk. I had to reformat the hard disk with the Advent turbo system. Now putsys.com is not going to be found on any Advent system I might have.

geneb
March 21st, 2013, 08:06 AM
You might want to check the Kaypro sections here: http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin

g.

phogren
March 21st, 2013, 09:21 AM
Thanks. Most of the information I have seen for the Advent mod don't seem to work. I am more worried about the mod and whether it's OK or not.
The mod allows a 28 pin BIOS to go into the early K10 24 pin BIOS socket.