PDA

View Full Version : some peecee questions...

Chris2005
July 5th, 2006, 04:15 PM
1) can a 286 take any IDE/multi card, or does it have to be oldt?

2) with the addition of a proper IDE card, can I plug an earlyish 20gig hard drive into it (even if it'll only recognize 540megs or whatever)? What about newer hard drives?

3) with the addition of that same IDE card, can I utilize a modernish ATAPI cd-rom drive? Or am I shafted from the get-go?

4) do parallel port ZIP drives work with old puters, XTs and ATs? I remember the docs for my SCSI ZIP calling for a 386 at least IIRC. Micro-Zone Brian told me he got one working with his Peanut, and used the supplied guest program.

5) Am I going to have any conflicts plugging miscellaneous multi-IDE cards into a Compaq Portable II. I had heard that the floppy drives are proprietary, but I can utilize the floppy controller on the IDE card, as long as I can disable the onboard card (come to think of it, I can just pull it out. But then there's the BIOS...)

6) Since I'm using an IDE drive (or intending to), do I still need the setup disk? Does anyone know where I can find the Compaq PII setup disk regardless? Will a generic setup disk work? Where can I find images of IBM/generic setup disks (although I think I may already have them...not sure).

7) Thanks for all yer kind help

Terry Yager
July 5th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I had no problem running an (older) IDE board & 40Mb drive in my Compaq Portable '286, till it went toes-up (hopefully not because of the drive mod), and yes, as I recall, I still needed the Diag/Setup disk.

--T

mbbrutman
July 5th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Parallel port Zip drives work fine on old hardware. I have had both SCSI and parallel port versions on a PCjr.

Mad-Mike
July 5th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I have successfully managed to install an IDE Zip drive in my 286, so yeah, it's possible. I also have an old Future Domain Dual Channel IDE controller intended for use with old AT Clone type machines, it supports drives up to 8GB, and works on a 286 as well, I'm actually tempted to install that into my 286 sometime in the not so distant future (yes, 2.1 gigs of space on a 286 based AT Clone, who'da thought?).