PDA

View Full Version : Getting software on to a Televideo TS-802

Moonferret
April 14th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Hi All,

Just got my hands on a really nice Televideo TS-802 CP/M system. After swapping out a dead Z80, the machine is now booting from the CP/M boot disk fine. However, thats as far as I've got as I didn't get any other software for it. I'm used to using ADT on the Apple II. Is there anything similar for CP/M? Whats the best method of transferring files over?

Cheers!

phogren
April 14th, 2013, 03:30 PM
That's a very nice computer, i worked with them way back when. If you can get Kermit running then a null modem cable to another computer is a good way. Also if there is version of Uniform for the televideo then you can read disks from other CP/M machines. I use a dedicated older 486 machine with dos 6.22 smf then use Dave Dunfields IMG program or 22disk. For me the hard part was getting a workable 5 1/4" drive for the DOS machine. I finally got one (knoock-on-wood) and have had good luck.

Moonferret
April 15th, 2013, 04:49 AM
I've never heard of Uniform before - Will have a look for that, sounds very useful.

Are there any programs that can handle files within disk images? I realise Kermit is probably going to be the best option for transfering files but I'm a little unsure on how I can get Kermit onto the Televideo without having it in a disk image format that is supported by the machine itself.

phogren
April 23rd, 2013, 05:56 AM
Here is a web site with a lot of TS-802 disk images:
http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/bits/Televideo/TS-802/

MikeS
April 23rd, 2013, 09:59 AM
Check out Dave D's CPT program:

http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img54306/cpt.zip

ldkraemer
April 25th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Moonferret,
I sent you a PM.

Thanks.

Larry

Moonferret
April 25th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Thanks for all the help guys!

I ended up using a combination of Dave Dunfield's Imagedisk to create a new boot disk as the one I had was slightly corrupted and also Alien for transferring single files.

Next question. Can anybody recommend a simple text editor that would make use of the TV950 features? I'm more of a Nano user than a VI one :)

Cheers,
Dave

ahm
April 25th, 2013, 06:55 PM
I'm not familiar with nano's command set, but in general I think you'll find that screen editors for CP/M
tend to lean more toward WordStar than vi. That said, you might look at Eric Meyer's VDE.
It should be on the Walnut Creek CP/M CDROM or any decent CP/M software site.

BTW most software from the later CP/M era uses an overlay/patch area to allow users to define
the proper escape codes for whatever terminal they happened to own.
Otherwise, if the code were compiled, say, for an ADM-3a, you couldn't use it on a TV950.