PDA

View Full Version : Scary things for sale online

deathshadow
March 28th, 2013, 10:52 PM
We always have the talks about overpriced, bad sellers... but what about the stuff that's just scary... like, shouldn't even be for sale much less in normal people's hands.

I just saw this on e-fence (not my sale)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Computer-zenith-zwl32026-Laptop-Property-of-the-EPA-/151019359297

... and I was like "ok, property of EPA" but then I looked closer at the pictures:

"Property of US EPA SUPERFUND"

Superfund? Yikes, I dont' know if I'd want that computer (and it's ratty ass filth covered carrying case) in my TOWN, much less my home.

Now, I know some of you might not get this, so let me explain. The "superfund" was created to clean up toxic waste sites all over America under the Carter administration. It was in fact one of the last bills he signed into law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfund

Uhm... yeah...

Unknown_K
March 29th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Most likely belonged to the people working for the superfund division. Not likely those desk jockeys got anywhere near the bad stuff to worry about it. The only way you get classified as superfund is to have chemicals leak into the ground in big quantities (otherwise they just haul the waste away and be done with it). The old FAB Commodore used in PA for making chips was a superfund site because the underground tanks (a big no no now) leaked like hell. While I wouldn't want to live around a superfund site or have a well in the area just visiting isn't going to hurt you much and I don't expect a computert to get anything toxic on it.

To be honest barn hoarders selling old machines with rabid rat/bat poo poo inside worries me more.

kb2syd
March 29th, 2013, 12:53 PM
"Property of US EPA SUPERFUND"

Superfund? Yikes, I dont' know if I'd want that computer (and it's ratty ass filth covered carrying case) in my TOWN, much less my home.

I've personally worked on a couple of dozen superfund sites. Not a big deal for most of them. Don't drink the water from the tap, don't lick the ground and you'll be fine.