PDA

View Full Version : Auctions and liability and such...

Chris2005
July 3rd, 2006, 08:18 AM
Hey, would anyone happen to know if I'd be liable for using the name of a computer's original owner? Say this person worked for such and such a company, and who's name is significant enough that it shows up in google searches. Is it any sort of infringement to use this person's name, even though it shows up on a few bill of sales, and even on the outside of the shipping carton? I'm not sure I should even bother, but the person was significant. Maybe no one would know or care...

Erik
July 3rd, 2006, 08:22 AM
I'd suggest not doing it. There's not enough upside to cover the downside risks.

Terry Yager
July 3rd, 2006, 09:06 AM
If the name comes up in a search, perhaps you could find contact info, and ask them yourself (or thier estate). I don't think it's a problem tho, depending on how famous the person is. I mean, if I had a pair of earings that were verifiably worn by Marilyn Monroe, I'm sure the association with the celebrity would add significantly to the value of the item.

--T

Unknown_K
July 3rd, 2006, 07:57 PM
If you have proof it was owned by somebody and you came into that item in a legal manner (and have a recept for it) then no problems.

Not sure about the contents of the HD (if it is a computer) like lets say the lady who owned it forgot to erase the last harry potter book she was writing before upgrading to a new DELL and you leaked it I would think you would be in trouble.

Chris2005
July 5th, 2006, 07:53 AM
that's how I feel. It actually belonged to 2 eh significant people (depending on who you talk to I guess). There names are on bills of sales and whatnot. Not that it's that big a deal, but it's a significant vintage haul, and if I auction it, which I aim to do (need the money) perhaps it will enhance the value.

Terry Yager
July 5th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Mebbe you could get away with saying sum'n like 'once owned by someone famous', an have prospective bidders email you for details. At least then it wouldn't be publicly posted.

--T

carlsson
July 5th, 2006, 10:37 AM
It gotta be a real celebrity if it should raise money. Perhaps if it was signed by the former owner.

dongfeng
July 5th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Just put it on the auction, I can't see it as a problem. I've seen cars for sale once owned by celebrities, so why not a vintage computer?