PDA

View Full Version : Any emulator for early BASIC games?

Nick_Arrow
April 23rd, 2013, 08:04 AM
Hi!

I wonder if there exist any emulator for the early BASIC games from the 70īs who was made before TRS-80, PET and Apple II?
There is some .BAS files who can be found and is downloadable but I have no idea how to run these. Emulator? Anyone who knows?

Best regards/Niklas

TanruNomad
April 23rd, 2013, 08:58 AM
Depends on which platform they were programmed for. BASIC varies slightly between the computers so Pet BASIC is different than Applesoft BASIC for the Apple II. Just download the appropriate emulator (Applewin for Apple II), load the files and run.

carlsson
April 23rd, 2013, 09:37 AM
It appears you're asking for BASIC games for non-personal computers. Something like mainframes or timesharing systems, or perhaps a single board computer that may output on a terminal or printer. I suppose it depends on dialect, if they're Microsoft BASIC compatible most emulators should be able to run them, at least as long as number of columns are enough.

krebizfan
April 23rd, 2013, 09:51 AM
The non-MS BASICS can be very different from MS BASIC. SIMH at http://simh.trailing-edge.com/ emulates a lot of bigger hardware so you might find a matching BASIC.

If the programs were written in early MS BASIC, several people have written emulators of just the BASIC ROM without including the complete system emulator. For example, http://cbmbasic.sourceforge.net/

JDallas
November 7th, 2014, 06:56 AM
...I wonder if there exist any emulator for the early BASIC games from the 70īs...There are some .BAS files that can be found and is downloadable but I have no idea how to run these...
I've downloaded a collection of the early BASIC programs particularly. My solution was to re-write then into PC console applications via Visual C and run them as a simple DOS program.

I've got a few simple .BAS games done, I just found the version of "Hamurabi.bas" that I used to play and am considering converting it this weekend.

I can post the C source code for some of the games here or in another VCF section. I also wrote a quick program to convert a .BAS file into one with all the unnecessary line numbers removed to make it easier to see the structure of the BASIC program. I paste the original .BAS program into the C source code as a comment block, for easy reference and original credits.

nuxi
November 8th, 2014, 05:21 AM
I've downloaded a collection of the early BASIC programs particularly. My solution was to re-write then into PC console applications via Visual C and run them as a simple DOS program.

Since the those old BASIC programs were limited to steams of bytes as outputs, why not just use a translator? They make for messy code, certainly, but if all you want to do is run them, that doesn't really matter (and you can always hack the .bas, rather than the output file). Plus, the other advantage there is you could then tailor the translator to various BASIC flavors.

Google tells me there's this one at least one modern one available http://www.basic-converter.org/ dunno how hackable it is, but translators aren't hard to write, either. The only tricky part is taking care of goto references. Something like PERL would make it easy (both for the translator and as target language).