PDA

View Full Version : Vintage-Computer.com: The Videogame!

atari2600a
July 7th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Beta 1 is now available!

http://mtac.profusehost.net/misc/
(A direct link causes problems. Click the above link & select "vcgameb1.dir")

As of now, the game sucks.

Once finished though, it will be super-mega-awsome, w/ music & easter-eggs & stuff!

(Requires Macromedia ShockWave(http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/default/english/win95nt/10.1.3.018/Shockwave_Installer_Slim.exe))

alexkerhead
July 7th, 2006, 09:49 PM
LOL, that is neat. Keep it up, i think that will be a lot of fun.

tgunner
July 7th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I can kind of see where it's going.

atari2600a
July 7th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I pulled this together in 1/2 an hour. Tomorrow, once I can get more time on the other computer at my house, I'll put like 1-2 hours into Beta 2. But until then, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for the game?

atari2600a
July 8th, 2006, 02:32 AM
...Seriously, I'm short on ideas.

I had the idea of a level in which you have to program Daisy into an Altair 8800, but then that exceeds my knowledge of the Altair 8800, or anything Assembley/machine language related, & very few people would actually beat the level. Also, it would be too dynamic, & require too much programming.

...Wait, I just got it! I can put a video of Erik doing something from digibarn.com & have the user guess where that video was taken or what he was doing!

Again, the final version will contain Music, (apperantly) video, maybe I can find some voice samples of Erik on Digibarn. & all mods, if you can, can you send me a photo of yourself in some sort of pose? (I'm thinking I'll do a collage of them (If I get them) after the ending credits w/ a "Thanks for Playing".) Just for the record, I'm taking a picture of myself w/ a laserdisc in each hand acting as if they where a klingon weapon or something.

...& It'd really be nice if we can think of good songs worthy of the game. ("One Nation Under a Groove" gets the ending credits, A remixed version of Erik's Altair 8800 playing "Daisy" &/or "Fool on The Hill" get's the intro.) So a good list of songs during the stages is something I need to get working on...

Again, if you have any ideas, please contribute them! Hopefully the final *.dxr file won't be TOO big. It'll probobly get to 5-15MB.

EDIT: I think I'll also do William Shatner-impression narrarations...

atari2600a
July 8th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Beta 2 is now available!

http://mtac.profusehost.net/misc/
Click the above link, & then click "vcgameb2.dir".

Stage 3 is anything BUT working right, the supposedly missing video is also provided in the same URL if you want to see it.

This game is far from finished...

tgunner
July 8th, 2006, 06:33 PM
It's more confusing.

atari2600a
July 8th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Difficulty is a key factor in a game. If a game was just clicking buttons & 1+1=?, then it wouldn't be fun.

Erik
July 8th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I assume I get royalties for the images and videos? :D

CP/M User
July 8th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Erik wrote:

> I assume I get royalties for the images and
> videos? :-D

Hey yeah, their not ripping my Avatar & Signature from us! 8-/

CP/M User.

atari2600a
July 9th, 2006, 08:08 PM
If by royalties you mean more web traffic & publicity, then yes! :p

atari2600a
July 9th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Well, I'm at my mom's house now (they got me a freaking laptop!!!), & none of the computers have Macromedia Director MX 2004, so I won't be able to work on Beta-3 until I go back to my dad's (a couple days). At least this gives me time to think of stuff to add!

Remember, if you think of anything to add, share it! You're name(s) will be in the credits!

CP/M User
July 10th, 2006, 01:51 AM
atari2600a wrote:

> If by royalties you mean more web traffic &
> publicity, then yes! :-D

I was refering to the 1s & 0s which make up the users images
here.

Usually people want people to ask for permission for things
like that to make doubly sure they can use it.

CP/M User.

atari2600a
July 10th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Well I DID ask Erik if I could make the game, he said yes, so...yeah...

Erik
July 10th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Well I DID ask Erik if I could make the game, he said yes, so...yeah...

That he did. . . I guess I should have negotiated my percentage then, eh? :D

dongfeng
July 10th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Maybe Atari can give you 50% of all the profits he makes from the game :D

atari2600a
July 10th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Yeah, after I seal that deal with Electronic Arts :p

Anyways, I just got Director MX 2004 working on my brand new Dell Inspiron E1505 *P!MP4g3*, so now I can continue production! Hooray!

Anyone have any idea's for stages 5-10?

I think I might replace the spoof FTP login window photo w/ an identical Windows Alert. (an actual alert, as in a window seperate from the game popping up & saying something) The only problem is the inability to create an input box on an alert within Lingo (or can you?)...

(Damn, the PSU get's HOT! I better be careful not to set it on the stack of LP's I have right next to my bed! (where I am now))

atari2600a
July 10th, 2006, 06:11 AM
I (semi) fixed the video problem, but on my server, it loads really slowly. Any volunteers for hosting a 9MB video file?

(I can't hotlink off of digibarn because the video has to be contained in a specifically named folder, with limits to the file name. I'll probobly change the video w/ a 10-15 second 2MB one, saving precious bandwidth & loadtime...)

EDIT: *old 50's sifi mad scientict's voice* "It's alive!!!" I replaced the file, & the fifty-second load time should be almost done by the time you get to stage 3! :p

Please note that all future (& current) beta releases will be contained in:

http://mtac.profusehost.net/misc/dswmedia/

(you can get there also by going to the main page, clicking the "Miscellaneous Folder" link at the bottom, & clicking on the dswmedia folder.)

atari2600a
July 10th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Beta 3 is now available!

Updates:

-fixed video playback issue
-added level
-made stage 2 harder by adding new selection
-added scrolling credits
-made stage 4 (video level) easier to look at

Terry Yager
July 10th, 2006, 08:24 PM
*FOUL!* I protest! The 'how many bits to a byte' question does not convey enough information. The game does not explicitly state the *word size*. Are we talking 'bout a 4-bit computer...or an 8-bit...or 12, 16, 32, 64-bit, or what?

--T

atari2600a
July 10th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Yes, but saying "on an 8-bit processor" would give it away. How about "how many bits makes a byte on a 6502?"

Terry Yager
July 10th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Even on an 8-bitter, there are at least two conflicting schools of thought...those who say that a byte is *always* 8 bits, and those who claim that a byte is *always* half-a-word...(perhaps even *other* beliefs). I suggest you should try to avoid such 'religious issues' altogether in your game design.

--T

Terry Yager
July 10th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Other 'logic traps' to try and avoid:

* Mac vs. PC

* Linux vs. Windowz

* Creation vs. Evolution

* CUBA SI! vs. CASTRO, NO!

* etc...

--T

atari2600a
July 10th, 2006, 09:10 PM
...Okay, so what do you guys suggest I say on stage 1?

Terry Yager
July 10th, 2006, 09:43 PM
...Okay, so what do you guys suggest I say on stage 1?

I dunno, mebbe you could try sum'n like: 'What 'flavor' of BASIC was installed on the majority of computers in the early eighties?'

--T

alexkerhead
July 10th, 2006, 10:46 PM
LOL, I like the part where you guess Erik...
Game is coming along good Jordan.
Try and ask more questions similar to the pet question.
I think the game has promise.

atari2600a
July 10th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Great, now the government has a connection between my handle & my real name! Nice going Alexkerhead! :p

I'll put in a question similar to the PET one, except w/ Atari 8-bit's. I'll show some family members the game, they usually are able to think of stuff when I have writers (or game designers) block...

alexkerhead
July 10th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Great, now the government has a connection between my handle & my real name! Nice going Alexkerhead! :p

I'll put in a question similar to the PET one, except w/ Atari 8-bit's. I'll show some family members the game, they usually are able to think of stuff when I have writers (or game designers) block...
Hehe, I just prefer using someone's name, first or last, better than a nickname.
Try some questions about old compaq portables maybe? IBM early XTs and PCs?
Try and spread out, vintage-computer represents all old computers.
If you need some good questions, just PM me letting me know you want them, I got a few for you.

carlsson
July 11th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Atari, you posted your full name (I presume) just a few weeks ago.

atari2600a
July 11th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Ah, that I did! Must've missed that...

atari2600a
July 13th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Beta 4 is now available!

Updates:

-New Atari Stage
-longer credits, w/ scrolling photo's including (what's supposed to be) the VC wagon w/ hydrolics
-fixed a glitch in stage 2 that allowed you to win no matter what

By next release, there should be music...

bbcmicro
July 13th, 2006, 11:54 AM
lol, the credits made me laugh. I have no idea why, just a cart full of computers, but it MOOVES! Sorcery!

Anyhoo, its coming along nicely, but perhaps on the last question you should blur the logo on the Atari's, its a bit of an easy question when the answer's written on it.

atari2600a
July 14th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Quick, does anyone have any ideas for the song for the ending credits?

bbcmicro
July 14th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Popcorn!! The KraftWerk version, of course. Very 80's AND computer...ish

atari2600a
July 14th, 2006, 01:34 PM
What was the name of the artist or band? All I can find is a Crazy Frog remix of it (you know, the person who did the famous Axel F remix...)

bbcmicro
July 14th, 2006, 01:43 PM
IMHO, The best popcorn was done by the 70-80's German band KraftWerk. That's who did it.

atari2600a
July 14th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Great! Got it now! Expect Beta 5 by tonight!

EDIT: Oh ShnapZ, I remember this song!

More EDIT: Great, now I need a song to play throughout the stages. Any ideas?

atari2600a
July 14th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Quick question: The first animation I've ever made involved a pack of cigarettes appearing in only one frame, as a joke subliminal advertisement. Should I incorporate this into the credits? (Also, as a sidenote, I've also begun putting easter eggs in the game)

CP/M User
July 14th, 2006, 03:54 PM
bbcmicro wrote:

> Popcorn!! The KraftWerk version, of course. Very 80's
> AND computer...ish

What that utter early Tecno-Trash - anything (besides Abba) is
better than that!

CP/M User.

bbcmicro
July 14th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Ahhh! The truth! It buurrrns!
Surely they're not that bad? Although they do come second to the B52's....

CP/M User
July 14th, 2006, 04:23 PM
bbcmicro wrote:

> Ahhh! The truth! It buurrrns!
> Surely they're not that bad? Although they do come
> second to the B52's....

Well guess we'll have to make do with the "Love Shack".

Popcorn can go Fly.

CP/M User.

atari2600a
July 14th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Hey, I got an idea, how about everyone change their minds right after I import the song! Well, Erik agreed to it (via PM), so it stays.

Trust me, if you want to hear a poorly written '80s song, listen to The Final Countdown.

CP/M User
July 14th, 2006, 06:45 PM
atari2600a wrote:

> Trust me, if you want to hear a poorly written '80s
> song, listen to The Final Countdown.

Least that guy can sing in that song - Popcorn doesn't even do
that. Everyone knows I hate Popcorn here, so your added it for
spite. Trust me - you'll end up with Brain Damage. Don't come
crawling back to me crying about it.

CP/M User.

Terry Yager
July 14th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Isn't the purpose of a videogame to annoy the player (& anyone else within earshot)?

--T

CP/M User
July 14th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Terry Yager wrote:

> Isn't the purpose of a videogame to annoy the player
> (& anyone else within earshot)?

Not really if it's goin' to draw people to hunt down & shoot
Vintage Computers. Perhaps removing the boxes is a good idea
after all?

CP/M User.

atari2600a
July 15th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Okay, now I need help choosing a song for the main gameplay. "Spirits in the Material World" or "Too Much Information"? (both Erik's suggestions)

I've heard neither, so I can't possibly decide.

(By the way, if Popcorn was good enough for a Tetris sequal, then it's good enough for the game...)

CP/M User
July 15th, 2006, 12:22 AM
atari2600a wrote:

> Okay, now I need help choosing a song for the main
> gameplay. "Spirits in the Material World" or "Too
> Much Information"? (both Erik's suggestions)

> I've heard neither, so I can't possibly decide.

Sounds like Too much Information to me!

> (By the way, if Popcorn was good enough for a Tetris
> sequal, then it's good enough for the game...)

They seemed to be very wise & dropped it on the CPC versions -
the outcome might of been different if they hadn't.

CP/M User.

atari2600a
July 15th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Okay, Too Much Information it is. I'll have to run these MP3's through good 'ol GoldWave, as the game is closing in on 15MB. Hopefully GoldWave will take 5MB off that...

CP/M User
July 15th, 2006, 01:23 AM
atari2600a wrote:

> Okay, Too Much Information it is. I'll have to run
> these MP3's through good 'ol GoldWave, as the game is
> closing in on 15MB. Hopefully GoldWave will take 5MB
> off that...

Some 5M off!! - might only be 1.5M in DOS! :-D

CP/M User.

atari2600a
July 15th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Beta 5 is now available!

Updates:

-Redid some dialouge in the game
-Added 2 songs into gameplay (read above posts)
-Added 2 easter eggs
-minor graphical changes

I've also included an executable version of the game, for our dial-up friends. It'll still try to download the video off the internet, but at least it won't crash if it can't get it. However, if you ARE connected to the internet, there will be a short delay before the window appears. (I set it to download the the video before frame 1) Maybe I can work out a load screen or something...

If I remember correctly, there's currently 8 Stages. By the final release, I plan for there to be 15 Stages...

Remember, all releases can be found at:

Terry Yager
July 15th, 2006, 02:22 AM
My kid sez <scraping...bowing> I'm not worthy...etc.

--T

atari2600a
July 15th, 2006, 02:41 AM
Wait...What?

atari2600a
July 15th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Guess what song I have planned for the Intro?

(Hint: It's the theme of a BBC Scifi series (which I've never seen))

bbcmicro
July 15th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Doctor Who? Best SciFi ever! *Gets shot by a myriad of replica phasers*

atari2600a
July 15th, 2006, 10:34 AM
What the heck, you must be a phychic or something! Wow, that's amazing, how did you learn to read people's min-- Wait a second, you're not Phychic! You're a fake!!!
http://mtac.profusehost.net/misc/pics/drphil.gif

(All non-US citizens probobly won't get the joke of the photo (It's Dr. Phil. Part American TV show host, Part fake &/or sellout phycologist), oh well...)
(Animation done by yours truly)

Terry Yager
July 15th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Y'know, the SciFi channel has been showing Dr. Who for several months now.

--T

atari2600a
July 15th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Crap, I gotta get in on that then! Do you know if any HD channels show it? (Good thing I have an HD DVR!:p)

Terry Yager
July 15th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Wait...What?

My kid tried your game, and he bows to your superior game-creating ability.

--T

atari2600a
July 15th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Awsome! *Guitar Solo*

I'd also like to add that it kinda sucks that the US channels don't air BBC shows very often. (&, more or less, vice-versa) I mean, do you know how much I'd love to see "The Secret Lifes of Machines" right now (Sorry if I miss-spelt that...)?

We DO have BBC America though...

(Random thought of the day: "Damn, right when I decide to download Windows Vista (Premium Ed.), Microsoft cuts the Customer Preview Program!")

bbcmicro
July 15th, 2006, 11:33 AM
BBC America? The legends were true!
Seriously, I didn't know there was one.
As fer Doctor Who, is it the new series (which, btw is better than the old ones) or the old ones, where you can see the strings?

atari2600a
July 15th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Yeah, & I think there's also a BBC News channel or something similar here too...

Is BBC America really that unknown of in England?

bbcmicro
July 15th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Well, I've never heard of it. It's never mentioned in the BBC's idents on any of their 7 TV channels or God knows how many radio stations. Never seen it in programmes such as Radio Times either, but then why would it be mentioned? I've not seen it on freeview either.

atari2600a
July 15th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Wait, so then how is it a "legend"? (as you mentioned earlier) ...or was that some kind of sick foul-minded joke meant to heart people's feelings?

(By the way, I checked, we DON'T get a second BBC channel, I'm probobly thinking of a BBC News program they air every once in a while on one of the local stations. Probobly PBS...)

Terry Yager
July 15th, 2006, 12:48 PM
BBC America? The legends were true!
Seriously, I didn't know there was one.
As fer Doctor Who, is it the new series (which, btw is better than the old ones) or the old ones, where you can see the strings?

I wouldn't know the difference, having seen only a few episodes.

--T

Terry Yager
July 15th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Yes, BBC News sometimes appears on PBS (daily?).

--T

carlsson
July 15th, 2006, 01:47 PM
BBC = British Broadcasting Company, i.e. public service. It is a bit unusual, but not entirely unheard of a public service TV station broadcasts abroad. In that case you typically need to buy a program card/license to get the channel. I'd suppose BBC America/News/whatever re-broadcasts the best pieces of what they distributed in the UK channels, just like SVT Europa is a pay channel for Swedes abroad (mainly Europe, but also some other parts of the world - I don't think it reaches North America though).

CP/M User
July 15th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Terry Yager wrote:

> Y'know, the SciFi channel has been showing Dr. Who
> for several months now.

Oh dear! Well I wouldn't pay for it.

Doesn't help to have been watching Classic 60s Who followed by
The New Episodes.

OH DEAR! :-(

CP/M User.

bbcmicro
July 16th, 2006, 01:35 AM
lmao, Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee rock!

atari2600a
July 16th, 2006, 09:26 PM
OK, the only thing keeping me from my next beta release is the lack of ideas for levels. Any ideas anyone?

CP/M User
July 16th, 2006, 10:14 PM
atari2600a wrote:

> OK, the only thing keeping me from my next beta
> release is the lack of ideas for levels. Any ideas
> anyone?

General knowledge quizes are usually good - make a general
knowledge quiz which gets harder the further you progress.

CP/M User.

CP/M User
July 16th, 2006, 10:18 PM
bbcmicro wrote:

> lmao, Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee rock!

And Jamie! :-D

CP/M User.

Terry Yager
July 16th, 2006, 10:36 PM
How about a stage where the player tries to identify the sound of a Victor 9000 copying a double-sided disk? (The sounds to choose from would include a sports car winding out through the gearz, a RailRoad crossing semiphore signal, and the V9K itself).
Or a stage where the task is to toggle a boot loader on the Altair's front panel? (This, of course, would be at a very advanced level in the game). A simpler version might be to execute a program that's already loaded, requiring only 1 or 2 mouse clicks to make the blinkenlights begin blinken.

--T

atari2600a
July 16th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Both are too hard, & the Altair 8800 one is too dynamic & would require too much programming in a language (Lingo) that I'm not an expert at.

CP/M User
July 16th, 2006, 11:03 PM
atari2600a wrote:

> Both are too hard, & the Altair 8800 one is too
> dynamic & would require too much programming in a
> language (Lingo) that I'm not an expert at.

What's difficult about incorporating a general knowledge quiz?
Don't they incorporate 'PRINT' & 'INPUT' type commands into
Languages anymore?

Post one question about something - make different levels of
difficulty in the questions & have one pick a question from a
certain difficulty level at random (or what appears RANDOM to
the human being).

CP/M User.

atari2600a
July 17th, 2006, 01:01 AM
I meant the Victor 9000 question would be too hard.

The programming language is meant to manipulate the cast members, not to create them (unless you do a LARGE amount of programming). The closest thing to Print I've used is Alert. For example

on mouseUp me
alert "You suck, you suckity suck sucker"
end

The above command would bring up an alert window w/ the quoted text, of course. If you want a live example, play the latest version of the game & at the intro screen, move your cursor to the top-right corner.

(As you can probobly tell, Lingo is basically an adapted version of JavaScript.)

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot, the example I gave in my game uses mouseEnter, not mouseUp. (Difference: mouseEnter=when curser is over object; mouseUp=when object is left-clicked)

bbcmicro
July 17th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I had to guess the question where it asks you which song was played on which. I have no sound on this computer, so alas, I cannot appreciate all the beautiful music that I recommended!

And Jamie! :-D

Och Aye!

atari2600a
July 17th, 2006, 12:38 PM
...Anyways, CP/M, can you give me an example of "General knowledge"? I'm still a little confused as to what you mean...

dongfeng
July 17th, 2006, 01:40 PM
How about a question like, "identify the mainboard" and have either an IBM 5150, 5160 XT or 5170 AT mainboard show up on the screen. You could even randomise them to be different every time!

bbcmicro
July 17th, 2006, 02:03 PM
How about some questions asking to identify the prototype name with the name of the finished product?

atari2600a
July 17th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Good idea, but I only know the prototype names of game systems...

Terry Yager
July 17th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Good idea, but I only know the prototype names of game systems...

<goes into trance...chanting>...google is your friend...google is...

--T

80sFreak
July 17th, 2006, 03:32 PM
atari2600a wrote:

> OK, the only thing keeping me from my next beta
> release is the lack of ideas for levels. Any ideas
> anyone?

General knowledge quizes are usually good - make a general
knowledge quiz which gets harder the further you progress.

CP/M User.

What is the SYS address on a Commodore 64 to reset it?

Cheers,

80sFreak

Terry Yager
July 17th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I dunno, but while we're on the subject, does anyone know the base address of the system ROM on a PET/CBM 8032, and the command(s) to access it (serious qwestion...really!)?

--T

80sFreak
July 17th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Here is a little bit of info (http://www.baltissen.org/htm/ec8032k.htm) about the memory map, but nothing about the commands although the site owner Ruud or Bill D here (http://vintagecomputer.net/) may be able to help.

Cheers,

80sFreak

P.S. It is SYS 64738 .

Terry Yager
July 17th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Tnx, I'll pass it along. I'm not very familliar with Commodore BASIC, do they use a 'CALL' statement?

--T

atari2600a
July 17th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Hm, I think a simple ancromym question would be perfect for the game. But what ancronym would be hard enough to challenge the player, but not obvious enough like CPU or IC...

Terry Yager
July 17th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Hmmn...how about WORM, or WORN, or even WOM?

--T

Terry Yager
July 17th, 2006, 07:20 PM
WORM = WriteOnceReadMany, an early type of magneto-optical storage, which was so unreliable that it gave rise to the acronym WORN, or WriteOnceReadNever. A similar type of storage (usually solid-state) is the dreaded WOM, or WriteOnlyMemory, where you enter a program, but are unable to retrieve it again...

--T

mbbrutman
July 17th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I've got to ask a very pointed question here. Is Vintage-Computer.com really well represented by a game that says 'You suck and you made the Internet cry' when you get a wrong answer?

Seems kind of childish to me. And really doesn't reflect the spirit of what we're trying to do here.

atari2600a
July 17th, 2006, 07:35 PM
That's good ancronym, hopefully I'll put that into my final release, because Beta 6 is out as of NOW!!!:p

Updates:
-Minor text & graphical changes
-2 added stages
-Added Intro song "Dr. Who Theme"
-Added easter egg

I'm not going to add any more new Stages, but I'll be editing the existing stages still! My next release will be the Final Release!

OK, I need you guys now more than ever! Please, play Beta 6 & tell me EVERYHTING you think doesn't look right, is false, or you think should be changed. Also, It'd also be nice if you can suggest what Font & BG Color you think would suit the game nicely.

I need as much opinions as I can get, so post away!:p

(Executable version included)

atari2600a
July 17th, 2006, 07:37 PM
I've got to ask a very pointed question here. Is Vintage-Computer.com really well represented by a game that says 'You suck and you made the Internet cry' when you get a wrong answer?

Seems kind of childish to me. And really doesn't reflect the spirit of what we're trying to do here.

I put that there more as a template, or reminder to myself that I have to think of something good to type there. I'll change it in the next (& Final) release.

Terry Yager
July 17th, 2006, 07:51 PM
There's no such thing as a 'Final Release', just the end of a series. (I'll be keeping an eye out for 'Return of Son of Vintage-Computer.Com: The Game -- Part Two, 'The Beginning'').

In fact, even the long-time-dead can be resurected, when necessary (profitable), i.e. 'Zork Zero', etc...

--T

mbbrutman
July 17th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Dear Micom 2000,

Your post, as eloquent as it was, had to be removed. I thought a few moments about it, was smiling ear to ear, but in the grand scheme of things it was just too direct ...

So yes, I used my powers of evil and censored your post. I thought about just playing dumb and pretending that I didn't see it, but that was too easy. Rest assured that we the staff and management at VC Forum have seen your missive and that it just did not disappear into the bit bucket for all eternity.

I post this public response to serve as a tombstone for your short-lived, but once again very eloquent and direct rant.

;-)

Terry Yager
July 17th, 2006, 08:15 PM
As usual, I responded in my own, inimitable Passive-Aggressive manner. (I hate to delete anything but the most extreme examplez of spam, porn. etc, and I'm more inclined engage in a battle of wits, and debate, rather than delete the objectionable material, so I'm glad Mike iz around to help make the tuff decisionz).

--T

Terry Yager
July 17th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Mike,

When a post begins with the words "Look here, punk...!", it's probably NotAGoodThing, even though my built-in, bullet-proof BS-detector may fail to beep on some occaisionz (especially when the truth is being told)...

L.,

Far be it from me to ever censor your thoughts, but you are a highly-evolved creature, with a reasonable command of your language. Surely, you can come up with more appropriate wordz to convey your thoughts.

--T

atari2600a
July 17th, 2006, 08:57 PM
There's no such thing as a 'Final Release', just the end of a series. (I'll be keeping an eye out for 'Return of Son of Vintage-Computer.Com: The Game -- Part Two, 'The Beginning'').

In fact, even the long-time-dead can be resurected, when necessary (profitable), i.e. 'Zork Zero', etc...

--T

Trust me, even Microsoft uses the word Final when they finish a program that they've previously released beta versions of. I use the word Final to symbolise that this is version 1.0, not the end of the franchise.

Terry Yager
July 17th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Ahhh, so we can all look forward to 'VC-Forum: The Game, Zero -- A Prequel'?

--T

atari2600a
July 17th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Ahhh, so we can all look forward to 'VC-Forum: The Game, Zero -- A Prequel'?

--T

I was thinking more along the lines of "Vintage-computer.com: The Revenge" or something like that:p

I wouldn't even begin production on a sequal (If I DO do one) for at least 3 months (or after I finish "MTAC: The Videogame"), but I'd put alot more work into it.

EDIT: By the way, I think I'll find a high-res photo of the front of a CRT monitor, Put it above all the sprites, & give it 50% or 75% transparency. That should look AWESOME!!!

CP/M User
July 17th, 2006, 11:00 PM
atari2600a wrote:

> ...Anyways, CP/M, can you give me an example of
> "General knowledge"? I'm still a little confused as
> to what you mean...

You know - stuff General to Computing. Defining things like
RAM, ROM, BASIC, CPU, then moving on to more detailed things
like How much memory does a Commodore 64 have (you could do
the Offial memory readout - or what they generally refer it
as). Move onto things in BASIC, OS (CP/M for example), types
of CPUs - of course it would have to get harder, so you'd go
into more detail as to what you want, etc.

CP/M User.

CP/M User
July 17th, 2006, 11:07 PM
80sFreak wrote:

> What is the SYS address on a Commodore 64 to reset
> it?

0?!? I don't know since I don't have a C64 - a tricky question
to use in a quiz, cause you want to set out questions which
would be generally get harder for everyone the more you
progress. A question like that could be the last question in
the quiz & a breeze for your everyday C64 user. Maybe it
should be Rock, Paper, Scissors - best out of 3, saw a SEGA
game do that once (twas a game which came build-into the SEGA
master system 2? Alex gone somewhere?).

CP/M User.

atari2600a
July 18th, 2006, 03:09 PM
By the way, I redid the poorly done Apple /// photo in my game. Last time, I was in a hurry & had the feathering on the Magnetic Lasso (in PhotoShop) set to 2 or 3 pixels. Now, I've spent more time w/ the Magnetic Lasso, & I set the feathuring to 1px. It looks ALOT better now.

tgunner
July 18th, 2006, 08:19 PM
I tried beta 6, but at the end, during the credits, what did you add to the google satelite view of your house?

atari2600a
July 18th, 2006, 09:30 PM
1) It's not my house, it's Erik's
2) It's (supposed to be) a joke! Look more closely, there's a missile in the photo :p

atari2600a
July 20th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Should I change the font of all the text in the game to Fixedsys or a similar font?

CP/M User
July 21st, 2006, 02:52 AM
atari2600a wrote:

> Should I change the font of all the text in the game
> to Fixedsys or a similar font?

No, I'd use Lucida Console in Bold (if possible) - Fixedsys
simular is like Terminal & can look funny on some systems.

CP/M User.

dongfeng
July 21st, 2006, 03:48 AM
If you want to be really nerdy you could use something like DataSeventy or Winchester :D

CP/M User
July 21st, 2006, 04:41 AM
dongfeng wrote:

> If you want to be really nerdy you could use
> something like DataSeventy or Winchester :D

Nothing nerdy about Data70 - I thought it was so cool, I just
had to incorporate it into CP/M! :-D

CP/M User.

dongfeng
July 21st, 2006, 05:06 AM
I didn't mean it was bad, it is actually one of my favourites too :)

atari2600a
July 21st, 2006, 04:17 PM
Hm, & what's a good monochrome-ish color? Orange? Blue? Green?

atari2600a
July 22nd, 2006, 03:19 PM
Sorry, no DataSeventy or Winchester within Director MX 2004 (I think it's possible to import fonts, but I'm too lazy...) I'll just go w/ Lucida Console. But seriously though, what's some good monochrome colors? (By the way, I couldn't find a good pic of a CRT, but I've to something good planned for a monochrome CRT affect :p)

dongfeng
July 22nd, 2006, 03:56 PM
green

just import the font into the control panel fonts folder, takes all of 5 seconds.......

atari2600a
July 22nd, 2006, 04:40 PM
Crap, I just went w/ orange! Oh well...

Great news everyone, I semi-lied to you!!! I just released a non-final version, but not a beta version! Release Canidate 1 is out as of now! (I apoligise for the text not looking it's best; I'll fix it next release)

Updates:
- New font, text & background color
- I'm trying to pull off some kind of scanline effect
- Added new easter egg
- Minor Graphical Changes

CP/M User
July 22nd, 2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I would have gone with Green myself - grew up using a
Green Screen Computer! :-D

CP/M User.

Terry Yager
July 22nd, 2006, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I would have gone with Green myself - grew up using a
Green Screen Computer! :-D

CP/M User.

I must be *really* weird then. I used to have a color monitor that emulated monochrome, in your choice of colorz; green, amber, or full 4-color RGB, selectable by a switch.

--T

atari2600a
July 22nd, 2006, 05:07 PM
I never really saw the point of that. I mean, what's accomplished by having a color monitor emulate monochrome?

CP/M User
July 22nd, 2006, 08:57 PM
Terry Yager wrote:

> I must be *really* weird then. I used to have a color
> monitor that emulated monochrome, in your choice of
> colorz; green, amber, or full 4-color RGB, selectable
> by a switch.

Well my dear Friend - you simply cannot reproduce Interlace
graphics to the same effect on a colour monitor. Green Screens
were a standard option with Amstrads CPCs (regardless of
however popular they were), to have colour costed extra as
well as having a Disc Drive (yes that's Disc Drive) -
specifically on an 464 computer.

Of course everyone comes crawling back to Colour eventually -
I only did so when games required Colour to be playable -
however one such game - which required you to pop the sequence
on Ballons (in the right coloured order) was far more
enjoyable to play on a green screen! :-D

Interlace though kicks on a Green Screen - cause it takes more
time for a pixel to diminish on an Green Screen - than with
Colour.

CP/M User.

CP/M User
July 22nd, 2006, 09:04 PM
atari2600a wrote:

> I never really saw the point of that. I mean, what's
> accomplished by having a color monitor emulate
> monochrome?

I've heard of some people doing it for Show - but that's it.
To really go monochrome though - there's no better way than
having a monochrome monitor - which ironically enough on an
IBM - your reduced to Texted Based look, to do true monochrome
graphics requires lots of skill I was told & even it's not
easily accomplished (as opposed to the newer CGA & later cards
which made this quite archievable.

atari2600a
July 22nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
Ah, I know what you mean! As I sidenote, I've grown accustom to making text-based graphics! If only I had copies of my work.....

carlsson
July 23rd, 2006, 07:49 AM
I wonder, wasn't amber advertised as "the new green"? A great deal of early systems seem to have white on black monitors too, but maybe green is the most typical colour.

atari2600a
August 3rd, 2006, 06:18 PM
It's finally finished!!!! It will be on my server in a few minutes! (takes a while to upload 2 10-15MB files :p)

Updates:

-Minor text changes
-Removed "IMSAI 8080" as a selection from that one stage due the ability to program "Daisy" on it.
-Made the hydrolic-wagon look slightly better (It still looks bad, but whatever...)
-Compacted the filesize down a couple Megs.

Download your own copy, Today:p!!!!

TandyMan100
January 9th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Y'know, the SciFi channel has been showing Dr. Who for several months now.

--T

I LUVS DOCTOR WHO!! TENNANT ROKS!!!

*ahem* sorry. Got excited. ;-)

patscc
January 9th, 2009, 07:55 AM
TandyMan100 said...Tennant
Unfortunately, he won't be doing it anymore. Boo.

patscc

patscc
January 9th, 2009, 08:02 AM
CP/M User said...even it's not easily accomplished
On the original IBM MDA, the only thing you could do was paste together ASCII blocks.
Nice, clear text, though. It wasn't until the Hercules came out that you could get decent monochrome graphics on the IBM. (Maybe there was some earlier third-party stuff, but I don't know of any)

I remember occasionally running into an application that would just look awful, for whatever reason, on a color monitor, so it was sometimes real nice to switch it to monochrome.
Also, in a dark environment, amber ( or even red ) is easier on the eyes.
I always thought, that the amber switch on a color monitor was a cheat, since you're using multiple guns. With the green you can turn the other two guns off.

patscc

CP/M User
January 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM
patscc wrote:

On the original IBM MDA, the only thing you could do was paste together ASCII blocks.

Yes that's the text-based way of making graphic like representations on a MDA. Though someone told me about a specific program which produced true like graphics on that display - even though it isn't usually possible. All they told me was the program was written in C and they couldn't understand how the program worked (they made it sound very technical!). Unfortunately they didn't know the name of the program and I've never found such a program. I suspect the program is Public Domain or was freely distributed through of one those clubs which distributed software.

Perhaps it maybe possible of producing graphic like figures simply using text - I made such a program and posted it here Last year - though in order for a MDA display to support such a program it would have to redefine the character set and allow transparent graphics. I'm unsure though if that's possible using that kind of hardware though. Someone told me it was impossible to redefine graphics using a CGA display, however I've actually seen that being done as well!

Nice, clear text, though. It wasn't until the Hercules came out that you could get decent monochrome graphics on the IBM. (Maybe there was some earlier third-party stuff, but I don't know of any)

What the person told me about this program which did graphics on a MDA was it was specifically written to do just that - all within that program, so there's no drivers or standard way of producing graphics using that display. I'm fairly familiar with the Hercules graphics card which does monochrome graphics at quite a high resolution - though usually when someone tells me of a program which did graphics on a true Monochrome card - I tend to believe them! :-D

I remember occasionally running into an application that would just look awful, for whatever reason, on a color monitor, so it was sometimes real nice to switch it to monochrome.

Perhaps the application you were running wasn't mean't for a colour monitor?

Also, in a dark environment, amber ( or even red ) is easier on the eyes.
I always thought, that the amber switch on a color monitor was a cheat, since you're using multiple guns. With the green you can turn the other two guns off.

That puzzles me - since what I was reading about Green Screens and why they were made was generally in line with working with Green Screens in an office environment all connected with how easy they are to look at. Though if people have a preference to Amber, then all I can suggest is different people respond differently to those different monitors. Generally in an office though you wouldn't be using them in a dark environment. However with my Amstrad computers the only option besides colour was a green screen. So amber screens were made I believe. The popular PCW range of business computers Amstrad made I believe were only Green Screens as well - I'm not sure if there was B&W or Amber screens made for those machines either. The mystery continues! :-D

Terry Yager
January 10th, 2009, 12:14 PM
As I recall the story, the green/amber screens are s'posed to be easier on the eyes/other organs than the pure B&W or color, because of lower emissions of harmful radiation. Of course this advantage is lost when using a color monitor in single-color mode, it was done just done for those folks who are more comfortable working with a monochromatic display, while the radiation level is still equal to that of a color display.

--T

Terry Yager
January 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM
By the way, whatever happened to Jordan? Anyone heard from him lately?

--T

CP/M User
January 10th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Terry Yager wrote:

As I recall the story, the green/amber screens are s'posed to be easier on the eyes/other organs than the pure B&W or color, because of lower emissions of harmful radiation. Of course this advantage is lost when using a color monitor in single-color mode, it was done just done for those folks who are more comfortable working with a monochromatic display, while the radiation level is still equal to that of a color display.

Is that all to do with putting the back of your hand against the screen and all the hairs stand up? I remember the old Green Screen from my Amstrad doing that! I've got another green screen with my slightly newer Amstrad, though it's not a standard Amstrad monitor and it's got a clear sheet of plastic on the outer surface!

CP/M User
January 10th, 2009, 01:31 PM
patscc wrote:

Unfortunately, he won't be doing it anymore. Boo.

Yeah!! :-D

mbbrutman
January 10th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Jordan is alive .. We might be able to get him back to do updates. ;-0