PDA

View Full Version : Kaypro's acquired today

phogren
May 18th, 2013, 05:53 PM
I guess you know you're addicted when you make a 280 mile round trip to get 5 Kaypro's, I'm glad I did though,
A really pristine Kaypro 1
a nice Kaypro 2x
3 Kaypro II's all with detachable power cables and as yet to be determined operating status.
More on their status after I clean them up a little. The Kaypro 1 is very nice and was worth the trip all by itself.

Mr.Amiga500
May 19th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Congratulations. I drove double that distance just to get one Kaypro. (...plus 9 other computers) My second Kaypro was only a 75km drive.

Getting a "pristine condition" old computer is great. The only way to do any better is to travel through time.

I've heard of 3 other people finding a pristine Kaypro 1 - probably because it was the last CP/M model and there was unsold stock as buyers moved on to DOS.

phogren
May 19th, 2013, 05:15 PM
update:
The 2X had a really bizarre boot problem. It had a 81-292 rom , a 24 pin rom,in a 28 pin socket. Either that rom was bad or it had been changed. I stuck a 81-149A 28 pin rom and it worked great. IT is a later model mother board so I think the rom was from an earlier model of the 2x. The B: drive(Toshiba) is not right and will only boot as a single sided. IT is a DSDD drive and has some sort of not obvious problem. The A drive is identical and works correctly. Oh well - it's part of the fun.
I also have a pretty good II available for trade. It has the detachable power cable. Willing to entertain offers/trades will probably eventually put it on Ebay