PDA

View Full Version : Um...What is this?

bbcmicro
July 15th, 2006, 07:55 AM
This is a little odd:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Apple-II-computer-Mac_W0QQitemZ190008421946QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4193QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I assume an apple II in a special casing to limit access in a work/buisness enviroment?

atari2600a
July 15th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Looks like the seller doesn't know much about it either...

bbcmicro
July 15th, 2006, 08:13 AM
True, He's also selling a non-working apple lisa as an old mac. :o

atari2600a
July 15th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Dude, you HAVE to get the Lisa! I mean seriously, you can get it for 15 Pounds, plus 15 Pounds for shipping. I don't have a good knowledge of how much 30 pounds is actually worth, but trust me, It's going for CHEAP!

USSEnterprise
July 15th, 2006, 08:40 AM
30 pounds = about $55

atari2600a
July 15th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Hm, well, It's still...not expensive. Victory is mine! *runs off*

alexkerhead
July 15th, 2006, 09:07 AM
nasty, I looked at his lisa, yellow, makes banannas look white it is so nasty.
Nothing bugs me more than smoke stained and sun yellowed plastic..

About the Apple II.
Looks like an aftermarket kit of some kind, apple never produced a metal all in one of the II. Aftermarket kit for sure.

bbcmicro
July 15th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Even non-working and looking like parchment soaked in woodbine-tar, beggars can't be choosers so us in the UK can't be picky. I'm sure it'll get a nice tidy sum, out of my price range. Curse them all! However, I don't pt'cularly want a rare and valuable doorstop.

Vlad
July 15th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Maybe it's an old Industrial computer? They are usually in speical cases to keep factory crud out....

-VK

atari2600a
July 15th, 2006, 10:39 AM
(Just for the record, I've been bugging Erik to sell me one of his busted Lisa 2's for the past...probobly 2 years)

Anyways, back on topic (Gasp! I've learned a new trick!), If you can afford it, you should get the 3rd-party Apple // kit-thing, do some research on it, & fix it up. It's probobly worth alot more than it's selling for...

bbcmicro
July 15th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Nah, I have absolutely no experience with apples. I've had some withmy Classic Mac, but nothing with the real McCoy. Plus, Apple II's and parts are a lot harder to come by here in the UK than say, the US. In the British market it's probably worth something just for parts.

carlsson
July 15th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Only because it is custom or rare, doesn't mean it is valuable. If it was built for industrial use and perhaps 3rd party, it might be worth less than a standard Apple //, if few people are searching for that. Apple collectors may go for purity and not touch a beast like that.

CP/M User
July 15th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Looks like someone wanted to trick someone into buying it as a
Mac, though end up with Apple ][ based machine.

Working out the rates:

1 American Dollar / How many s it gets (check the financial
section) = some number [memory].

Price of the product overseas (s) * some number [Memory
Recall] = Price in local value.

CP/M User.

Terry Yager
July 15th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I dunno, looks like a 'must-have' item, for someone who has collected every other variation of the Apple ][.

--T

atari2600a
July 15th, 2006, 04:04 PM
You mean like Erik?

NathanAllan
July 16th, 2006, 01:12 AM
That Apple II sure looks neat. Doesn't the lisa have a keyboard with it? It amazes me that if a system is complete, like the lisa or C= executive (the portable, whatever it is, never had one) but if it needs something it's a doorstop. If I were in the UK and needed cash, I think I'd invest in the lisa, get the system brought back up and resell it. As it is, though, shipping would kick my butt.

Nathan

carlsson
July 16th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Someone who collects everything that is related to Apple II, no matter if it is 3rd party, custom items or homebrewn.

At the time of writing, it is slightly less than 30 minutes to go, and only one bid at 9.99. As it "does not power on but I can hear a bleep", it might take a bit to fix. Based on the pictures, we only know it has two Apple II diskdrives and an unidentified monitor, starts with turning a key and appears to come without a keyboard. Before opening it, one doesn't even know which motherboard revision etc it is. It could be a bargain, but it could also be a 10 dead weight.

dpatten
July 16th, 2006, 08:03 AM
I'd bet it's probably not industrial or business related at all. Its probably an aftermarket for educational use. Antitheft. We were constantly having Apple II drives "walk-away" from the library when I was in High school and Junior high. I had nothing to do with it. Honest...

Commodore did something similar IIRC with a C-64 in a PET case for NY state schools to keep kids from nicking the breadboxes.

carlsson
July 16th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I think Terry somewhere in the Computer Hell had a C64 + diskdrive in a special casing for similar purposes. If it is only antitheft though, it looks quite heavy duty, or maybe I get that impression because it is dirty. :)

Terry Yager
July 16th, 2006, 09:04 AM
From the rear view, it looks like there's a complete Apple ][ inside the case, presumably on a sliding tray or drawer. The front of the unit is probably a drop-down locking trapdoor, giving access to the keyboard. I think it would be neat to have, but the shipping is beyond my means at the moment.

--T

bbcmicro
July 16th, 2006, 10:22 AM
It only went for a tenner, I'm suprised, I honestly thought people would pay more just for the parts.

carlsson
July 16th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Yes, I checked it live when the auction closed, but no further bids. I thought the DB25-ish connector on the back side might be for an external keyboard, but maybe it is a parallel port like the auction described.

It is true that the 6502 and other chips might be worth 10 if they are easily removable and you find the right buyer. On the other hand, in many computer circles you can trade or even be given old chips for free if you ask kindly, so only people not known by the community would have to pay a lot for a loose chip.