PDA

View Full Version : CANON AS100 Query

timekeeper
May 4th, 2013, 11:17 AM
What OS disc is needed to boot a CANON AS100? It surely wants to go, but doesn't respond to anything I've tried.

I'm thinking my media is incompatible, too new for it, or that it's gone bad over time. I have CPM discs from an Eagle II and a generic handmedown copy of Wordstar, but have no means of testing them to see if they'd work in anything so it could be the discs are the problem.

This is similar:
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=591

Dusannn
May 4th, 2013, 01:00 PM
It looks like it can run CP/M-86 and early MS-DOS versions, but you need 8" 1.2mb floppies.

Chuck(G)
May 4th, 2013, 02:50 PM
I suspect the AS-100 disk format was probably similar to that of the NEC APC. But how close, I don't know.

The Eagle II was a completely different animal--it was a Z80-based CP/M system, so not even compatible as far as code goes. 8-bit Wordstar can generally be patched to handle just about anything from the 8-bit CP/M world.

timekeeper
May 23rd, 2013, 05:41 AM
Any thoughts on how I can get this going? The machine surely looks ready to go.. but discs I have won't do it. Nor can I download and copy to a floppy.

tipc
May 24th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Any thoughts on how I can get this going? The machine surely looks ready to go.. but discs I have won't do it. Nor can I download and copy to a floppy.

It requires custom (semi-custom?) Versions of msdos or cp/m-86.
I believe images may still be available if you google, on some German site IIRC.
I've never used the images, but I know a guy in New Zealand who played with them.
If you have only the 8" drive cabinet, good luck.
Depending on where you're located (I'm in New Jersey), I might be able to provide
A boot floppy (5 1/4"). Don't hold your breath though. A guy in Boston has been
Waiting on me for over a year. I don't post here, I saw your query in a google search.
Therefore you'll need to contact me direcly rampaging-green-hulk at yahoo dot com
Remove hyphens.

timekeeper
May 26th, 2013, 08:16 AM
So there's at least two of these still in existence. I was starting to think I had the last! Darn.

It's the 5 1/4" disc format.

This is too big to use as a paperweight... and great looking as it is it's probably better off in a display rather than storage environment. What's a system like this go for? Finding a comp would be next to impossible.