PDA

View Full Version : 301 keyboard error

dongfeng
July 12th, 2006, 12:32 PM
A problem has occured with my "new" XT :cry:

It turns on OK, and memory counts... but with "301" displayed, which is the keyboard error message.

640 KB OK
ERROR. (RESUME = "F1" KEY)

Of course, I can't press F1 to continue, the keyboard is unresponsive.

As it is one of the last XT's made, it has the AT style 102-key keyboard without the LED's of the Model-M's. I've plugged it in to my 486, and the keyboard works perfectly...

Any idea what is wrong? :(

Luke
July 13th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Other keyboards work with this XT?

I think, that keyboard auto-detect if it's plugged in to XT or AT.
But maybe swith is set to AT mode?
If so, there shoud be something like xx 301 (xx is hex number of ?).

dongfeng
July 13th, 2006, 02:32 AM
There is no XT/AT switch on the keyboard. It is original IBM one! I think this keyboard is a "clever" one, and can detect XT or AT...

Before, I had xx 301 error, when key was stuck down. But now, it is just only 301.

I don't have any other XT keyboards to hand at the moment, so I can't test...

Luke
July 13th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Some IBM keyboards had switch like clones.

You can often find switch hidden under plastic bases, even in keyboards made in '90s.
Try to do something with cable.
It was failing since you get the XT?

dongfeng
July 13th, 2006, 08:22 AM
I just checked the computer, there is absolutely no XT-AT switch on it anywhere. So, I will now attempt to check the cable.

I also bought the correct tool to open the keyboard screws! So, I will dismantle the keyboard and check it is clean inside when it arrives

Sometimes, it gives me "xx 301" error, reboot and it was gone. Maybe it is similar problem, but it has become worse.

Terry Yager is sending me an 83-key keyboard! It was for my old XT, but I will try it on my new XT when it arrives!

Luke
July 13th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I had xx 301 errors too, I diassembled & assembled keyboard, problem gone, but I think that there is a problem with cable.

In your case there can be problem with cable too.

Good luck with your 'new' Xt ;).