PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info, Gateway2000 P5-200 System

TheAdmiralty
May 25th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Hello!

I've got an older Gateway2000 coming to me shortly, from around 1996 (cutting edge compared to some of the other things I've read about around here) and I can't for the life of me find any information on it. The name is pretty revealing about what's in it - it runs a Pentium+MMX 200Mhz, but other than that, I can't find any information on it at all. It's amazing how little you can find on systems that aren't old enough to really be vintage, but too old to be useful by today's standards...

I thought Gateway might be able to pull something out of their archives... if they exist... like a manual or something, but you have to provide a serial number of either 11- or 22-digits; there is a ten digit number across the back of this, and it's far beyond the legacy section of their site. Can't send them any kind of message because I don't have a 'valid serial code'.

I'd really like to know what's going to be in this thing; some people say it has a Sound Blaster 16, some say it has integrated onboard audio, and it likely has a Quantum Fireball hard drive. God knows what video board it has - might be a Matrox Millennium 2Mb, but that's only my best guess from an old advertisement, and I'm sure they were all configured differently. Heck, I'm even hoping it has a ceramic Pentium instead of the black fiber one, just because my Athlon Thunderbird needs a companion.

These are the only two pictures I can find of the tower design this model uses:
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mg61mXfWbmgCO665FYo3MYw.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4020/gatewaycomputer5finley8.jpg
Can anyone point me in the direction of any information on this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Caluser2000
May 25th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I typed in "Gateway2000 P5-200" in google and it shows a couple pictures.

Looks like that model no. was given to a few couple of different case designs. A couple of Gateway2000 P5-200 references I came across the machine has a full tower squarer case, a Pentium Pro 200 processor and had some form of Windows NT. Then there's more rounded case like the one you post pics of with the 200mmx. Wouldn't be surprised if each had a number of different mobos as well.

Wouldn't stress about it too much though. When you get it beast post some pics here and record what you have for future reference like so many other members have.

Oh and welcome to VCF

The bios update drop down list shows a few different part nos. for that model name. Google "BIOS revision 1.00.07 DQ0T - Gateway" and the drivers are still available if you click on one of the drop down links under "Supported Computers and Parts:". Appears there were Solectron and Intel mobos available for that model series.

TheAdmiralty
May 25th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Looks like that's what I'll be doing... in a few months or so, you'll have all the information on this one system that you could possibly need, since I believe all of the original documentation is still with it as well. I'll just have to wait until then.
are
If I'm right, the earlier P5-XXX systems came in a wider, more square tower; it looks like they used that same tower for their P54C-based Pentium systems, as the same tower is also used for the P5-75. From what I've read, the rounded, thinner case was only used for a short time with the early P55C Pentiums in 1997.

I'll get back with you whenever I get it; right now, it's a little over 150 miles away, so it might be a while.

DOS lives on!!
May 25th, 2013, 04:51 PM
That same case design was our first computer back in 1997, which was a G6-233M. I recently got another one of those GW2K systems for free (also a G6-233M!!!), but it's missing the drive bay cover. I think the first one had a Maxtox Millenium card, SB16, Gateway 2000 TelePath modem, and a Western Digital HDD. None of the two I've had have onboard sound. The later one has a Fireball SE HDD, which isn't standard. It's also got the newest BIOS update. (Changed splash screen from "G" to green box.) Check around Gateway 2000's old sites at Archive.org.

I've got all the manuals and posters for my original one. Can look up any info from them if you need it.

(Love me some Gateway 2000. :))

TheAdmiralty
May 26th, 2013, 09:30 AM
http://web.archive.org/web/19961219222522/http://www.gateway2000.com/
Now that's an interesting website. Flip through to product guide > Multimedia, and it lists the P5 series of family computers... there's also a professional model which appears to only differ by the monitor and office suite. The trail seems to end there, so there aren't really any pictures, either.

Unfortunately, it doesn't list a sound or even video card as being present, which I think might end up happening; here...
http://support.gateway.com/s//MOTHERBD/INTEL/Sac053aa/MC053Anv.shtml
...is a motherboard with onboard video and audio, which may have been used in this particular model. Either way, it's going to be getting a new AWE32 or something similar... not sure what to put in it in terms of a period-correct video card, though.

DOS lives on!!
May 28th, 2013, 04:46 AM
If it has onboard video and/or audio, I'd leave it as is and not add a card. If no onboard sound, then I'd look for an OEM GW2K sound card. Some of them have a "COW chip" on them.