PDA

View Full Version : Kaypro II Power Supply Ratings

glitch
April 26th, 2013, 06:26 AM
I've got a Kaypro II with no power supply, what current ratings do I need to satisfy to shoehorn a modern switching supply in there?

ldkraemer
May 16th, 2013, 08:14 AM
INFORMATION from my Maintenance Manual:

Kaypro used three different brands of Power Supplies. They are interchangeable with any of the Kaypro Computers. The Power Supply are Astec, Boschert, and Cal DC.

EXCPETION:
If a Power Supply is removed from a 2/83 or a 4/83, and it's going to be used in another computer, it must be used in a 2/83 or 4/83. The Power Supplies used in 2/83 and 4/83
computers are not interchangeable with other Kaypro Computers.

ASTEC Power SUpply:
Identified by a beige board with a white label on the right of the component side.

Picture in my book shows:
ASTEC Model AA12350
Output 65 Watt Max
+5 VDC 5A
+12 VDC 3.5A
-12 VDC .25A

BOSCHERT Power Suply
Identified by the word "Boschert" on the Component side of the board at lower right and above the fuse anc capacitor C2.

CAL D.C. Power Supply
Identified by a bright blue circuit board. A white sticker with "California DC", Model, and Serial Number is located on the solder side of the board.

Astec
1101 Space Park
Santa Clara, CA 95050

Boschert
384 Santa Trinita Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94086

Cal DC
2150 Anehor Court
Newbury Park, CA 91320

The address info is probably way out of date. Google for more Info on them.

Hope this helps.

Larry

GADFRAN
May 16th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Also go to bitsavers for a copy of the manual
& search this site for other info in the knowledgebase we developed - there were some soldering issues with some of the power supplies.

Be aware of the possibility of some lethal voltages - so also check this site for them

You may want to use someone who is knowledgeable in electronics.

Good luck !

Please keep us informed of your progress so we can add to the knowledge base.

Frank

ldkraemer
May 17th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Frank,
THANKS for the tip on bitsavers. I wasn't aware of it.

Do you know how one makes contributions to bitsavers? I didn't see any information on how to contact the folks there.

I've got some Floppy Drive Manuals that might be of help. I've also got a Document on installing and using 3.5" Drives
on Radio Shack Model 4 Computers, Kaypro's, and my Ampro "Little Board Z80".

Thanks.

Larry