PDA

View Full Version : Getting StarTTY running again (Was: Please help

josephdaniel
April 12th, 2013, 06:39 PM
To the mods I couldn't quite figure out where to put this so I just put it in the general section. Hope this is correct.

I am probably absolutely 100% proof positive crazzzy for trying this but I was able to get a copy of startty from its original writer. It was written In php using MySQL database. It was all written between 2006-2008. My question is how do I put all of this into MySQL to get it running and if it is possible with what I have what version would you guys recommend?

Here is a list of the files that I received

admin.php
config.php
config_debug.php
confire_delete.php
deep_thoughts.xml
demo2.jpg
foo.html
foo.php
gridcase.jpg
gridcase_demo.jpg
header.php
helloworld.php
index.html
index.php
lcd.old
lcd.php
m100.jpg
new_machine_name.php
news_catagories.txt
register_lcd.php
startty (cascadeing style sheet document)
startty.php
startty.php.bak
startty_backup.sql
startty_debug (cascadeing style sheet document)
startty_modules.php
subscription.php
timezones.txt
USWeatherstations.xml
web.php
winterm.jpg

END OF LIST
I know you guys probably can't tell me much unless I upload the files but I thought I would see what kind of response I get here.

billdeg
April 12th, 2013, 07:08 PM
easy.
1) get cpanel (from degnanco.net for example) account
2) restore/import the database startty_backup.sql
3) put the rest of the files in the root of the hosting account
4) tweak references, datasource, name, etc as needed.

btw - they should move this thread to off topic section, has nothing to do with vintage computers.

josephdaniel
April 12th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Do you know of any way I could host the site myself or with a free account?

Lawrence Woodman
April 12th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Do you know of any way I could host the site myself or with a free account?

The problem you have is that the main point of startty is that it allowed you to telnet into it. It is possible to use PHP for CLI's, but I'm sceptical that you have all the files needed to control the telnet access. If it were just a website, then there are lots of free hosting packages available, but you'll probably have to pay a fair amount for a VPS to run a telnet service.

deathshadow
April 13th, 2013, 02:29 AM
If you want to test it out locally and you're on a windows box, I'd suggest trying it under XAMPP.
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

You just move those files into a subdirectory in /xampp/htdocs, then restore the sql file using the copy of phpMyAdmin that XAMPP comes with... making sure the un/pw in the config.php matches.

If you'd be willing to share a copy, I could take a look at the code and dial in some better instructions for you.

billdeg
April 13th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Odds are this is a LINUX hosting account, which can be dumped into cpanel very simply. These are a bunch of jpgs, php's, index.html etc. Telnet? Makes no sense. StarTTY might also be available from telnet, but not this configuration of it. This is a very easy web site transfer with a simple mysql backup file. It would take someone who knows what they're doing an hour to get up and running on port 80 from an IP address.

Do you want to learn how to host web sites just to see if these files work? Why not find an inexpensive web host co to try this out for a month? I don't see why you'd want to torture yourself. Time is money. If you really want to set up a web server at home, then dedicate a computer to linux, like Ubuntu that has Apache and MySQL already installed so you can use these tools, turn on Apache and view from the local IP address you set for Apache web server. Get PHP up and running and then install PHPMyAdmin so you can import the database as a datasource for the PHP application. Note there are firewall ports you need to have open for mysql and SSH if you want the site to be available from an external location.

I suggest this config because you'll find the most INternet help resources.

mbbrutman
April 13th, 2013, 05:36 AM
Joseph,

Have you thought about hosting your own telnet BBS?

Trying to "boil down" content to make it accessible on old machines generally doesn't work. People try it, figure out that they would rather read the content in the original format, and then lose interest. That is what happened to StarTTY. AEIN might still be running but nobody here is using it; the author of it tried drumming up interest here but that failed for a few reasons.

A telnet BBS can be very engaging. But it takes a bit of work to get a good core of users.

josephdaniel
April 13th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Joseph,

Have you thought about hosting your own telnet BBS?

Trying to "boil down" content to make it accessible on old machines generally doesn't work. People try it, figure out that they would rather read the content in the original format, and then lose interest. That is what happened to StarTTY. AEIN might still be running but nobody here is using it; the author of it tried drumming up interest here but that failed for a few reasons.

A telnet BBS can be very engaging. But it takes a bit of work to get a good core of users.
Even if I got startty working just locally I would like that since I want it mostly just for persional use but if I ever got it back on the web registration would be free and open. If I had a bbs it could run on the same computer.
I was thinking about putting up my own synchronet bbs but on they're website I believe it states that it is for 32 bit computers and I have a 64 bit win 7 computer. I do have a dedicated 32 bit Linux server but it wasn't connected to the Internet at the time so I didn't get to try it.

barythrin
April 15th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Deathshadow's XAMPP comment is probably going to be the easiest. It's just a prebundled set of apache (for the website), php (to run the php code in the website), mysql (database portion) and it's preconfigured to work together. Not that it's very difficult to do yourself either, there are plenty of documents on setting up php and mysql with apache on Windows. You'll have to look at the php code as mentioned to see what accounts it uses to access the SQL database and make sure those accounts exist in your mysql setup with the proper rights. It'll be fine for personal use, if you're going to put it online though you'll probably want to research securing mysql and xampp.

billdeg
April 15th, 2013, 02:14 PM
My apologies, I did not know about the XAMPP bundle, yes that's great if you want to use Windows. I am guessing that the original source is from UNIX/Linux, and you may have to tweak to get it to work on Windows, that's where I was coming from. -

barythrin
April 15th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I think it'd be pretty compatible though. Those are fairly independent applications for cross platform compatibility. But yes XAMPP is the Windows ready equivalent of your typical and easy to find LAMP instructions which would run it fine as well.